Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 Outback with a power liftgate. I've searched the forum trying to find someone with a similar problem, but no luck.

After the car has been sitting for a minute or two, the lift gate will always require two presses to open (either fob key or exterior button). The first press will cause the lift gate to move ever so slow slightly, and it sounds like there's some unlatching going on, but no beeps or flashes. After waiting a few seconds, the second button press will make it beep/flash and it will open.

This happens if the all the doors are unlocked and it has been sitting for a minute. Or, if the doors are all locked, you have to unlock them, wait a few seconds for the liftgate to make its weird noise/movement, then press the liftgate button. If you press the button sooner, nothing happens.

Another thing I noticed is if the car has been unlocked and sitting for a while (like it does in our garage), opening any of the doors causes the liftgate to make its weird noise/movement, and then you can open it on the first press (as long as you do it within a minute, then it resets and requires two presses again).

Is this normal behavior? I talked to the subaru service shop and they said it was working "as expected". But they may have a different opinion on what is normal...

·
Registered
2016 3.6R Limited, w/ES, Ice Silver
600 Posts
It's unclear from your post if this is a new behavior, or if it worked differently in the past.

It took me a bit to master the fob vs. the lift gate button. The lift gate is a momentary press. I press the fob longer, waiting for multiple beeps (two slow, followed by four quick ones). The door then opens normally. I've seen the behavior that you describe if I don't hold the fob button long enough.

YMMV.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been this way as long as we can remember, and we've had the car for a couple years now.

It's definitely not a timing issue with pressing the fob or trunk button. I quickly press the trunk button and hold down the fob and get the same behavior.

Actually, if I don't release and re-press the fob, it will never open. It makes the weird movement/sound and then does nothing.

I just don't know if this is standard OB behavior or there's something wrong...

·
Registered
Outback 1: 2015 2.5i Limited. Option 23, PP5, Hitch. Ice Silver. Outback 2: 2015 2.5i Limited, Option 23, PP5, Carbide Gray.
1,022 Posts
It's been this way as long as we can remember, and we've had the car for a couple years now.

It's definitely not a timing issue with pressing the fob or trunk button. I quickly press the trunk button and hold down the fob and get the same behavior.

Actually, if I don't release and re-press the fob, it will never open. It makes the weird movement/sound and then does nothing.

I just don't know if this is standard OB behavior or there's something wrong...
Your Outback has a warranty. Why haven't you taken it to a Subaru Service facility to have them troubleshoot the issue? Hard to believe you have put up with this for two years.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did take it to the Subaru service shop... they said it was normal... that's why I'm trying to see if other owners think it is normal.

·
Registered
2015 Outback 2.5i Limited, Ice Silver/Black
2,555 Posts
With mine (keyed) a press and hold on the key opens the hatch in one move.
Using the outside button, only a quick press will open it. A press and hold just causes it to unlatch.
I don't have your other behaviors under any circumstances.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts