Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Limited
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Today I traded in my 2014 Outback Limited for a 2018 Outback Limited. On the '14, I replaced the cheesy stock stereo/radio with a fabulous Android HU that I bought from radio-upgrade.com and it was fabulous to say the least. I even rooted it. One of the nicer things about that unit was that I could use any browser to surf and download stuff.

Not so with this unit that came with my new car. I've checked with other Subaru dealers after I got home with the new car today, and they all say that the unit that came in the car does not have any browsers or 'surfing' capabilities. I can't even get on Google Play to download the apps that I already own, especially the cool mp3 player I have. Now....that really does suck a big one.

My question is does anyone know how to either "hack" this unit, or where I can get another unit to fit this 2018 model? Thanks for the help in advance.

·
Registered
2018 Outback Touring 3.6R
971 Posts
Other than Tesla, I know of no car with web browsing abilities with a factory HU. There's a safety implication of having something like that available to the driver in a moving car. I can't think of any reason I'd want such functionality. Someone in the car can use their phone if something needs to be looked up. You may have a perfectly reasonable reason for it, but it would likely require replacing your HU as you did with your '14.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dan - Thanks for the thoughtfulness.....but I used a Wi-Fi hotspot with my old unit (which, incidentally, is for sale. $550 new, I'll take $250 now for it). I don't have a smart phone and have no use for one. So, the hotspot in the car hooks up with the Wi-Fi in the HU and away we go. Plus, it came with Sygic GPS, and I don't have a GPS on my current unit that came with the car.

But I did find one today at two different vendors. Both reasonably priced. What's really important to me is being able to install the apps that I want. The new unit in my 2018 doesn't allow installing any apps at all, which alone makes it worthless. For instance, when it comes to playlists, I want them played in a certain order and this unit just plays them alphabetically. Not good. Plus, no search feature, just browse. Otherwise, the new 2018 Outback is a dream! Thanks again.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Crystal White Pearl with Ivory Cloth, with Eyesight and self dimming outside mirrors.
359 Posts
But I did find one today at two different vendors. Both reasonably priced. What's really important to me is being able to install the apps that I want. The new unit in my 2018 doesn't allow installing any apps at all, which alone makes it worthless. For instance, when it comes to playlists, I want them played in a certain order and this unit just plays them alphabetically. Not good. Plus, no search feature, just browse. Otherwise, the new 2018 Outback is a dream! Thanks again.
So what did you find and who are the vendors. The radio in out 2005 Dodge Caravan still has better sound and reception than what's in our 2017 Premium.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The two vendors are:
Subaru Outback 2015+ Android Car Stereo Navigation In-Dash Head Unit

And:
10.4" Android 6.0.1 Car Multimedia GPS Navigation DVD Radio Audio for Subaru Outback Legacy 2017 2018

I still haven't heard from another vendor that asked for the measurements from my 2018. It's only been 2 days however, since I started this search. But a fourth vendor, whom I bought my original Android HU from, (radio-upgrade.com) said that their engineers are "uninstalling a 2018" HU to verify the wiring and hook-ups. I want to be able to have not only Sygic GPS that I had on the previous unit, but also the ability to download and install various apps, including a good browser for surfing and a secure email client. I don't have a smart phone, and never wanted one, and the idea of needing one to do the work of a good Android HU has no appeal to me. The real bummer about the unit that came in 2018 Outback Limited (without the "Eyesight" technology) is the feeble mp3 player that's installed on it. It only plays songs alphabetically. At home on my PC, I regularly 'stream' from various internet radio stations on "Shoutcast.com", and rip those streams to my hard drive using 'WinAmp' and a plug-in called "Streamripper" that will rip the songs to my hard drive. With cross-fading, using WinAmp, those songs are played seamlessly with no gaps when I make a playlist. And that's how I want them played in the car as well. You can find "Streamripper" at Sourceforge.net if you're into doing that, and one of the best things about it is that you have the option of including all the ID tags for the songs which get displayed when you play them back. Yeah, it works great as a plug-in for WinAmp, but they also have a stand-alone version that you can rip music with that doesn't need a client like WinAmp. Yes....I'm into music. And yes....I drive about 500 miles each week. Some weeks more. I love road trips, especially up in the northwoods here in Wisconsin.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring Dark Blue Pearl
33 Posts
@JustaCafe

I'm not planning on doing a swap any time soon to my new 2018, but this stuff always interests me. I'm an Android user, a techie at heart and maybe down the line I might swap out the head unit in my 2018. I searched YouTube for some videos and reviews. I did come up
I checked out the website he referenced in the video description and looked for 2018 Outback, but only see up to 2017. It may be compatible, and looks very similar to the unit you linked from Canavie.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
@NJRide

Thanks....I'll check those out. Good to hear from another Techie....OH, and by the way, if you're into Android, you might check out a "Launcher" called "Action 3".....which gives you so many more options than the one(s) that come on your phone or car unit. In addition to a good launcher, I rooted that Android HU that I had in my 2014, which gave me complete control over the 'bloatware' that came with the unit. I used KingoRoot, the best one click rooting software/apk with highest success rate.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
The two vendors are:
Subaru Outback 2015+ Android Car Stereo Navigation In-Dash Head Unit

And:
10.4" Android 6.0.1 Car Multimedia GPS Navigation DVD Radio Audio for Subaru Outback Legacy 2017 2018

I still haven't heard from another vendor that asked for the measurements from my 2018. It's only been 2 days however, since I started this search. But a fourth vendor, whom I bought my original Android HU from, (radio-upgrade.com) said that their engineers are "uninstalling a 2018" HU to verify the wiring and hook-ups. I want to be able to have not only Sygic GPS that I had on the previous unit, but also the ability to download and install various apps, including a good browser for surfing and a secure email client. I don't have a smart phone, and never wanted one, and the idea of needing one to do the work of a good Android HU has no appeal to me. The real bummer about the unit that came in 2018 Outback Limited (without the "Eyesight" technology) is the feeble mp3 player that's installed on it. It only plays songs alphabetically. At home on my PC, I regularly 'stream' from various internet radio stations on "Shoutcast.com", and rip those streams to my hard drive using 'WinAmp' and a plug-in called "Streamripper" that will rip the songs to my hard drive. With cross-fading, using WinAmp, those songs are played seamlessly with no gaps when I make a playlist. And that's how I want them played in the car as well. You can find "Streamripper" at Sourceforge.net if you're into doing that, and one of the best things about it is that you have the option of including all the ID tags for the songs which get displayed when you play them back. Yeah, it works great as a plug-in for WinAmp, but they also have a stand-alone version that you can rip music with that doesn't need a client like WinAmp. Yes....I'm into music. And yes....I drive about 500 miles each week. Some weeks more. I love road trips, especially up in the northwoods here in Wisconsin.
If you search this forum there is another thread 2 years back for installing the first unit.

Let's us know how it works with steering controls and built in Mic.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Will do......I did get a response from https://www.seicane.com/ today asking for the exact measurements on my 2018 Outback. They referred me to this link: https://www.seicane.com/inch-hd-and...k-tpms-3g-wifi-steering-wheel-control-s081993

Other than the correct face-plate size, they have everything I'm looking for including a 10.3" screen, DVR so that I can hook up my GoPro and have it record to my 256GB USB flash drive, and Sygic GPS, RAM 2G, ROM 16GB. Who could ask for more? Plus it has two micro-SD slots, one for maps and the other for whatever I want. The really neat thing about this unit is that I can configure all the buttons on my steering wheel and assign them to various functions. It has Wi-Fi and I have a 4G Hotspot so I can surf while driving. Nice unit. But probably one of the neatest add-ons is something called an OBD II scanner that plugs into the DLC port of the car and communicates via Bluetooth to the head unit that reads and syncs real-time data from the car computer.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Touring Dark Blue Pearl
33 Posts
Yeah I thought the steering wheel controls were really were loaded up with great options. It's very nice to be able to set up a short press for one thing, and then long press the same button for another option. And you get so much more with that HU. Good to hear that Seicane was able to get back to you. I'd feel a little better about buying the system after seeing it work like in that Youtube vid, and talking with a rep from the company. Keep us posted.

Off topic - I use Nova Launcher on my cell phone, it's fun to customize. And Package Disabler Pro to disable bloat and any other process I want on my cell. I've shot myself in the foot a few times (like no text messages when the phone goes into sleep... OOPS), but it really helps with battery life.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts