Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5 PZEV
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2011 base model 2.5i that came with 16" wheels with the Yokohama Avids....now with 29k miles maybe time in the next year to re-tire....Should I consider getting 17's? The 16's have been just fine....any opinions? Thanks.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
what type of tire options you looking for? the larger wheel will give less sidewall flex, allow for bigger brakes, but mostly the tire options are different. you'll find more grippy tires in a larger size. stick with 16 if you frequently go off road. if you're fine with the 16s I see no reason to look into 17s.

·
Registered
2012 4LT Centennial Edition Grand Sport Corvette convertible
494 Posts
what type of tire options you looking for? the larger wheel will give less sidewall flex, allow for bigger brakes, but mostly the tire options are different. you'll find more grippy tires in a larger size. stick with 16 if you frequently go off road. if you're fine with the 16s I see no reason to look into 17s.

Pretty much sums it up.

I'll comment about no reason to look into 17s, however. From my perspective, you can probably pick up a new/very low mileage take-off set of 17" Limited wheels/tires for about the cost of what you can replace the tires only. It really seems like a no-brainer to me if you want 17s. There are currently several sets listed in the Classifieds.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5 PZEV
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I use it on asphalt roads, almost exclusively....I'm thinking no big advantage shifting to 17's also but wanted to check with the forum...

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5 PZEV
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pretty much sums it up.

I'll comment about no reason to look into 17s, however. From my perspective, you can probably pick up a new/very low mileage take-off set of 17" Limited wheels/tires for about the cost of what you can replace the tires only. It really seems like a no-brainer to me if you want 17s. There are currently several sets listed in the Classifieds.

Thanks! I'll check the classified..

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
The advantages to 17 inch wheels are increased tire cost, decreased tire selection, and decreased ride comfort... oh wait. Those are disadvantges :p

Seriously though, go with what you want. 17s are for sure going to fill out the wheel well a little nicer and look a little nicer, they also may handle a little better (YMMV), but IMHO it isn't worth the trade off in replacement cost over 16 inch wheels. That's why I stuck with 16s when I picked out summer wheels for my car.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5 PZEV
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The advantages to 17 inch wheels are increased tire cost, decreased tire selection, and decreased ride comfort... oh wait. Those are disadvantges :p

Seriously though, go with what you want. 17s are for sure going to fill out the wheel well a little nicer and look a little nicer, they also may handle a little better (YMMV), but IMHO it isn't worth the trade off in replacement cost over 16 inch wheels. That's why I stuck with 16s when I picked out summer wheels for my car.
Really appreciate your comment! I'm thinking much the same.

·
Registered
22,806 Posts
I have a 2011 base model 2.5i that came with 16" wheels with the Yokohama Avids....now with 29k miles maybe time in the next year to re-tire....Should I consider getting 17's? The 16's have been just fine....any opinions? Thanks.
Yes you have a wider range of off road tire options with the 16's. No reason to move to 17's unless you think its going to make you feel as if you improved the handling on road.

Personally if I were to rig our 2.5 for back country trips I would track down some 16's and better tires and get rid of our 17's

1 - 10 of 10 Posts