Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,
I know there's been plenty of discussion around this, but I have one direct question I would really appreciate help with. Is anyone aware of any technical reason NOT to use Subaru oil filter part # 15208AA160 (Tokyo-Roki), instead of Subaru oil filter part # 15208AA15A (Honeywell) on a 2013 Outback 2.5 (FB25 engine)?
I know during the recall of said Honeywell filter some dealers were substituting the Tokyo-Roki, so I can't see how there could be any warranty issue brought into question. From reading on some of the boards it appears the 2 filters have identical specs as far as bypass pressure, anti-drainback valve, size, etc. I'm not trying to re-ignite debate about the quality difference between filters. I don't like the internal design of the Honeywell filter and its carryovers from Fram (even though it obviously meets Subaru's specs) and I'd rather not use it for my oil changes. I feel the Tokyo-Roki is a better design, but want to ask if there's a reason not to use it on my '13 2.5 Outback.
Thanks very much for any opinions!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I think the best you'll do for a reason not to use the 160 is that it's not the filter called for in the manual. I don't think you'll find a technical reason. As you said, the 160 has the same specs (slightly more filtration area); Subaru used the 160 during the 15A recall; and it is the recommended filter for the Forester with the same engine. In the end it's just an oil filter and with the same specs one will filter as well as the other. It's no different than using an aftermarket filter.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts