Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium (w/ E.S.)
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read a couple of these already, but checking my 2018 (~600mi) this weekend it looks like it was overfilled. I checked it after it sat for two days in the level driveway and then again yesterday after a long drive. It's about 1/2 inch above the full hole.

I called the local dealer and one of the service rep made it sound like this was somewhat acceptable, but said to bring it in if I wanted it drained. He did say they don't add oil during PDI, so it would've been overfilled at the factory.

Not sure how much I trust the dealer if they let it out the door overfilled. Should I just drain it into a clean bucket and refill? I guess I could throw a Fumoto on it while I'm at it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,317 Posts
If memory serves well, the difference between the two holes is 1 quart. So you have 1/3 quart or so over full with the engine off: filter drained/oil channels emptied. I wouldn't worry about the extra bit, not enough to cause issues or foaming.

I fill mine a bit above the full mark to compensate for the above empty items.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5, Ice Silver
893 Posts
Fumoto valve is fantastic, but I would not drain this for at least a few thousand miles!

·
Registered
6,062 Posts
That looks acceptable to me.
+1. Now I am beginning to understand why some automakers are designing cars without a dipstick.

Reactions: ammcinnis

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited, Twilight Blue/Ivory
273 Posts
this seems to be common practice, as my 2017 was filled almost exactly the same (just slightly above the high mark). i even posted here asking about it, and asked my dealer about it as well. as others have said, it's no biggie and nothing to be concerned about.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the replies. Very glad I don't need to drain the oil this weekend. I'll still keep an eye on it though.

Already looking for a Fumoto valve, leaning towards the F108S.

Do you guys have any recommendations for filters? I've read the blue ones are the standard, black might be better. How about Wix or Purolator? Just want to know what my options are.

Thanks!

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
Not sure how much I trust the dealer if they let it out the door overfilled. .
I would worry about a dealer that does obsess about that, more than one that doesn't. There would be more risk in assessing and doing something about it, than the zero risk in doing nothing.

It's benign, statistical significance = 0.

"overfilling" is really only an issue when they're testing for oil consumption, to give accurate results. you're not doing that here, so it's best not to "borrow" information. meaning "it's true over there" - it must be universally true and my car is in trouble. don't do that.

Do you guys have any recommendations for filters? I've read the blue ones are the standard, black might be better. How about Wix or Purolator?!
You'll likely end up with OEM or whatever personal preference is latent - might as well just do that now and save yourself the time.

There are better filters than OEM and better oil than OEM, but it's difficult to sift through the commentary to end up at anything mechanically significant, particularly on this forum. The quantity of commentary, most of it anecdotal or not well informed, on this forum makes it hard to sift. And given your question about "overfilling" I'm assuming the sifting won't be easy for you.

There are highly experienced people that know what happens at the lubrication driven failure points of Subaru engines when they're pushed to failure. They are the best of the best at analyzing, assessing, constantly learning and updating, the causative roles lubrication plays in platform specific Subaru failure modes.

IMO that level of feedback isn't widely available on this forum, if it all, making it difficult to sift.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
3,246 Posts
^LOL, while I concur with your observations related to forum opinion, I fail to find value in this repeated lecturing on the inadequacies of "this forum" and the superiority of certain mythical individuals. "This forum" is just like every other internet forum. Just because there tends to be an excessive amount of unsubstantiated statements masquerading as facts doesn't mean the OP is incapable of separating wheat from chaff.

...And given your question about "overfilling" I'm assuming the sifting won't be easy for you...
Why so condescending?

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i Convenience
1,317 Posts
Do you guys have any recommendations for filters? I've read the blue ones are the standard, black might be better. How about Wix or Purolator? Just want to know what my options are.
Whatever filter you look for, take a look at the bypass pressure spec. Subies run high with a 23 PSI bypass, not all filters meet that.

I hear Wix and NAPA gold (made by Wix) are good. Nothing wrong with OEM either and you know it works/is approved by SOA. Also, if you buy the filter at the dealership, they have a record of maintenance being done. I have just been using OEM and haven't seen an issue (filters always look pretty good for the use). As long as you do oil changes at regular intervals you likely will not have a gunk buildup and no filtration issues.

I hear purolator is not that good in general. We don't have them here, so I have no first hand experience with them.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,391 Posts
^LOL, while I concur with your observations related to forum opinion, I fail to find value in this repeated lecturing on the inadequacies of "this forum"
"this forum" - i like the forum or i wouldn't be here. that we can have this conversation without flaming is a great attribute!

i don't see it as an inadequacy, but just one tool in the tool box. it's neither good or bad like an "inadequacy" would be, it's just different like which ratchet is better?

in general i do have a distaste for how oil discussions typically unfold. i do try to avoid a lot of them, maybe i can ignore more and i think there are forum options for disabling my posts i think? i get that, i really do, and i'll still buy you a beer.

lots of people repeat things on a forum. sorry if it comes out as lecturing, there's plenty of anecdotal stuff repeated all the time that's not helpful at all, but it's discussion and community so i get that. there is more scope and breadth to oil discussions than what typically comes from one thread, some people could find value in that.

doesn't mean the OP is incapable of separating wheat from chaff.
well that's sort of my point - wheat isn't even likely to show up in this thread and may be hard to find.

Why so condescending?
i didn't think it was. i do focus on facts, so i'll lean on practicality and getting down to root data - while it's not personal i can see how it could be seen that way.

and hey it's a two way street - when i want to learn something - i want to listen, have someone be 'condescending' to me (if that's what we want to call that), whatever - if i've got a minute with someone who knows something and i have a legitimate question i want to answer or know about - i'm all ears. i do this all the time. if i have a question or issue my first thought is "who is exceptional in situations like this?" and i make no associations regarding myself or skill sets or whatever.

i assume the OP is perfectly adept in their own context in life that they don't need to die on the hill of oil change questions.

·
Registered
My wifes 2016 2.5 LTD W/ Everything -and 2" Eco-hitch
189 Posts
I have a marine inboard oil suction device - I find it pretty handy to remove fluids. But I think you are ok -don't these burn a qt per 1k miles anyway?

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,141 Posts
Non-issue. That's where mine was filled to from factory. I suspect that's a 5.1 qt. fill. When I change my own oil, a 5 qt. bottle fills it to full mark.

·
Registered
'15 OB Limited 2.5L; '97 Wrangler 2.0L
46 Posts
Thanks for all the replies. Very glad I don't need to drain the oil this weekend. I'll still keep an eye on it though.

Thanks!
I change my own oil (and filter). Mobile 1 extended performance with M1-110/M1-110A filter

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,712 Posts

Thanks!
Remember that .1 of a quart is only 3 tablespoons. That's it. On my car supposedly 6.9 quarts is the fill amount but I dump in the full 7 and call it good.

I changed my oil this past Saturday and the Fumoto makes it a mess free task. I even took a sample for Blackstone too.

Filters - This is like someone telling you what type and brand of underwear to buy but since you asked... I like the Fram Ultra followed by the M1. The factory filters leave a lot to be desired in cleaning ability.

People are always getting worked up over the bypass setting in a factory filter but on this forum I've run across very few people who truly know what the setting means relative to the filtering. Understand that and you understand why the factory filter is decent for the price point but offers little else in terms of super duper filtering.

Hint - Pressure differential.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Remember that .1 of a quart is only 3 tablespoons. That's it. On my car supposedly 6.9 quarts is the fill amount but I dump in the full 7 and call it good.

I changed my oil this past Saturday and the Fumoto makes it a mess free task. I even took a sample for Blackstone too.

Filters - This is like someone telling you what type and brand of underwear to buy but since you asked... I like the Fram Ultra followed by the M1. The factory filters leave a lot to be desired in cleaning ability.

People are always getting worked up over the bypass setting in a factory filter but on this forum I've run across very few people who truly know what the setting means relative to the filtering. Understand that and you understand why the factory filter is decent for the price point but offers little else in terms of super duper filtering.

Hint - Pressure differential.
Thanks for the follow-up. Already have my Fumoto for the next change. Haven't gotten any filters yet, but I'll probably give each on a go: OE, Wix, Fram Ultra, M1.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited, Crimson Red Pearl
123 Posts
Semicolon - my 2018 OB, bought 5 weeks ago, was also slightly overfilled with oil like your car. IMO, I attribute it to the emptying of the oil filter back into the oil pan in the FB25 engine, as the filter is up high and up-side down, relative to most other cars. When you restart the car, the oil flows back into the oil filter, filling it up, and all is normal WRT the oil level. As a benchmark, you might try checking the oil level around 30 seconds after the engine is shut off and before the oil drains out of the filter to get a truer reading.

FYI - Amazon has the OEM oil filter for $7.65 and the M1-110 oil filter for $11.99, last time I bought them (the M1 is for my wife's 2014 Accord).

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,150 Posts
... I attribute it to the emptying of the oil filter back into the oil pan in the FB25 engine, as the filter is up high and up-side down ...
The filter includes an anti-drainback valve.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts