Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2017 3.6r white
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found these two head units online. Was wondering if anyone has had any experience switching out our stock head unit.

10.4" Android 6.0.1 Car Multimedia GPS Navigation DVD Radio Audio for Subaru Outback Legacy 2017 2018

Subaru Outback 2015+ Android Car Stereo Navigation In-Dash Head Unit

The smarty company seems more reputable to me, however I find it odd that I can not find a single rating on any of the products on either site.

Wish subispeed stocked a head unit for the legacy/outback like they do the forester/sti/wrx/crosstrek

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
132 Posts
I've been waiting for no-name Android head units to get high enough quality to be viable aftermarket options. I had a similar one in a car about three years ago. It was by far the best head unit I ever had (when it worked). Lots of functions, plug and play and I think the only thing we lost over the OEM radio was satellite radio. The hardware was the downside. The guts were comparable to a cheap Android tablet. It started to fail after about one year and thankfully my wife bought a third party extended warranty on it. It got sent to the warranty company and we got our money back.

I agree, the lack of reviews is troubling. Both are too expensive to take a risk on.

One very nice thing about the units made for specific cars, they are literally plug and play. They should just plug right into the factory harness. They also look a lot better than the typical aftermarket stereos that need an adapter kit to mount and trim out the radio.

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited
25 Posts
Android S160 Head Unit For Sale

Happy Tuesday,

I traded in my 2014 Outback Limited for a 2018 yesterday and the so-called infotainment system in the car really sucks......big time. On the '14, I bought an Android S160 (see all the videos on that unit on YouTube) and installed it myself. All the correct wiring harnesses came with the unit, but alas, it won't fit in the new 2018. I contacted radio-upgrade.com to see if they had a unit for the new car, but they said it will take about 2-3 months for them to have a unit similar to the one they sold me for the 2014. That HU came with SYGIC GPS along with all the maps for the entire USA. It's a great unit, but now I can't use it in the new car.

Anyone interested in this? Let me know and I'll post a photo of it, along with some links on YouTube to see how easy it is to install.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Okay.....I'll let you know. I've only had the car one day, but I've given the unit the once over. I'm thinking that of all the included features, maybe the one that lets you track maintenance might not be included in the new unit. That's fine with me. I do all my own maintenance. The big feature that matters most to me is being able to install my own apps......in particular music apps. When I make a playlist, I want it played in a certain order. The current unit only plays in alphabetical order. That sucks. Plus it doesn't have GPS......nice to have especially when you don't have a smart phone. Never wanted one. Other apps that are useful include Rooting the device itself, or maybe a different launcher, or a good video app......sometimes I want to watch a Packer game that I recorded but haven't seen yet. Did that with my other unit in the 2014. Or sending emails.....need an app for that. Overall, the unit that comes with the car is relatively useless for my tastes. Even the one with the so-called "Eyesight" technology doesn't allow installing apps, but it does have GPS. My old unit, model [FONT=&quot]RU-7069 [/FONT]from radio-upgrade.com is for sale in case you're interested.

·
Registered
2017 3.6r white
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im assuming replacing the 2018 infotainment is going to be different then a 2017? I have not had the chance to look inside the 2018 so I wouldn't know if the shape has changed. Knowing Subaru thought I doubt it.

The links I posted have more powerful hardware then the one you had justaCafe. Im definitely also interested to see what you get.

Stormrunner, your post definitely turned me off to the idea, even thought it would be really nice to have a functioning android head. Wonder if anyone else has any ideas?

Also justacafe not sure if you posted it in the classifieds yet, you would have better luck since this is in the gen 5 section.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Brassfly.....what model 18 did you get? What's the unit like in your car? I have an Outback Limited. My main goal is to be able to have Wi-Fi and download apps. And because we backpack/camp a lot, it's nice to have the browsing ability on the main screen instead of dragging my lap top along. But it's also the capability of having music played the way I want it. Check out an app called "PowerAmp" on google play. We're all die-hard "WinAmp" fans, and PowerAmp comes close. Not into Sirius or talk radio. The unit I'm looking at has a 10.4" screen, whereas the one that came with my 2018 is only 8". I'll definitely get back to you on how things evolve.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 | Eyesight | Magnetite Grey
52 Posts
I got the premium. The head unit is definitely quirky, but the Android Auto integration isn't half bad. I've learned how to get it to mostly reliably sync up and listen to my commands. What I'm most interested in is, being able to load torque, or weather radar. I expected to be able to use mirror link to do that, but it disappeared off this year's model for Android auto.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks.....I'll check it out. And from what I've been finding.....the 2018 Outback's measurement for the installation of a Head Unit have changed a little. Here's the stats: For 2015-2016, the height of Subaru's unit was 126mm. For 2017, the height was 136mm. My unit in the 2018 is 5 5/8", or 142.875mm, so indeed they have changed. I was told by one company that they'll have the new face-plate ready for their unit in about 6 weeks. I'm still waiting for a reply from another vendor. I'll keep you posted.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
132 Posts
JustaCafe, if you buy one and it is still going strong after one year, I'll probably get one also. I am not a fan of the head unit that came in my 2017. I want Android Auto and the ability to customize things a lot more than currently available. I'm happy I didn't wait for the 2018 head unit as that thing sounds like a hot mess.

·
Registered
2017 3.6r white
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.0D
216 Posts
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...1-aftermarket-headunits-finally-incoming.html
The unit he installed has 1 Gig of ram. The new unit posted on smarty's website has 2gigs
The people who installed the units are probably coming over a year now if you wanted to bump the thread and ask.
Canaviet has indeed a new Android 6.0.1 / RAM 2GB edition.
I made that thread and have this first unit, customised with a nova launcher and still running with no broblems. :29:
<------------------

Just contact Canaviet /Andy and ask for anything bothers.
IMHO They have good product support.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Good information guys.....! Thanks for your input. Very useful. I've checked out the Canavie, the Smarty and also Joying, but I just ordered the "S081993" from Seicane.com, and I opted for the 2GB RAM and 16GB ROM option for $28, the DVR option for $20 so that I can use my GoPro for the road ahead of me and set it on 'looping' to just record over whatever was already recorded, and the OBD II option for $16 which is a nifty module that plugs into the diagnostic (DLC) port below the steering wheel and communicates with the HU via Bluetooth giving me whatever info on the car I'll need.

Here's a link for the User Manual: https://www.seicane.com/2017-subaru...e-repalcement-installation-guide-s081993#tab4

·
Registered
377 Posts
Do I observe correctly that Android HUs for a '15 Outback only use OS 6.xxx whereas there is now 7.xx OS for other cars, but not the Outback.

What's the diff in OS's, guessing quite a bit. I'm interested in streaming from the Tidal app.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Asked every company that sells these HU`s. Nobody can tell me if Android 7.0 is coming for outback. Anyone heard anything about that ?

And, could anyone post a video of the unit if they have one, just quick review of all the functions and general look and feel please?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts