Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of December's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 2.5i Limited; "Wanderlust II"
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the official name of the little rubber accordion-like sleeve with the grommet on each end, that carries the wiring harness between the body and the liftgate on our cars? There's one on each side of the top of the liftgate?

One of mine tore in half the other night, resulting in a massive water leak directly into the ceiling of my wagon, every time it rains. I'm trying to find a part number for it, but without a name that's not so easy.

·
Registered
19,514 Posts
There is no part number for that rubber accordion-like sleeve.

Because there's connectors at both ends of the harness that cannot fit through the sleeve, during manufacture of the harness the wires are usually passed through the sleeve before the connectors are attached.

Even if a good sleeve could be found (e.g., from a wreck, or a harness that had been removed and replaced due to broken wires), the connectors on the current harness (at least at one end) would have to be removed, and then replaced, to allow the sleeve to be installed over the wires.

But the extent of that work depends on which one is cut, the one on the left (driver) side, or the right side. The left side only has a few wires and the washer fluid hose going through it, whereas the right side has a fair number of wires, and more/larger connectors.

·
Registered
2003 Legacy L/SE Wagon (5 Speed)
179 Posts
+1 to what plain OM said.
I’ve tried to replace that exact part in the past and Just ended up getting some sealant from the auto store, or superglue and then silocone over it. Works just as good if you do it right.

You could do it the other way, it is just a huge pain and a high chance of screwed up more things!

·
Premium Member
2018 2.5i Limited; "Wanderlust II"
512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
But the extent of that work depends on which one is cut, the one on the left (driver) side, or the right side. The left side only has a few wires and the washer fluid hose going through it, whereas the right side has a fair number of wires, and more/larger connectors.
That's odd; my car is backwards... I have the washer hose and the larger bundle on the left side of the car and only two wires on the right side. Fortunately the right side is the one that ripped...

I guess I'll head over to the recycler yard go for a walk in the sunshine down Subaru Row, see if I can find a good one on one of the carcasses.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts