Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I *know* this has been covered ad nauseum, but I can't seem to find a thread (by searching on titles) that is dedicated to our dislike of the stock Bridgestone Potenza RE92s found our beloved North American Subarus.

I bought my '02 OBS used last summer w/29K miles on it, and it appeared to have a fairly new set of RE92 replacements. I figured I'd try them for a while and, realizing they weren't held in high regard, see how they worked out for my limited/local/"in-town" driving. I've had other Bridgestones (245/45-17 RE730s on a summer-only Mustang) that were decent. I've put all of 2300 mostly uneventful miles on the RE92s.

I'd been disappointed by the RE92 snow performance... the whole reason I got the Subie for a winter car was the AWD, which seems to be highly compromised by the choice of tires. I think my last winter car, FWD with Nokians, did just as well.

Tonight, I was finally convinced that the RE92s are utter crap and am now moving their replacement higher on my priority li$t.

I was following a car through a yellow light, about 10-15 mph, in a short series of stoplights at a highway exchange that is inherently frustrating (3 lights to get on the highway but you never seem to make all of them at once despite their "intelligence"). I was behind an Audi Allroad and misjudged the line of traffic in front of it, so maybe I was a tad too close (this is a stretch I've traveled for years in many different cars) but my tires completely locked up on dry/heavily traveled pavement, at low speed and 20F degrees (but with no snow/etc. for several days). I came closer to rear-ending the car in front of me than I have in ages. I floored my brake pedal, with ABS already engaged, for all I was worth, and I hope the driver in front of me didn't see the anguish in my face as I prepared for and fully expected impact. I was spared by literally a matter of centimeters.

These tires SUCK. When I replace them, I'm not sure I would even give them away in clear conscience....

I know I'm preaching to the choir, but add me to the "unhappy camper" column. Egad. As I've always said, life is too short to drive on crappy tires. I'm embarrassed now.

-Peter

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Good post Peter, I completely agree.

I'm always amazed that most people readily compromise on hte single most important safety feature on their car: those 4 little patches of rubber between you and the road.

Personally, I always buy the best tires I can find. I will not compromise my safety for a couple hundred bucks.

·
Administrator
4,269 Posts
sduford said:
Good post Peter, I completely agree.

I'm always amazed that most people readily compromise on hte single most important safety feature on their car: those 4 little patches of rubber between you and the road.

Personally, I always buy the best tires I can find. I will not compromise my safety for a couple hundred bucks.
I completely agree with both of you, amen to all you have said! :4:

And Sly has made a great point which I've always preached and stand by very firmly, good tires are invaluable! You're car may have 500+ HP, seating for 8, DVD, PS2, surround sound, every friggin' luxury feature imaginable...

But if it ain't got good tires it ain't gonna go anywhere very well! People look at cars nowadays buy power output, speed, features, etc. or simply what they look like on paper. Tires are still the most important feature cause without them you might as well just be sitting in the car at the dealership all day.

If you're gonna cheap out on your safety, well I'll pray for you ;)

Sorry for the long post urrybody, rant switched off!

:soapbox:

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
You are right about the RE92's. I pat myself on the back now every time I get into my car with the Falken Ziex 512's. What a difference! Braking especially. Check out the reviews and such all over the web. Brian

·
Registered
297 Posts
AMEN Boots!

My old boss used to buy Bonneville SSEI's every couple of years, and go through tires like they were made of cheese, because he drove like an idiot. The original set would last about a year, then he would'nt spend more than $100 per tire to replace them....and the replacements would last MAYBE 6-8 months before they were bald on the shoulders. He would replace V rated tires with S or less rated tires. Brake pads were a similar story.

Now he has a Trailblazer....he's gonna wear the thing for a hat the way he drives!

BTW, I hate those stupid Potenza's too. Trying to get one more year out of them, though.

·
Registered
107 Posts
What are your suggested replacements? It's no fair coming to the table complaining without any solutions or recommendations.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
nedro said:
What are your suggested replacements? It's no fair coming to the table complaining without any solutions or recommendations.
Depends on what you drive (OBS, OB, OBXT?), how you drive it (spirited?, normal?, cruising?), in what conditions you drive (lot's of rain? Snow? Dirt roads?), and do you want all seasons or are you planning to use two sets? (Summer/Winter)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sduford said:
Depends on what you drive (OBS, OB, OBXT?), how you drive it (spirited?, normal?, cruising?), in what conditions you drive (lot's of rain? Snow? Dirt roads?), and do you want all seasons or are you planning to use two sets? (Summer/Winter)
Good questions. I used to usually get 2 sets of wheels/tires for summer(aggressive)/winter(snow) but I was hoping I could get away with 1 set for the Subaru (given the AWD). I don't ever go extreme/off-road but we get an awful lot of rain and snow in VT. I'd be willing to give up on the "spiritedness" of the tires for something that has excellent snow/wet capabilities (but has an acceptable year-round ride). Most of my trips are short/stop-go with few long highway cruises planned. (I have another car for "performance" driving/road-trips) I was thinking Nokian WR from what I've seen here, open to other suggestions (if this thread is going to continue in that direction :) ) I don't think those Falkens are quite what I'm looking for, for this car.

Thanks,
-Peter
(my RE92s came with my car but I highly doubt I ever would have purchased them independently!)

·
Administrator
4,269 Posts
nedro said:
I figured with all the tire preaching I do around here that my recommendations would already be pretty well known :)

OBXT: Michelin Pilot Sport A/S

Anything else: Nokian WR

;)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
About this Discussion
8 Replies
6 Participants
Kevin
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing