Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone as bothered as I am with the "new" ads at the top and bottom of the lists, as shown in the attached screen shot?

The ads start to play (audio and video) when the mouse is passed over it -- I don't even have to pause or click on it. If the mouse movement is fast enough, there's just a short burst of sound, but if the mouse is slow, or paused there, the full "program" runs or until the "X" (which will appear in the upper right corner) is pressed to stop it. This is mighty annoying, especially when others are in the room.

I appreciate the need for advertising, but this automatic activation seems to be going a bit too far.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Use Chrome as your browser and download the "AdBlock Plus" plug-in. I don't see any of the ads. It's great.

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had a look at the AdBlock Plus on the Google web store page. When I clicked on Add to Chrome, a small window came up that seems to be (or could be interpreted to be) a warning related to privacy. See attached.

Is this something to be concerned about, or is it actually simply a further explanation of "features"?

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
Yes, they bother me, even with Chrome, Opera and Internet Explorer, when they get larger than they start out, getting in the way of what is below.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
I had a look at the AdBlock Plus on the Google web store page. When I clicked on Add to Chrome, a small window came up that seems to be (or could be interpreted to be) a warning related to privacy. See attached.

Is this something to be concerned about, or is it actually simply a further explanation of "features"?
Well, it kind of has to access the data/tabs to see what ads there are to block. I wouldn't be too concerned about that message...I've used it for years in Firefox and Chrome with no issues.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
I went to the Firefox Add-ons in the Tools menu and searched for Adblock Plus. Installed it and now there are no banner ads. My only concern is that I'll miss the secret free energy source that the government does not want me to know about. Spoiler alert: Its wind and solar energy. ;)

·
Registered
16,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, it kind of has to access the data/tabs to see what ads there are to block. I wouldn't be too concerned about that message...I've used it for years in Firefox and Chrome with no issues.
Thanks.

I also did some searching about the privacy aspect and it appears it's no different than using Chrome to begin with.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
Saint J VT
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing