Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well finally the windshield cracked. :(

I was driving down in the highway, no one around heard a pop and immediately got worried. About 2 minutes later the crack appeared... anyone an expert at analyzing these things? It feels pretty flat when I run my finger over it but it definitely has a star shaped crack at the point where it begins to angle to the right.

https://ibb.co/i40yOk

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,307 Posts
based on your title,

I defer to Tyrone Biggums, public educator

Reactions: BOXR 6

·
Master Caster
2005 XT, Mildly Modified...2006 XT Limited, Highly Modifed
16,142 Posts
Chris Rock ... Pookie

·
Registered
2015 3.6R
1,855 Posts
Link didn't work for me but where does the crack originate? Did you get any kind of windshield warranty letter? For Subaru to cover it, it would need to be covered and originate in the deicer area and be flat.

I had my '15 windshield replaced by Subaru because it met the requirements. I had no stone chip or star shaped crack. It was just a flat crack running up from the deicer.

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nah no warranty. I already called safelite, they actually mentioned all of the Outback windshield replacements they've been doing and how there's a warranty due to a defect but this won't be one of them. It's cheaper to go through them than insurance so I'm going to get it replaced on Tuesday.

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,239 Posts
What do expect, your misfortune. Why would you think it is warranted? They are not Big Government.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,307 Posts
Nah no warranty. I already called safelite, they actually mentioned all of the Outback windshield replacements they've been doing and how there's a warranty due to a defect but this won't be one of them. It's cheaper to go through them than insurance so I'm going to get it replaced on Tuesday.
my car's insurance company just lets safelite do all the paperwork, and pays for it even if I don't call the insurance company at all.

(some kind of odd preferred provider relationship on windshields).

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
7,153 Posts
Reactions: OBnube

·
Premium Member
2015 Legacy 3.6R ES, 2014 Forester Touring ES, 2005 Jeep Liberty Limited
3,239 Posts
my car's insurance company just lets safelite do all the paperwork, and pays for it even if I don't call the insurance company at all.

State Farm Insurance has the same relationship with Safelite. Or should I say the are an authorized windshield repair company.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul

·
Registered
1999 30th Anniversary Legacy Outback DOHC 2.5L 4EAT, 2008 Impreza WRX 2.5L 5MT, 2008 Impreza Wagon 2.5L 4EAT
1,224 Posts
The one good thing about Kentucky is there is no deductible for glass replacement if not caused due to collision

·
Registered
2015 Carbide Gray Outback 3.6R with EyeSight
176 Posts
You may want to check with your dealer to see if your car happens to fall under extended windshield warranty program. Based on the location where damage has originated, your car may be covered. See this link for more details: https://subaru.oemdtc.com/384/windshield-cracking-concerns-2015-2016-subaru-legacy-outback/5

·
Registered
17 OB Premium, White w/black
105 Posts

What company is that?

·
Registered
2015 OB 3.6R, Evo 9
8 Posts
You may want to check with your dealer to see if your car happens to fall under extended windshield warranty program. Based on the location where damage has originated, your car may be covered. See this link for more details: https://subaru.oemdtc.com/384/windshield-cracking-concerns-2015-2016-subaru-legacy-outback/5
x2 on this, my outback had a crack that came out of nowhere (no noise of impact or anything). Took it to the dealership and they had to send it up to corporate since it had a star shaped crack (for some reason). Subaru ended up covering it since it started in the area they have indicated covered under the warranty. The area covered is approximately 75% of the bottom of the windshield from the passenger side to driver side.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My dealership arranged for a no charge windshield replacement for my 2016 Outback in Dec '16. I had a horizontal crack from a stone and then it got worse when I turned on the defrost in very cold weather (started smoking, burning the wiper and crack went vertical). From reading other responses on this forum, cracking does appear to be a problem - maybe not bad enough for a recall. The Subaru dealership just said - no problem, we'll get it ordered and have someone out to put it in. I haven't had a problem since.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a 17 3.6r limited build date of 1/17 that we purchased end of May. Took a road trip with it and my parents in August about 1500 miles from Ohio to North Carolina and back. I took a MAJOR hit to the drivers side windshield on the Virginia turnpike at 75 mph. It hit so hard my mom screamed. I saw it coming and I flinched thinking oh crap there goes the windshield, but nothing, no mark or crack at the time.

We were down there for two weeks driving it every day and nothing. On the way home we took 4 MORE lesser hits on the Virginia turnpike and still nothing. I have never had that many hits on one trip let alone over several years and it had to be my new outback!

Here we are almost two months later and nothing has happened. Maybe I'm fortunate, I have had windshields replaced before in other cars for less hits.

Most all glass in today's cars are structural elements, being urethane bonded to their frames, contributing to the overall rigidity of the body structure so they are stressed. Any imperfection in the bedding channel can cause point stress on the glass causing spontaneous cracking.

·
Registered
2014 3.6R Limited
1,030 Posts
I have a 17 3.6r limited build date of 1/17 that we purchased end of May. Took a road trip with it and my parents in August about 1500 miles from Ohio to North Carolina and back. I took a MAJOR hit to the drivers side windshield on the Virginia turnpike at 75 mph. It hit so hard my mom screamed. I saw it coming and I flinched thinking oh crap there goes the windshield, but nothing, no mark or crack at the time.

We were down there for two weeks driving it every day and nothing. On the way home we took 4 MORE lesser hits on the Virginia turnpike and still nothing. I have never had that many hits on one trip let alone over several years and it had to be my new outback!

Here we are almost two months later and nothing has happened. Maybe I'm fortunate, I have had windshields replaced before in other cars for less hits.

Most all glass in today's cars are structural elements, being urethane bonded to their frames, contributing to the overall rigidity of the body structure so they are stressed. Any imperfection in the bedding channel can cause point stress on the glass causing spontaneous cracking.
Hope you knocked on wood before you posted that! :wink2:

·
Registered
2016 2.5i Outback, 2002 Audi S4 Avant, 1980 CB750F Supersport, 1985 Carrera 3.2
568 Posts
Had to replace mine twice this summer from debris due to road construction in my area (luckily AAA covered both at no charge). Both were gravel impacts similar to your scenario where the crack did not immediately start until after the impact (heard both of them). Unfortunately this would not be covered under warranty as they will see it was an impact from the star shaped pattern of the initial impact. The glass repair company that fixed them both times noted this is pretty common with our cars and Legacy's. The glass itself is no different than any other automotive standard, however he suggested that the angle the glass is at for our vehicles might cause it to be more susceptible to cracking under impact (as opposed to the windshield being more at an angle to deflect the impact). I'm only assuming at this point, but I was thinking it might be at a steeper angle for the eye-sight cameras to avoid any false or distorted lensing to the camera, which makes it take on more direct impacts from debris.

Just make sure you have good insurance for it, it has already saved me more than my insurance premium for the year.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts