Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
05' Outback L.L.Bean Ed.
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a 2005 Outback L.L. Bean with H6.

I have both fan replace recently because it blew the fuse and check engine light came on with cruise light blinking. Put new fuse in and blew right away. Check wiring and all look good.

Since the car has over 150k miles, I decide to replace both fan motors for good measure. On top of that, I replaced the fan relay as well. H6 model only came with 1 fan relay.

I then proceed to erase the check engine light. Now...when I start the car cold, both fans came on instantly in high speed even without the A/C on. After I drove until temperature warms up. Everything runs fine except the fans just keep on going.

I know this is not normal because I know the fans usually don't comes on until the car warm up. Then when I shut off the car, the fans will shut off right away. It use to keep going for a minute or two and shut off by itself.

Is this ECM problem? Does it need to be replace or some thing I can reset? After I erase the fan circuit error, there is no more code come back anymore.

Any suggestion would be appreciate.

·
Registered
19,633 Posts
First, which fuse blew? There are several fuses involved with the fan relay, so knowing which one blew would help identify where the short was.

Not sure why you replaced the fan relay and the fan motors -- that must have been an expensive, and perhaps unnecessary approach. In any event, did you use new genuine Subaru parts?

Then when I shut off the car, the fans will shut off right away. It use to keep going for a minute or two and shut off by itself.
As far as I know, and based on the wiring diagram, if the key is turned to OFF, the fans should stop. (The energizing power to the relay comes through the IGN/ON position of the ignition switch, and the power for the motors is through the main relay contacts. With the switch at Off, the relay is not energized, and therefore there's no power through the main contacts for the motors.)

The H6 uses a separate fan module (electronic circuit) to control the fans based on commands from the ECU. This too could be faulty.

What trouble code (Pxxxx) was indicated?

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,868 Posts
I'd try putting the original relay back in or 'borrowing' a similar relay from a different circuit.(if possible)

·
Premium Member
(formerly) 03 H6 OBW , (presently) 06 WRX Sportwagon & 2021 Honda CR-V
18,868 Posts
any update on this?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts