Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Was wondering if anyone on this forum has a heavily modified outback. I've always liked outback wagons so I bought one recently. I plan on making a total sleeper out of it. So far I have made my own stainless steel catback with a used wrx muffler, put headers on it, intake and a nitrous express kit. Plan on building the motor up or either doing a swap. If anyone out there has a lot of work done to there car I would like to hear about it. interested in seeing what others have done.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
Well, I own an 05 OBXT which is already ridiculously fast. I plan the to buy a Cobb AccessPort in the spring and make it STUPID FAST!!!

It is wonderful to be able to spank fancy sports cars with a jacked-up station wagon :21:

If you modify yours, make sure you get one of these license plate frames

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
Not many that I know of here, although it seems a lot of the people here drive in a fast way even if their cars are stock.

:D

If you're into serious power mods you might get more tips from Legacy and Impreza forums - leads on better clutches and brakes for example.

A sleeper OB sounds like a fun project; I enjoy driving my plain-jane 1998 and looking like I'm borrowing my wife's car. Even going to the grocery store and all that.

And if you wanted to be really unfair, you could absolutely blow away the 2WD cars on wet pavement. Personally, I prefer a gravel road EVIL GRIN

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hahah i love the license plate frame!!! I think I will order one:) I just sold my turbo miata. It was very fast. Engine managment, big turbo, the works. Got the outback because I'm trying to settle down alittle.:) It didn't work! I've had it a month and already put nitrous on it:) It made a big improvement but I want more. I really want to do a wrx motor swap on it or maybe a 2.2 turbo. I'm enjoying the sleeper status though. In the miata it looked like trouble, rollbar, big intercooler.....in the outback.....roofrack and foglights:) Oh, and I've never played in the dirt until I got this car:) Its fun, but I can see where I could get into a lot of trouble doing it:)

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
The_Lizard said:
N
And if you wanted to be really unfair, you could absolutely blow away the 2WD cars on wet pavement. Personally, I prefer a gravel road EVIL GRIN
Yep, I spanked a Vette on wet, slightly sloshy pavement. The guy was as red as his car, and his girlfriend was laughing her guts out.

What? was that a Wagon? A Subaru wagon with roof rails and tall tires?

·
Superb Moderator, ,
6,194 Posts
A heavily modded Outback...Well the new turbo models can kick butt straight from the factory in Indiana. Now, the N/A cars like the ones that I have are much more work to try and squeeze the power out of them. Full exhaust, lightened pulley, CAI, and nitrous are almost everything you can do besides going internal on the 2.2/2.5 liter N/A's

My car is reasonably quick (not fast) and has readily available torque, but the new turbo OB's could more or less kick me around on the street. Right now the best bang for anyone's buck may be to step up to an '05 or newer turbo 2.5 Outback.

They really are fast from the factory and in the near future many, many more mods to quicken them even more. Brian

·
Registered
40 Posts
I agree, if you've got one of the turbo cars, thank your lucky stars...I've got the basic 2.5 and in my opinion, in a drag race, without the turbo to spool up and help negate some of the weight and drag the wagon has, you're gonna get killed by most cars on the road. Once around 3 grand on the tach, well, things tend to change. Not that I've looked for "play pals," but being around my part of the world, one tends to find them and so far, the only person that has totally outrun me was some sort of VW product that resembled a Golf GTI. I hit 115, per speedo, and that was about it...he walked away. Then, the other night, someone in a late model Mustang V6, which I passed doing 70 in a 65 zone decided to put the Subaru in the weeds by blowing past me...Once I caught up, he decided to change himself and I kept going...Hopefully, the lotto prize will come my way and I can get some serious work done on the wagon because like Daimler Chrysler with the Dodge Magnum, well, wagons are nice "sleepers..." traintrackker

·
Registered
45 Posts
Well that isn't very fair, is it? :)

The only incident i have is that there was a Mitsubishi Eclipse, one of the older models so it might be turboed. I don't know, but it has a big tip exhaust. He tried to pass me fast with his farting exhaust blarring away, i just punched it and zoomed past him. I slowed down at 75 mph and then he just passed me by at like 90 mph.

Then he got next to me, an di slowed down to see if he wants to run again, both of us got to 45 mph. I let him punch first, then i hit the throttle and was ahead of him by 4 car length by the time i hit 70 mph.

On the next light i looked over, his girlfriend smiles at us and laughs :)

On the hemi engine wagon -- they're about as fast as the OBT, not much faster. Remember, it's putting out 330 hp but its weight is about 1000 lbs more than the outback.

sduford said:

Yep, I spanked a Vette on wet, slightly sloshy pavement. The guy was as red as his car, and his girlfriend was laughing her guts out.

What? was that a Wagon? A Subaru wagon with roof rails and tall tires?

·
Registered
171 Posts
Coming home tonight, i killed a golf or Gti or one of them, it looked like he put some money into the car. HID's and an in dash computer. And last night, i got into a race with a sentra and a jetta, was ahead of both of them by like 2 cars before i got off...When i start getting some more money, i'll be buying a cat-back exhaust, and thats about it for now. This summer i might be doing an engine swap with my brothers WRX, but we havent decided yet.

-Will

·
Tokyo's between my toes
6,696 Posts
I don't race but I ferret my way through traffic. I even did it on foot in school corridors before I was old enough to drive.

Once in a while you meet up with someone who thinks it an unbearable insult if you go faster than them. Then they have to make a show of going faster, and I usually let them do so unless I don't want them in front of me for some reason.

The closest I come to racing is when some prick decides "you're not going to pass me" and stomps it when I try to get around him on a 2-lane.

In a less competitive way, an entrance ramp can be nice because you have an opportunity to say let's go and have a nice fun run up to speed.
:p

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've made short work of a few cars since I have put the nitrous on:) It makes a huge difference in how the car pulls. Night and day. And from a dead stop the car just slingshots. It basically feels like I have a V8 under the hood. I want to get another car to really fix up again like I did the miata, but at the same time I want to get a little respect for the outback. I either plan on ripping the motor apart and putting forged pistons, stuff like that in it and upping the nitrous to a direct port 150 hp kit, or either pulling the motor and going with a turbo subaru motor. I'm leaning towards the motor swap because I love turbo's. And the great thing about doing a plain jane 2000 outback is that my insurance will be plain jane as well:) The insurance companies don't need to know what is under the hood. I'm making some custom parts for the outback right now at work. I plan on posting some pics of my car when I figure out how to use my new digital camera. My goal is a mid 12 high 13 second 1/4 mile outback. Going to need some serious power though. My miata was a stripped out street legal race car basically, and it only weighed 2200 with me in it. I don't think I want to know how much the outback weighs;)

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
i think it's abt 32-3400 lbs. remind Sly of that, will ya? to get mid 12s with that would require somewhere upward of 350-400 hp, i'd guess. ay caramba! very feasible with turbo, IF you're willing to spend the $ on motor internals to live at those pressures. but sounds like you know that already and like you would be. i'm salivating, post pix when ya do.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
chopstixx said:
I've made short work of a few cars since I have put the nitrous on:) It makes a huge difference in how the car pulls. Night and day. And from a dead stop the car just slingshots. It basically feels like I have a V8 under the hood.
Now my 3.0R could use that, it's **** fast in every respect apart from taking off from a dead stop.. Oh what fun that would be on a wet road :D

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'd agree it'd be a total sleeper car -- but how do you get people to run you? Most of the time people assume the Outback is a slow wagon :) So they won't even bother to run....

chopstixx said:
I've made short work of a few cars since I have put the nitrous on:) It makes a huge difference in how the car pulls. Night and day. And from a dead stop the car just slingshots. It basically feels like I have a V8 under the hood. I want to get another car to really fix up again like I did the miata, but at the same time I want to get a little respect for the outback. I either plan on ripping the motor apart and putting forged pistons, stuff like that in it and upping the nitrous to a direct port 150 hp kit, or either pulling the motor and going with a turbo subaru motor. I'm leaning towards the motor swap because I love turbo's. And the great thing about doing a plain jane 2000 outback is that my insurance will be plain jane as well:) The insurance companies don't need to know what is under the hood. I'm making some custom parts for the outback right now at work. I plan on posting some pics of my car when I figure out how to use my new digital camera. My goal is a mid 12 high 13 second 1/4 mile outback. Going to need some serious power though. My miata was a stripped out street legal race car basically, and it only weighed 2200 with me in it. I don't think I want to know how much the outback weighs;)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Jondalar said:

Now my 3.0R could use that, it's **** fast in every respect apart from taking off from a dead stop.. Oh what fun that would be on a wet road :D
Do you have automatic? :)

With manual you just rev to 2000-3000 rpm and drop the clutch.... u'd hit max torque and AWD takescare of the rest. automatics, id' say you have to hit the brake ad rev it to 3000 rpm and then let up the brake and stomp on it.

Sure it burns the clutch + the brakes, but that's what you do if you ar egoing to race from a stop.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Yeah 3.0R Outback only comes in Auto, unlike the Libery/Legacy 3.0R Spec B with 6sp manual. I guess I am being too kind to the transmission, I read that a magazine got fast times by reving to around 2500rpm in neutral then shoving it into drive. :eek:

·
Registered
45 Posts
Jondalar said:
Yeah 3.0R Outback only comes in Auto, unlike the Libery/Legacy 3.0R Spec B with 6sp manual. I guess I am being too kind to the transmission, I read that a magazine got fast times by reving to around 2500rpm in neutral then shoving it into drive. :eek:
That's the same with manual with the clutch, except clutch cost cheaper to replace than an overhaul on teh auto tranny :)

Personally using the BRAKE + hitting gas at the same time to rev it to 2500 rpm would be better.. Sure it wears the brake, but better that than the tranny. It would wear the tranny a little but not as bad as dropping into drive from neutral.

Besides, i have found in SPORT mode, the thing shifts way better. in D, it'd shift at 5000 rpm, but in SPORT, it'd hit it until redline.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
paganini said:

That's the same with manual with the clutch, except clutch cost cheaper to replace than an overhaul on teh auto tranny :)

Personally using the BRAKE + hitting gas at the same time to rev it to 2500 rpm would be better.. Sure it wears the brake, but better that than the tranny. It would wear the tranny a little but not as bad as dropping into drive from neutral.

Actually holding the brakes doesn't wear them, they only wear when the wheels are turning.

What you end-up wearing with this technique is the your auto-tranny's torque converter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
sduford said:

Actually holding the brakes doesn't wear them, they only wear when the wheels are turning.

What you end-up wearing with this technique is the your auto-tranny's torque converter.
Hmm, so is this the same as just dropping it to drive from neutral??

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
About this Discussion
42 Replies
19 Participants
PTinVT
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing