Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have searched and read thread after thread about brake pads and rotors and the only thing I have learned is that nobody seems to agree on the best approach to a brake job. Lets see if we can come up with something here.

I have a 2001 Outback and I would like to change the pads on both front and back. The last time I changed the pads I used cheapo parts from the local Orielly and had them turn the rotors. This time, I want to get good pads and I'll probably change out the rotors. This is where I am seeing a lot of disagreement on the threads. SOme people vehemently say that OEM Subaru pads and rotors are the best and only ones you should buy. See this blog post:

Seattle Subaru Brake Service Tips. :

Other people say, just as vehemently, that aftermarket pads and rotors are just as good or better than OEM. Within that, people suggest Centric, Hawk, Bendix, and others.

It will cost me about twice as much to go OEM compared to Centric or Bendix, which is still not bad compared to taking it to a shop but I don't want to spend that much more money for OEM unless there is good reason to do so.

What do you think and why?

I just use my Subaru as a daily driver. No spirited driving just basic driving in town.

Thanks.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,628 Posts
you sorta answered your own question - it comes down to money really.

you already know from reading, no one is suggesting the cheapest route. You already know, the soob stuff is good. OK, some people are in a finacial position to stay with that - they will likely not experience an issue. PLENTY of people have used aftermarket , name brand quality pads, and have good experience. When it comes to rotors, again, OEM has a good reputation, but MANY people have used quality aftermarkets and had good value.

at present, both my cars have original rotors - I will keep them as long as possible, minimum thickness is stamped on them somewhere. I have never bought Subaru pads. The ONLY aftermarket pads that were bad, were some cheap Wagner pads on clearance. Since going to Name-Brand ceramics or name-brand para-aramid, I have had 0 problems.

If I ever need rotors, I'll get Centric Premium. I wouldn't expect any problems from them.

·
Registered
2002 Outback H6 / 2003 Audi A4 1.8t
37 Posts
I would recommend aftermarket parts. I don't see the point in spending
2-3 times the money on OEM parts. Especially if you just use the car for
commuting. Buts that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
2002 Subaru Outback H6 L.L.Bean
298 Posts
I used cheap pads and rotors last round from advance, and was disappointed. I am also looking for recommendations to make my 02 with 01 brakes stop better.

T

·
0 Posts
My cousin is a Subaru mechanic. Last brake job I performed on my 2004 OB I asked what he thought would be the best course of action. His advice : after-market rotors, Subaru OEM pads. I did as he suggested and all is well. The pads fit exactly as they should have, the rotors were about 1/3 the price of OEM ones. Glad I listened to a 'pro'.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This does help.

On other thing with regard to pads.

Does anyone know for sure if the Centric Posi Quite pads come with shims AND clips or just the shims. Most seem to come with only shims. Bendix are the only aftermarket pads that I can verify come with both. OEM pads come with both so I assume they should all be changed with the pads.

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
the ones I have 'on hold' in the garage have the shims on the pad and the anti-rattle clips in a separate plastic bag in the box.

If the old ones are OK, no reason to change them. Some people run without them but I doubt I would if given a choice.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I just put aftermarket Raybestos Professional Grade Ceramics in my '07 2.5i. The front OEMs I removed had a superior backing system (2 layers) and a larger pad surface area than the RBs. The rears appeared the same. The RBs work fine, but next fronts will be OEM.

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
dunno if it holds for all years or how far back, but my OEM pads were Akebono ceramics.

running PosiQuiet ceramic on the OB and StopTech Street performance on the WRX.

The stoptechs dust, but really stop well, well enough for an occasional track day;

wish I could go to the track, haven't been in a LONG time.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Auto Parts stores - get the higher quality, name brand, semi-metallics or ceramics. They work well and last.

If your rotors aren't vibrating on braking then they're fine to retain.

Subaru stuff is really good, just pricey.

Hawk, etc, seem overkill to me. Whatever pad you buy is going to lock up your wheels and trigger the ABS so Improving stopping distances seems trivial.

·
Registered
17,628 Posts
^^^ good point, often people run upgraded components, but still have cheap touring tires. waste of money.

upgrade the tires first, then see if you need upgraded brake parts. First time I went to the track, I ran OEM, not sure I noticed a difference the second time I went with the StopTech. Of course, I'm not really a race driver and may not have been pushing the edge of the envelope. At least they aren't expensive pads.

I'd never run them on our Outback with it's 'normal' tires.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
and to follow up on LT's comment - simply getting new fluid and components in there, slides greased, might improve things if you're having weak braking.

·
Registered
19 Limited/20 Onyx (7TH)
609 Posts
I had a fairly new Raybestos pad separate from the backing,,,, they have horrible customer service and I will never again buy their product. They do not stand behind their product IMO.

·
Registered
'01 Outback
220 Posts
I got my pads directly from Wilwood and my rotors from rockauto. I got crossdrilled andd slotted rotors for $39/ea, and the pads were something like $75 for the fronts (don't need the rears yet).

I'm muuuuuuuuuch happier with the wilwood pads than the stockers. Much higher initial bite, less fade, better pedal feel, etc, etc... Basically just a better setup.

Remember, Subaru designs parts to be profitable, not for performance (unless you get a performance car).

·
Registered
22,836 Posts
I got my pads directly from Wilwood and my rotors from rockauto. I got crossdrilled andd slotted rotors for $39/ea, and the pads were something like $75 for the fronts (don't need the rears yet).

I'm muuuuuuuuuch happier with the wilwood pads than the stockers. Much higher initial bite, less fade, better pedal feel, etc, etc... Basically just a better setup.

Remember, Subaru designs parts to be profitable, not for performance (unless you get a performance car).
Remember Subaru designs their cars to have solid reliability and enough life in parts to remain competitive. When you make 250,000 cars pretty sure you get a bulk discount on the pads you order with a compound that meets your performance and length of working life requirements.

$39 rotors are for sure not high quality parts Just sayn

·
Registered
'01 Outback
220 Posts
Remember Subaru designs their cars to have solid reliability and enough life in parts to remain competitive. When you make 250,000 cars pretty sure you get a bulk discount on the pads you order with a compound that meets your performance and length of working life requirements.

$39 rotors are for sure not high quality parts Just sayn
Sure, the parts meet spec, but suby isnt going to put a higher quality component in if there's even a 0.5% price difference, especially for a wear item.

$39 rotors aren't uber-quality. However the brembo rotors on the STi are $250/ea and there's no reason to go that far, especially for an obw.

*edit* I just looked at the rotor box and they're stopcentric rotors. Brembo, they're not, but they're still better than oem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts