Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2002 H6-3.0 LL Bean
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 LLB

I've read all the pertinent threads in regard to this issue. None of the solutions offered worked in my case.

The finger loop is now broken off.

What would a shop do to get the darn thing outta there?

I was at the salvage yard and picked up a dipstick for a buck. its not from an H6 but I figured I could cut the stick off and use it as a cap until I order one.

·
Registered
2002 H6-3.0 LL Bean
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also picked up a gray button key fob for a buck and reprogrammed it...now we have one as a spare :)

·
Registered
18,722 Posts
What would a shop do to get the darn thing outta there?
Might try "injecting" some ATF in at the top to wet the o-ring that is probably sticking to the inside of the dipstick tube.

Other than this and wrenching it out (which could damage the tube itself), a mechanic might remove the whole dipstick tube. It's held in place by a bracket, and fits into the transmission with an o-ring seal. Once the tube is out it would be easier to remove the the remains of the dipstick, even if the yellow top has to be broken into pieces. (This might require draining the transmission oil pan so that there isn't an outflow when the dipstick tube is removed. But then, a drain and refill with new fluid won't do the transmission any harm either.)

·
Registered
2002 H6-3.0 LL Bean
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks plain OM. I will try getting the atf in there, and also have 4 quarts of atf on standby.

(doing a pan drain & fill was my original intent anyway)

·
Registered
2006 WX8, 59E
1,089 Posts
That's exactly what should be done. A new O-ring sealing the tube to the trans. case would be needed.

·
Registered
2002 H6-3.0 LL Bean
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I only see one bolt, on the retaining bracket. Am I missing one?

after I remove bolt(s?), does the tube just lift out of the tranny?

·
Registered
18,722 Posts
I only see one bolt, on the retaining bracket.
As far as I can tell, there's only that one, but perhaps Glenna5id has actually done it and knows that there's two.

The tube should lift out of the tranny, but I'm not sure if with the engine off, the level of fluid in the bottom of the transmission is actually above the opening. So either be very prepared, or drain the pan before removing the tube.

As noted, you will need a new o-ring -- the one on there will probably be hard and not very good if re-used.

Let us know what you find and how it turns out.

·
Registered
06 OBW 2.5, 05 Forester, had 03 H6 OBW
5,947 Posts
There is just the big one going in the front of the trans.

It can take some coaxing to get it out, getting some penetrating oil around where it goes in the trans ahead of time can help.

It goes off to one side, so it's tough to lift it straight out, but it fits tight enough it has to go straight up.

·
Registered
2002 H6-3.0 LL Bean
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm tackling this today.

anyone know if I can use a dipstick from an H4?
picked one up at the junkyard. I'll take measurements, if the blade is too long I'll simply cut it and use the cap until I order the correct dipstick.

do we need a write-up on H6 transmission dipstick tube removal? lol :ttiwwp:

·
Registered
18,722 Posts
Guess we do, given this thread. Post in the DIY sub-forum, and of course, pics!

(Let us know if the H4 dipstick is the same. That's another bit of information that might be useful . . .)

·
Registered
2002 H6-3.0 LL Bean
163 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok...didnt get at it today.

procrastination....made plans to do it tomorrow. was cold here today and the wife is under the weather. better to take care of her rather than the H6.......isnt it? lol

I will take pics and do a write up in the diy forum. Dealer didnt have any 10.8 x 1.9 o rings.

hope its not a problem to source them at my local hardware store....we'll see.

·
Registered
2003 OB 2.5L AT
66 Posts
Just wondering if you actually got the dipstick tube removed and how many bolts are there ? Was it difficult to get at with the car on jack stands ?

my 2003 ej25 4eat seems to have the same issue. I could not pull the transmission dipstick. I will try to see if can work some AT fluid into the tube opening to free up that o-ring.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
1 bolt, a big one that goes in the front of the trans proper.

I pulled the tube from my donor trans for clearance during install, it was a tough job even with the trans up on the bench.

·
Registered
2003 OB 2.5L AT
66 Posts
AT Dipstick length measurements needed

2003 Base Outback wagon 2.5L 4EAT automatic 155K miles
Got the car used, doing the basic maintenance for my records.

Can someone with the same model car give measurements of how long the dipstick is from the tip that goes into the fluid to the yellow ridge where it sits above the tube. When I get the chance, I might do this myself and you can let me know. I know it is noted here on the thread that they are the same for 4EAT.

Problem:

Dipstick stuck, was replaced by used part from subaru transmission by indy subaru shop. Picked up the car late, could not talked to shop people to show me the old part. I marked the old dipstick so I know it is not the same.

It was also noted there is too much AT fluid. Checked cold on flat drive way before driving out in the morning, it is 1/2 inch above the Hot-Full mark, the car shifts alright but could be smoother, I will do a drain and fill this week, I just need to make sure I got the right level.

Thanks.

·
Registered
5,947 Posts
Well, my 2003 non-vdc 4eat:
inches...
lip to:
end 17.5
cold L 17 5/16
cold H 16 7/8 (just over)
hot L 16 1/8
hot H 15 3/4

·
Premium Member
01 VDC, 05 R Sedan, 06 BAJA EJ257
15,483 Posts
Did you warm up the transmission before you checked the level?

A cold transmission has a lot of fluid drained into the pan and will show high.

·
Registered
18,722 Posts
. . .Checked cold on flat drive way before driving out in the morning, it is 1/2 inch above the Hot-Full mark, . . .
Did you warm up the transmission before you checked the level?

A cold transmission has a lot of fluid drained into the pan and will show high.
I think the issue is whether or not the engine was running (and the transmission had been moved through the different gears before), when the level was measured. The ATF can be checked with the tranny cool and, in a properly-filled transmission, the measured level would be closer to the "Cold" marks on the dipstick, rather than the "Hot" marks. But if the ATF level is checked with the engine off, it will be above the "Hot" marks.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts