Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Might as well ask here, it's all confusing looking for specific info on the 'net. Best I was able to do was find out most major companies have started marketing the stuff as a sort of premium clean fuel kind of thing.

Seems 'regular' gasoline with a fairly low sulfur content is all gamble and no certainty.

Reason I bring this up is due to the rotten egg smell generated from my new OBS, even after adding STP Complete Fuel System Cleaner to a fresh tank of gas and driving 100 miles in an attempt to cook the sulfur out of the catalytic convertor.

There's another thing I might as well mention here. A melted plastic smell, I'm guessing coming from the engine compartment. Pretty obvious when getting out of the car, otherwise I only smell the sulfur when stopping or backing up.

I figure I'll try each major brand of gas found around here first, then if nothing improves I'll start on the cheaper brands. My mistake was probably buying this first tank of gas at a Murphy USA at Wal-Mart. Although they seem to have been in trouble about poor quality a few years ago they apparently are refining it better now.

I still remember a news story about Texaco having the worst gas, Shell and Exxon bad too. BP or Exxon best, I think. Just can't remember. I had almost always got the cheaper stuff at a Pilot Travel Center, RaceTrac, or Murphy USA. Wasn't planning on changing that habit unless I need to.

·
Outback onsight...
'03outback, '98 forester S lifted m/t's, 4eat, lsd
1,264 Posts
sulphur/cat problems

How old is your subie ? Usually a bad catalytic converter will smell bad have it checked out. Low sulphur content is to reduce emissions.

As far as gas is concerned there is no such thing as (new )bad gas unless it's been sitting around for several years and as a mechanic I know what bad gas is . Bad(old)gas smells so bad(worse than sulphur smell) and will barely run in a vehichle .It also has a very yellow color not clear(ever check the gas sitting in the lawn mover after it's been sitting for a year).
It doesn't matter what brand of fuel you use they all have similar specs and must pass stringent EPA standards. As far as octane is concerned 92 is best and burns hotter and therefore cleaner but you pay and pay you do!!! Unless you have a turbo/supercharged or other high performance engine that requires 92 octane don't waste your money.

Plastic smell that doesn't sound good. I had a burning smell of exhaust on my '03 outback when it was new but it's gone. It might be the undercoating too ,The stuff stays tacky for along time.

·
Registered
2020 Outback LDF MSRP $37,383
102 Posts
for Scooby - not subject related.

Scooby - do you ever get close to this guy? I just got an email from him and he doesn't have a skidplate ready yet for the '05's. I'll consider one when he does get tem IF they don't look too clunky and if they don't take up MUCH clearance. Just wondered if in your travels you might check him and the product out?
PS - I tried to email you but you don't have this board setup to accept emails.

Primitive Enterprises
8425 SW Ashford St.
Tigard, OR 97224-7501
Paul Eklund:

tks, tlippy

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: sulphur/cat problems

scooby said:
How old is your subie ? Usually a bad catalytic converter will smell bad have it checked out. Low sulphur content is to reduce emissions.---8<---
Plastic smell that doesn't sound good. I had a burning smell of exhaust on my '03 outback when it was new but it's gone. It might be the undercoating too ,The stuff stays tacky for along time.
It's new, relatively speaking. Had 228 miles on it before driving it away.
Apparently had been to a different Subaru dealer in Nashville, 100 miles away or so. About works out right to have been driven there and back again. Paperwork seems to indicate it was going to be sold there and didn't.

Got it at a good price of $16,800 to drive it away, included tax, dest./dlvry., whatever else..., approx. $1700 trade-in, $1000 rebate. Their price was at $18,619 (or about $19,270 w/tax) with original MSRP total of $20,708.

The car had signs of being on the lot(s) a long time. Ordinary paper stickers showing the correct install direction for the rail crossbars were nearly weathered away. Can't figure out the manufacture date, nothing seems to say. Serial number is 804505.

I'll give it another couple weeks, and another tank of gas, before checking into it further.

Speaking of bad gas... yeah, seen the stuff make a rarely driven ATV quit running. Very yellow color. But that was within a year, sitting in a cold, then hot, barn might have accelerated the breakdown. Think that convinced my Dad he couldn't leave gas in that thing. He thought adding fuel stabilizer would fix it up after the fact. Too bad I don't get over to his place more often to ride it.

Edit: BTW, with the 2nd tank-full down to 1/3 on the gauge I'm not smelling the sulfur and melted plastic anymore. At least, not like it had been. In fact, when I backed into my driveway tonight and got out I didn't even notice it. Before, it had been impossible to ignore.

Oh yeah, today marks one week with my Subaru! Time is flying.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts