Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2017 2.5 Premium Outback, and it's recently developed an annoying rattle right above the infotainment screen. When I push on the plastic above the screen (and near the front speaker grill), the rattle/buzzing goes away.

Has anybody had this problem or discovered a fix? I took it to the dealer, who said they couldn't reproduce the problem. I've also spent quite a bit of time trying to fix it myself, including putting a latex tube near the defroster strip, as outlined on another subaruoutback.org thread (it won't let me post the link).

Thanks!

·
Registered
2016 3.6 w/ Eyesight
220 Posts
Hello,

I recently purchased a 2017 2.5 Premium Outback, and it's recently developed an annoying rattle right above the infotainment screen. When I push on the plastic above the screen (and near the front speaker grill), the rattle/buzzing goes away.

Has anybody had this problem or discovered a fix? I took it to the dealer, who said they couldn't reproduce the problem. I've also spent quite a bit of time trying to fix it myself, including putting a latex tube near the defroster strip, as outlined on another subaruoutback.org thread (it won't let me post the link).

Thanks!

We could really have been more helpful to this new member. The Outback tends to have a lot of interior trim rattles, and they can be hard to locate, vary with temperature, etc. Because of your description, the first thing I would try is to remove the center speaker cover, as they have been a source of noise for several people. When the cover is off, check the tightness of the two phillips screws holding in the speaker unit. To pry off the cover, use a thin-blade plastic upholstery tool, and the cover will come off easily and with no damage.

·
Registered
2022 Outback Touring XT. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,656 Posts
Wish I could help. However, my 2017 OB Limited seems pretty rattle free since I did the rubber tubing trick which I am thankful for. However, i expect some will pop up.

·
Premium Member
2008 Subaru Tribeca
938 Posts
I fixed one where once the center vents were removed , I could duplicate a rattling noise from center vents rubbing on main duct behind there.
May or may not help you but just an idea.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium H4.
82 Posts
Wish I could help. However, my 2017 OB Limited seems pretty rattle free since I did the rubber tubing trick which I am thankful for. However, i expect some will pop up.
Rubber tubing trick? :8:

·
Registered
2006 and 2016 outback with the 4cyl engine and both have automatic tranny's
7 Posts
Try the little black button right under the windshield

There is a little black sensor button way up under the windshield. I think it is for the auto on/off headlight system. Almost the diameter of a dime and about 3/8" tall. Mine rattles like crazy due to being loose even though it looks secure. It is definitely the source of the rattle. Going to try and glue it next.

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,780 Posts
There is a little black sensor button way up under the windshield. I think it is for the auto on/off headlight system.
There are two, actually. The sensor in the center is the "Sun Load Sensor" for the climate control system. The sensor toward the right is used to control the headlights (in AUTO mode) and instrument panel illumination.

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Premium w/ES 2002 2.5 OB 142k mi
301 Posts
Can't find the thread but there was the under the hood wire bouncing against a box near the wall that sounded like it was coming from the area you mentioned. When I had a rattle I searched all the 2017 rattle threads.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts