Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5i Limited
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We just got a 2019 Outback for my wife, and I'd like to get a spare set of wheels and snow tires to put on for the winter. I've been reading all the info on this board about TPMS sensors, cloning, etc etc, and as frustrating as it is that Subaru doesn't make this easier, I think I've got a plan. So I'm looking for input on whether this will work how I want it to:

Buy a winter wheel/tire package from Tirerack, making sure the TPMS sensors they install are the programmable Autel MX sensors. Find out my current sensor's ID numbers by either getting a local shop to scan or renting a tool or something. Using the Autel MaxiTPMS PAD (bit of an unfortunate name there, chaps!), clone the current sensors onto the new winter package. Install winter package. I can't link the PAD because I'm new and don't have enough posts, but it's $68 on Amazon. Seems to be some question about whether it can program sensors that are already installed with tires mounted.

If I'm reading things correctly, this will be a completely seamless transition with not additional programming needed, correct? I should be able to bolt the new wheels on, go for a drive, and the car should see the sensors and put them in the correct places using what I'm gathering is a 4 antenna system.

It seems like this would save me having to buy the $275 TS508 tool, though I suppose I could do that as well and still come out ahead over the life of the car vs having the dealer program for each swap (at $50!).

Are there other options I should be considering? I understand the Autel system is a walled-garden kind of thing, is there an economical way to do this with Schrader programmable sensors?

Related: will an OBD2 scanner (probably bluetooth) be able to tell me the ID numbers of my current sensors? Because I was thinking of picking one up anyway, so that would save me the step of going to a shop or renting a tool to get those numbers.

Thanks!

·
Registered
'18 3.6R Ltd
720 Posts
I considered these machinations but then changed my mind, and I'm glad I did.

There's a Discount Tire near my dealership (35 or so miles from home, but I have to go there for service anyway), and their pricing on a wheelset and snow tires was as as good as TireRack's, when you take into account TireRack shipping. And this particular Discount outlet does free reprogramming without an appointment -- drive in, they zap the car, you're done. I don't know if all Discount outlets do this; and, of course, you may not have one anywhere close. But my experience suggests it's worth calling around locally to see what tire places in your area offer in this regard.

Caution: If some place looks hopeful, take the car there and make them prove they can read your OEM sensors. When I first bought my '18, our local Big O Tire outlet said they could but really could not -- the change in the system from '17-'18 baffled their tool. I believe the '19 system is like the '18 system, and most places have upgraded their tools, I expect, but it's worth checking. HPH

·
Premium Member
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited; 2" LP Aventure lift, LPA skid plates and small bumper guard, diff breather relocation, subframe skids; Motegi MR118 17x8et32 wheels; Yakima LoadWarrior with extension; ARB
316 Posts
I can confirm DT will reprogram TPMS for free, if you've bought wheels/tires from them. Had mine done there a couple times now, and have received great service from both Discount Tire on these forums and from my local store.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interesting, thanks guys. Unfortunately it looks like I don't have any Discount Tires near me in New Hampshire. My local tire place said $25-30, which is better than the dealer, but still $50-60 more per year than I really want to pay. I'll call around to some other tire places and see what they say, but I'm still leaning towards some sort of DIY/cloning solution.

·
Premium Member
2019 2.5i Limited PZEV, EyeSight, Magnetite Gray Metallic, Black Interior
219 Posts
I did mine with the Autel 508 and Tire Rack standard sensors, but cloneable sensors will work too. I would question whether the Pad could program an installed sensor though. Perhaps you can get it close enough, but I'd think with a cable to a laptop and trying to get it close enough to contact the sensor would be a royal pain.

I have a BT OBD2 scanner and I've used Torque for a variety of things, but I am not aware that it can see the sensor IDs. I know people have modded Torque Pro to read the pressures, but not the sensor IDs themselves.

Keep us posted.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
1,688 Posts
Your plan is sound, if you can get Tirerack to play along. In the past, they only dealt with Schrader brand sensors, and usually the pre-programmed OEM style. I've heard they might install and program their own Schrader EZ Sensor 33500 (dual band programmable), but you won't be able to reprogram them (make them into clones of your existing 'summer' tires) with an Autel tool. The attractive price of the Autel system is the captive nature of their product (a walled garden). So Autel tools can't program Schrader sensors, and I don't believe Schrader tools can program Autel sensors. They can do everything else across platforms, just not the programming / reprogramming.

Note that one member here did recently purchase an older Bartec tool on ebay for use with Schrader sensors, but this is a risk given that software updates for the newer Subaru (433mhz system) are spotty.

I recently upgraded from an Autel 408 to an Autel 508 when they were on sale around Christmas (a sweet $217 no tax deal), and plan to sell my 408 and ATEQ Quickset to offset the upgrade. I recently went shopping for a set of Autel MX-One Sensors (dual band) for another set of wheels, and was surprised to see that Tirerack claims to sell them! Google "autel tirerack sensors" and TR shows up on the top picture bar. But click on it, and it brings you to a TR "sorry" page. Hmmmm.....

So... I suggest calling TR and see if they do have Autel programmables, and if they will install them in your winter tire package. If not, can you purchase them and send them in for installation? I paid $98 for a set of 4 clamp-in dual band style, so the price is certainly right. The pop-in rubber stems can be had for $90 a set if that's your preference.

While the pad is really intended for desktop use, I would think that like the full feature tools you should be able to position it next to the valve and re-program thru the wheel. The downside of the pad is that you won't be able to verify your successful programming as you would with a TS-408.

I know that Toyota Techstream software and a mongoose cable can read the registered TPMS sensors, but don't know about Subaru software. I would think it should...

If you clone successfully, it should be plug and play from that day forward. Most definitely the way to go if you can.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your plan is sound, if you can get Tirerack to play along. In the past, they only dealt with Schrader brand sensors, and usually the pre-programmed OEM style. I've heard they might install and program their own Schrader EZ Sensor 33500 (dual band programmable), but you won't be able to reprogram them (make them into clones of your existing 'summer' tires) with an Autel tool. The attractive price of the Autel system is the captive nature of their product (a walled garden). So Autel tools can't program Schrader sensors, and I don't believe Schrader tools can program Autel sensors. They can do everything else across platforms, just not the programming / reprogramming.

Note that one member here did recently purchase an older Bartec tool on ebay for use with Schrader sensors, but this is a risk given that software updates for the newer Subaru (433mhz system) are spotty.

I recently upgraded from an Autel 408 to an Autel 508 when they were on sale around Christmas (a sweet $217 no tax deal), and plan to sell my 408 and ATEQ Quickset to offset the upgrade. I recently went shopping for a set of Autel MX-One Sensors (dual band) for another set of wheels, and was surprised to see that Tirerack claims to sell them! Google "autel tirerack sensors" and TR shows up on the top picture bar. But click on it, and it brings you to a TR "sorry" page. Hmmmm.....

So... I suggest calling TR and see if they do have Autel programmables, and if they will install them in your winter tire package. If not, can you purchase them and send them in for installation? I paid $98 for a set of 4 clamp-in dual band style, so the price is certainly right. The pop-in rubber stems can be had for $90 a set if that's your preference.

While the pad is really intended for desktop use, I would think that like the full feature tools you should be able to position it next to the valve and re-program thru the wheel. The downside of the pad is that you won't be able to verify your successful programming as you would with a TS-408.

I know that Toyota Techstream software and a mongoose cable can read the registered TPMS sensors, but don't know about Subaru software. I would think it should...

If you clone successfully, it should be plug and play from that day forward. Most definitely the way to go if you can.

Thanks! Yeah, the fact that TR stocks the Autel sensors was what made me think that might work, but you're right in that I could always buy everything separately (or get the tires through my local shop, they price match TR) and install the Autel sensors later when it was all assembled. I'll have to call TR and see what their deal is.

I'm not familiar with Toyota Techstream, is that via a standard OBD2 scanner or is that something that the dealer has? i.e. you think in order to read the existing sensors I'd have to use a dealer/shop instead of just an OBD2 scanner?

If you don't mind me asking, what are you looking to get for your 408 tool?

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '02 Subi OBW (gone now, but well loved), '15 Toyota Sienna, '13 Honda CR-V
1,688 Posts
Most OBD scan tools do well with the federally required P0xxx and P1xxx codes, but can't handle OEM proprietary codes like body, chassis, ABS, key & security, TPMS, customization menu settings, etc. For that you need an interface cable (brand specific) MongoosePro and then a factory software suite for your PC, like Toyota Techstream. This is the name brand cable - there are plenty of $20 knockoff's that work.

I see Subaru isn't in this club, so they must have another method. I haven't explored this so someone else will need to comment.

I know Techstream enables you to see the 4 sensor codes that are in the TPMS computer. That's what I use the ATEQ Quickset for, but will now upload/download with the Autel TS-508.

Note that I originally bought the Autel TS-408 for the purpose of reading out the tires directly, and for programming sensors. I had the Quickset for talking to the OBD port. So it was a '3 tool solution' = Quickset, PC and TS-408. My wife encouraged me to upgrade to the TS-508 as it can do all these functions in one once the price came down. Maybe we're still married coming up on 40 years because we feed into each other's passions?

I appreciate the inquiry. Give me a day or so to give this some thought? The tool is small, but that big plastic box will likely make shipping too expensive to make selling beyond a local meeting reasonable.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So...my reply wasn't posted/approved for some reason, and I can't remember what I wrote...I think the gist was thanking you for the info :smile2:

I called TireRack and basically the rep couldn't add the MX sensors into the package, he claimed because it was a 2019 and software on their end hadn't been updated yet. That seemed a little bogus considering TR sells those sensors, as we've found out. But anyway, getting them as a ready-to-go package is out, so my local shop price matched TR on the tires and is ordering them, and I'll grab the wheels (probably from TR, unless there are other options I should consider? Was looking at the Sport Edition A8-2 in 17x7.5, black for $112.32 each). I've ordered a 4 pack of MX sensors from Amazon.

So Fibber, let me know about that 408, and if you don't want to bother with shipping I'll probably try getting the PAD and seeing if that works.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fibber, I got your PM but don't have enough posts to respond. I think that's definitely a fair price, but I think you're right that it makes more sense to do it locally. I'll see where I get with the PAD and go from there. Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
You are most welcome! Hey, if you were closer, I'd just program up a set of sensors for you just for the fun of doing it. I've already helped out a few people with my tire toys and newfound knowledge. Pay it forward!

·
Premium Member
2019 2.5i Limited PZEV, EyeSight, Magnetite Gray Metallic, Black Interior
219 Posts
Gents, I don't want to insert myself into a potential transaction, and won't if you have something in the works, but from the last post it sounds like OP is still striking out on his own.

I had the exact same setup as Fibber (TS408 and ATEQ Quickset) and also upgraded to the 508. The difference is that I live less than 90 minutes from OP in the Seacoast region of NH and travel there often (I lived in NH including Portsmouth and Newmarket for 15 years).

I too would part with my 408 and Quickset which I kept to deal with my wife's Prius, but she just traded the Toyota for a new '19 Ascent so I have no use for them. And I can do local delivery. Frankly, I'd even be willing to program a set of Autel sensors with the 508 just because I've never had a reason to and it might be fun. If this can wait for some warmer weather, I could drop all the tools in the saddlebags of my motorcycle and use it as an excuse for a nice ride. PM me (if you have the post count) if you're interested.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I am all about doing the right thing so if somebody else can help the OP and even sell a tool, jump in!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ah, shoot, I was just coming back to this thread to update. I actually already went ahead with my original plan, so I'm all set. Really appreciate the offer, Grumpy, and the help from the rest of you guys. And I'll echo that I'm also willing to lend the PAD out if anyone local is interested.

Here's how it went: Local shop price matched TireRack on the tires, so I had them delivered to the local branch while I bought the wheels from TireRack. Got the 4 sensors and the MaxiTPMS PAD from Amazon. The PAD was indeed able to read the OEM sensors while the tires were mounted, so I jotted down the numbers and programmed my new sensors with those values. Dropped the wheels and sensors off at the shop yesterday, got a call that they were ready this morning, and swapped wheels this afternoon. Took a short drive afterwards and no TPMS light or any other weird behavior, and the values on the car's screen matched my gauge exactly. My wife has the car now, I'm sure she'll update me if there's anything amiss.

So it looks like that's one way to do it. Granted, the PAD is much less capable than an actual TPMS tool, and with this method you're locked into the Autel world, but I think it'll be good enough. Thanks for all the help, folks.

Attachments

·
Registered
2019 Outback 2.5 Premium
1 Posts
I'm looking to get some snow tires/wheels for my '19 OB, and was looking up compatibility for the "Pad" which led me here.

looks like the "Pad" might be an option for me but I'd have to get MX sensors (not a big deal), as it also supposedly supports my other vehicle.

I'm just north of Boston and I'd be willing to buy/rent/beer/borrow any tool you guys still have available!

if anyone still has a pad/401/408/501/508, let me know !

·
Registered
2015 Outback 4-banger.
4 Posts
I got my winter tire and wheel package from America's Tire, Blizzaks and Vision wheels. They used the OEM sensors from my factory set. They quoted me $60 each for sensors! I found 'OEM' sensors on Amazon for like $45 for 4! Has anyone bought their sensors from Amazon?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts