Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone,

I have (at least think I have) read everything here and still have questions. Most of the discussion was 6 months ago and things might have changed.

There is the Car Worx LW-10-FP from Amazon. This is black plastic molded to fit against the bumper. In the Q&A section three people say it works perfectly for them on 2013. But if you go through the "does this fit my car" exercise, it says no. I almost ordered it before I saw that.

C&C Car Worx LW-10-FP Front License Plate Frame Bracket Mount : Amazon.com : Automotive

Then there is the Car Worx OW-13-FP which appears to be identical from the picture but it is for the 2013. Does anybody know what the actual difference is?

C&C Car Worx OW-13-FP Front License Plate Frame Bracket Mount : Amazon.com : Automotive

Then there is the DCOLICBRKEZ5 from places like Subaru Online Parts. It's in the section for 2010-2013 Outback Accessories but only 2010-2012 are on the Product page. But the thought was they would have come out with something by now. Once again from the pictures and description and I cannot tell a difference between this and the previous two. I suspect it is the same as the LW-10-FP, or maybe all three are the same. This is the one that people here said didn't fit or "fit good enough". Frankly, if I go the molded route I want it snug all around. Edit: I just heard from Subaru Online Parts - this model is only for the 2010-2012 (as the product page says).

https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_108_118&products_id=1279

Finally, there is the the SOA342L120. This is the black powder coated plate that makes no pretensions about molding to the bumper.

https://www.subaruonlineparts.com/product_info.php?cPath=32_108_118&products_id=1243

I'll probably go with the flat one. In theory I like the idea of something molded to the bumper that won't "catch" on anything but because they all hang down in front of the air intake that is kind of moot.

Thanks in advance for any updates.

- Bill

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium
57 Posts
Sweet. Thanks for those links. I have been thinking of the third choice. Now I think I ought to get the second. I don't understand the last one. It looks like you be putting a license plate over a license plate. Why do you like it?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sweet. Thanks for those links. I have been thinking of the third choice. Now I think I ought to get the second. I don't understand the last one. It looks like you be putting a license plate over a license plate. Why do you like it?
I'm not sure I like the looks of the last one best either, but maybe. Currently the naked license plate is just screwed into the bumper. The middle of the plate is flat against the bumper but the edges aren't. That looks terrible! I've thought about bending the plate to follow the curve of the bumper which would be a (small) improvement.

The last option comes with rubber pads that set the whole thing away from the bumper by (I'm guessing) maybe a 3/16". I think that would look better. Better still if I also invested in a thin black frame to hide just edges of the plate.

But the molded option would probably look cleaner even though it hangs down in front of the air intake.

I really haven't decided yet. :)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
I have the flat one. I added an extra rubber strip across the bottom in addition to what came with it to ensure there is no way it could contact (and scratch) the bumper. It looks great!

I don't like the molded type because of how it contacts the bumper...if you ever removed it there would be paint damage where it sits on the bumper.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't like the molded type because of how it contacts the bumper...if you ever removed it there would be paint damage where it sits on the bumper.
That might be true but I'm not 100% convinced. The only damage would be if the bracket slides against the paint; will that really happen? Also, if you take the plate off you'd have the holes made by the bracket screws. Those are fairly easily plugged (easier than fixing paint damage if the molded bracket did cause some) but it's not like the bumper will ever look factory fresh again without a lot of work.

In any case, it's not a big issue for me personally because all states around here require two plates. For me it's all about cosmetics with the plate on - I need to go look at pics again. :)

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
CarWorx

Same company makes rear gate grab/handle bars.... I have the chrome one on my 2013 OB and had the black one on my 2010 Forester... the greatest addition ever!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
That might be true but I'm not 100% convinced. The only damage would be if the bracket slides against the paint; will that really happen? Also, if you take the plate off you'd have the holes made by the bracket screws. Those are fairly easily plugged (easier than fixing paint damage if the molded bracket did cause some) but it's not like the bumper will ever look factory fresh again without a lot of work.

In any case, it's not a big issue for me personally because all states around here require two plates. For me it's all about cosmetics with the plate on - I need to go look at pics again. :)
I guess it's my OCD....knowing the plastic edge of the molded type is rubbing on the bumper all the time. Not that the rubber stops on the flat one won't marr a little, but not as badly.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
I'm with Nick on this one. I have the flat bracket but I didn't bother putting anything behind it since there's no metal underneath to rust. I know there are marks there and it irritates me. One of these days I'll get something to put behind it.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium
57 Posts
I guess it's my OCD....knowing the plastic edge of the molded type is rubbing on the bumper all the time. Not that the rubber stops on the flat one won't marr a little, but not as badly.
Yeah that's all ya had to say. Flat it is. :29:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had emailed Subaru Online Parts about their molded bracket and they got back to me. It is in fact only for the 2010-2012 bumpers as the product page states. So of the options I listed, only options 2 and 4 - Car Worx OW-13-FP (molded) and SOA342L120 (flat) - are suitable for the 2013 Outback. No surprise there.

I think I'm going to try the molded one from Amazon. Just to be different. :)

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
You guys are OCD. Anything beyond the license plate its self will get jammed into the bumper by the first parallel parked car to feel its way into a spot in my neck of the woods.

Every car that starts out with a fancy plate bracket needs a new bumper within a year because said fancy plate bracket has been pressed right through the plastic bumper cap.

You all must live where shopping malls have those huge over sized parking spots and houses are like $50.. LOL

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
You guys are OCD. Anything beyond the license plate its self will get jammed into the bumper by the first parallel parked car to feel its way into a spot in my neck of the woods.

Every car that starts out with a fancy plate bracket needs a new bumper within a year because said fancy plate bracket has been pressed right through the plastic bumper cap.

You all must live where shopping malls have those huge over sized parking spots and houses are like $50.. LOL
Thats why I picked the flat type. Simple. Minimal contact w/ the bumper so that if it gets bumped it does not tear up the bumper (as much) as the molded type would.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Regarding people backing into my car, that's never what i want. But regardless of the outcome - scratches, cracks, punctures in the fascia - the bumper is functionally still fine, it just looks bad. This is all about cosmetics - immediate and long term.

A naked license plate looks a little odd (opinion, of course) right from the beginning and will get bent up by feel-parkers to look even worse. You might also get some gouging of the plastic by the plate. But that's probably the worst that will happen and it's cheap.

The flat plate, IMO, looks a little less finished than molded but will probably resist the feel-parkers the best unless impact is hard enough for the two screws (point loads) to puncture/crack the plastic bumper fascia. I'm not sure how likely this is. It depends on the size of the standoffs and what's behind the bumper fascia. FWIW, I think this is what you get with the various accessory pkgs installed at the factory.

To me the molded bracket looks the most finished/factory (again just my opinion but it [and the naked plate] seems to be what most other mfgs do). I think it is the most likely to cause scuffing to the bumper if people hit it. But it doesn't present a potentially puncturing point load to the bumper (I hope - I'll see when it gets here).

Perhaps the best solution is something with spikes protruding out the front, backed up by the car's frame. Learn to park people - or take home 10x the damage you inflict on me! :)

I live in an area without much parallel parking so hopefully it won't be an issue. But I'd be very curious if people have stories about various brackets and damage from 2 mph collisions.

·
Registered
2019 Bronze Limited
205 Posts
@ Whamblen - I am very interested to see pics of the molded plate when you get it. I too have the plate by itself on the bumper and it is driving me crazy!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@ Whamblen - I am very interested to see pics of the molded plate when you get it. I too have the plate by itself on the bumper and it is driving me crazy!!
I'll be sure to post some. Ordered it yesterday and the original delivery date was end of this week or beginning of next. However tracking says it is on the truck for delivery to my house right now!

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited
13 Posts
Picked up a plain black frame that allowed the plate to be placed in front of (not behind) the frame. Added a lightly smoked plastic front cover to it and sandwiched the plate between the two.....got it all at Pep Boys, about $14 total. I have a dark gray OB and the smoked plate looks clean and blends it somewhat....don't know if it's actually legal or "DOT" approved. We'll see if I get pulled over by local LE

I also placed small plastic round self stick "bumpers" (which can be found at any hardware store) behind the frame edges on the sides, directly mounted to the bumper so it does not vibrate against the bumper and mar the paint. I'll post pics when I get a chance.

Not to gratuitously pat myself on the back, but it does look good. :)

·
Registered
2011 Subie 3.6R Limited 2013 Cmax e=nergi PHEV
824 Posts
Same company makes rear gate grab/handle bars.... I have the chrome one on my 2013 OB and had the black one on my 2010 Forester... the greatest addition ever!
Did you have to tap the sheet metal and pull the hatch trim to mount the bar?

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
Did you have to tap the sheet metal and pull the hatch trim to mount the bar?
I had to drill 2 holes (after drilling, I put rust proofing and touch-up paint on bare metal) in the sheet metal and attach the bar inside the hatch with 2 nuts - for that - yes - you have to remove rear gate panel. But that is easy to do, if you know, where the clips are.... The bar comes with 2 threaded screws welded inside the bar. This is my third grab handle bar; 2005 Forester, 2010 Forester and now 2013 OB. Very pleased with the outcome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I drove my Isuzu Trooper, then my Acura SLX and now I drive my 2013 Outback all without the front license plate ... for over 10 years and have never been so much as stopped. I say carry it in your trunk or back storage area and forget about it, but I'll probably get stopped and ticketed on my way home this evening after posting this.

·
Premium Member
2005 3.0 R n totaled
7,526 Posts
I drove my Isuzu Trooper, then my Acura SLX and now I drive my 2013 Outback all without the front license plate ... for over 10 years and have never been so much as stopped. I say carry it in your trunk or back storage area and forget about it, but I'll probably get stopped and ticketed on my way home this evening after posting this.
In So. Calif (not sure about your domicile) they pull you over in no time, not only if you don't have a front plate but also if you have something else up front, say, like if you are from another State that only requires rear plate....and you have your favorite hockey team's logo up front...LOL

1 - 20 of 29 Posts