Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody ever ask Subaru why is there a 9 3/4" minimum crossbar spacing between the front of the rack? It looks like there is room enough to move the front crossbar closer to the front of the car by 4 or 5" yet Subaru's manual states a minimum 9 3/4" clearence.

I'd ask Subaru but my VIN number isn't supported yet by their "my Subaru" website. Just tried to register, not a big deal but my kayak wouldn't hang out the back so much if I could move it up a bit, it sits so much further back than my sedan, the long roofline of a wagon/SUV seems wasted.

Jay

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
It might be a wind-noise issue, as there is a lot of high-pressure flow and buffeting off the top of the windshield. I say try putting the crossbar as far forward as it will go, and drive with nothing else of the roof. Maybe you'll get whistling or other noise. Even if you do, it might make a decent trade-off of noise vs. securing the cargo well.

I run my 98 without the crossbars; I thought I might need them to carry my friend's canoe, but it rides better straight on the rails without the bars.

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I emailed SOA and they said it is OK to move it up closer than the 9 3/4" it states in the install sheet. the 9 3/4" thing is generic and it just is a mean to clear the front mounting point where the rack is. However, I also noticed that the install sheet says the rear crossbar is supposed to be flush against the rear railing mount... This defeats the purpose of me trying to move the two crossbars up so my kayak doesn't hang out the back so much. Oh well, one would think a wagon would be a better platform to carry stuff.

I guess I could get Thule crossbars and the crossroads adaptor...

Jay

·
Registered
'02 Outback Limited, '00 GT
25 Posts
One concern about moving the front cross bar too far forward on an Outback/Legacy equiped with a sunroof is that the front tilt-up roof panel may hit any accessory or load attached to the cross bar. Beware of those long bolts that stick down from several of the Thule accessories.

·
Registered
2013 XV Crosstrek
665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update!

No sunroof on mine, I didn't feel the $2500 premium for one was worth it for me and I actually prefer cloth to leather for what I use the car for.

I wound up springing for some Thule Crossoroads and LB58 bars. I'll have to see if the added 8 inch bars are useful or not, otherwise, I can go with the 50s.

Jay

·
Registered
'02 Outback Limited, '00 GT
25 Posts
Thule Racks

I have the 58" bars which are handy for big loads especially 4x8 plywood sheets. Another handy accessory are Thule's Load Stops, small triangular brackets to stabilize/secure loads (lumber, furniture, canoes...). The ends of the 58" bars do extend over the sides of the Sub a bit so watch your head getting in/out. Keep in mind that the bars are very easy to cut so don't waste your money/time buying shorter bars unless you like having a spare set.

I agree about the leather seats. I like the leather smell and clean up (kids) but fabric is comfy and free from the ass and back sweats. Enjoy the Thule and remember to carry responsibly! How many pin-heads have we all seen carrying a mattress about to become airborne on the freeway.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts