Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my commute to work in my 2003 Subaru Outback base wagon 2.5 automatic with 82k miles, this piece of metal started grinding against the road before I assume it broke off. I was driving with it for less than a mile before it broke (i was trying to find a safe place to pull over)

Any idea what it is? Im not really a gearhead. Is it just an exhaust cover or skid plate? Does it need fixed? Thank you for any info you may be able to provide

Attachments

·
Registered
'14 3.6R Outback
2,345 Posts
If I had to make a wild guess (which I must 'cause I don't have Gen3) I'd say it's an exhaust shield. Not super critical either way I'd guess, but worth checking out.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,436 Posts
It is one of the shields for the exhaust pipe. The spot welding brakes over time due to vibration and rusting. It helps control exhaust heat. That looks to be the one that goes at the collector just before the CAT. You'll know where it goes by looking under the car. You will see where the other plates are mounted and the pipe will be uncovered where that one came loose. You can take it to a muffler shop and have it retacked since it looks to be in one piece.

·
Registered
'14 Subi OBW, '18 Subi Forester
1,793 Posts
It is a small factor, but having the shields in place is one of the things that contributes to Catalytic Converter long term health and the avoidance of the dreaded P0420 Code. Your cat needs to maintain high heat in order to remain free of carbon buildup, and those shields help to keep heat in. They are especially important in the winter.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts