Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize the differing viewpoints in the problems of subies backing over an object. My issue is not being able to back up an uphill driveway. Has happened with 2 different paved driveways. My sons and a friends. Both times had a running start. Pedal to the metal does not help. Just powers out and stops. So much for rolling starts. These 2 driveways are about 40 feet long. Can go up very easily driving straight up.
I do some offroad so I could easily get in a situation where I might not be able to back up a hill or go ahead. Scary as there is no cell reception where I go. Dealer shakes his head to no avail. Has anyone got any suggestions? I love this car otherwise! 2.5 has lots of power pulling 18' boat or travel trailer.
Many thanks

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I realize the differing viewpoints in the problems of subies backing over an object. My issue is not being able to back up an uphill driveway. Has happened with 2 different paved driveways. My sons and a friends. Both times had a running start. Pedal to the metal does not help. Just powers out and stops. So much for rolling starts. These 2 driveways are about 40 feet long. Can go up very easily driving straight up.
I do some offroad so I could easily get in a situation where I might not be able to back up a hill or go ahead. Scary as there is no cell reception where I go. Dealer shakes his head to no avail. Has anyone got any suggestions? I love this car otherwise! 2.5 has lots of power pulling 18' boat or travel trailer.
Many thanks
My MT subaru would not go up two driveways belonging to friends backwards or forwards. Always had to park at the bottom of the hill and walk up. My CVT powers up the driveway just fine. Whats the take away to this? Simple power vs gearing the MT subaru lacked the gearing and the power to climb said driveways. The new CVT climbs the driveway just fine thanks to the Torque Converter preventing the engine from stalling. Will it back up the driveway? No idea I always drive up it going forward.

Was this an issue with the 5spd MT? Sure any time I was towing our boat and looking at boat ramps I had to consider that the Subaru might not have enough grunt to haul us and the boat up the hill. The CVT does it even better locked into 1st manual which is the lowest ratio the CVT offers you.

Do cars have limitations? Sure they do! Knowing the limitations of your car is all part of using it.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
618 Posts
Here we go again... let's hear the exact same things. Please look around and read the other threads. I'll give a Cliff's notes version here:
You aren't going to fix it, and neither is Subaru. Get a different car if yours doesn't do what you need it to.

That's it in a nutshell. Get a trailer hitch, and mount a winch in it when you go offroad. Or up a driveway backwards. Problem solved (without a new car.)

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
Here we go again... let's hear the exact same things. Please look around and read the other threads. I'll give a Cliff's notes version here:
You aren't going to fix it, and neither is Subaru. Get a different car if yours doesn't do what you need it to.

That's it in a nutshell. Get a trailer hitch, and mount a winch in it when you go offroad. Or up a driveway backwards. Problem solved (without a new car.)
+1 LOL. And the 2.5 IS better than the 3.6.....Oh, wait a minute, wrong war.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,706 Posts
I drove an '81 Civic wagon for 19 years. Probably the best overall car I've ever owned.

Back when I was raising tropical fish, I had a chance to buy some 20gal tanks from a Discus/angel fish breeder(I kid you not, his name was Thor !). His driveway was absolutely ridiculous, the house was made with an elevated circular in the front, but the driveway to the garage was 'inaccessible' by both his cars. (I remember one was a chevy sedan of some kind, the other was a Jeep but probably auto?) Anyway, he said neither of his cars could get up there and he 'knew' my Civic wouldn't. Well, of course, I had to try, I backed up 90% of the way. Then, the buddy that was with me motioned for me to get closer (after I thought to myself @55h0le! lol!) I pulled the handbrake up , revved, clutch out, release brake and backed up another few feet - it got flatter too so, I should've done that to start with. Saved us from toting 9 fish tanks down this crazy hill.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
About the backing up issue was just wondering if this is a common prob or just mine. Or if others have had this issue. Been driving for 50 years and seems such a strange issue. Can't back up a hill. Really! Too high geared is not issue, as backing up boat to launch can do that slowly. Holding your foot on the brake and flooring it is best way to describe how it feels. Would not trade this car for much except the for the new subie with eyesight. Would definitely see if it would back up a hill first. 2.5 with CVT.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts