Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Limited with Nav, Premium Audio and Eyesight
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has Subaru released any map updates for the 2018 OB with Nav?

If I go to https://subaru-maps.com/#/auth/sign-in , I get the message "No updates for registered vehicle or no vehicle has been registered". We've made several trips recently and there are some omissions in larger metropolitan areas that should have been updated in the last two years.

If I get in my OB and connect to wifi and try to update from within the settings > navigation > map update, I get a pop up "please try again later".

Thanks
David

·
Registered
130 Posts
Has Subaru released any map updates for the 2018 OB with Nav?

If I go to https://subaru-maps.com/#/auth/sign-in , I get the message "No updates for registered vehicle or no vehicle has been registered". We've made several trips recently and there are some omissions in larger metropolitan areas that should have been updated in the last two years.

If I get in my OB and connect to wifi and try to update from within the settings > navigation > map update, I get a pop up "please try again later".

Thanks

David

No. I saw someone said maybe July or August. Even though it is TOM TOM maps it looks like only a yearly update not like their navigation systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
130 Posts

Thanks

David

Also, that is if you already downloaded the map onto a memory stick and were going to install it on the unit.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
642 Posts
When I called SOA about the update and the message try again later I was told you have to own the car for 1 year before they activate the subscription. Then when you select the update option on the radio it should give you an activation code that will register you vehicle for updates. The dealer showed me how it’s suppose to work at my last oil change in another car. And told me to call SOA. So I guess we wait.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R, Crystal White Pearl
561 Posts
When I called SOA about the update and the message try again later I was told you have to own the car for 1 year before they activate the subscription. Then when you select the update option on the radio it should give you an activation code that will register you vehicle for updates. The dealer showed me how it’s suppose to work at my last oil change in another car. And told me to call SOA. So I guess we wait.
So if I get my car at the end of the month with who knows how old of maps - I have to wait a year to update them?

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5 Limited with Nav, Premium Audio and Eyesight
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
I Think with this input I'll buy one without the map option and install an Alpine nav. That would make the Radio obsolete. But if it solves the problem ....

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
642 Posts
I Think with this input I'll buy one without the map option and install an Alpine nav. That would make the Radio obsolete. But if it solves the problem ....
I don’t know what the capabilities of the no-nav. If it has carplay or auto or starlink/aha you do not need the built in nav. I haven’t used it. We bought the touring trim so it came with it.

·
Registered
2018 Outback 2.5i Limited Eyesight - Remote Start - Auto Dimming In/Outside Mirrors
247 Posts
An Android or Apple phone solves the problem too as 2018 Limited+ models have AndroidPlay or CarPlay. With Apple in iOS 12 finally allowing third party navigation apps (Google Maps, Waze, etc) your options increase considerably.

·
Registered
Tungsten 2018 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ES
179 Posts
I don't know why they're telling you 1 year. I just bought my 2018 in January, and also got the "try again later" message on the console when trying to fetch the activation code. The PC-based update software was recently changed to allow registering by VIN instead of the activation code obtained from the head unit. I tried that, but it also didn't work for a few weeks, and then it was finally accepted.

Of course, the PC-based update now says "no map updates available for your vehicle". I contacted Subaru Customer Service, and they said it "should be" around July time-frame when the update for 2018s becomes available. I wonder how current that map will be, maybe 2017 data instead of the current 2016?

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R, Crystal White Pearl
561 Posts
If you buy it new from the dealer, yes. I bought mine in October. From the tomtom date decode I have maps from 2016.
Well that's a load of BS.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,352 Posts
I tried to update the maps on my '17 a month or so ago just before the trip I took but couldn't make it work. I would get to the point where it was supposed to do the download and I kept getting some error message (it's been a while so I don't remember exactly what it said). I tried it on a couple of different computers and couldn't make it work. Being so close to my departure date I ended up giving up on it. It still worked fairly well but couldn't find some places I searched for that my Garmin would find, and there were areas where the roads had changed that showed up a little different on the outdated maps. Some speed limits had also been changed recently so those were wrong as well. It still worked well enough for my needs that I never hooked up the Garmin, but I did have it along just in case. I do like the integrated unit because of the secondary info that comes up on the dash display and that it mutes the radio when the nav unit feels like talking to me.

·
Registered
18 Outback 3.6r Touring
642 Posts
I tried to update the maps on my '17 a month or so ago just before the trip I took but couldn't make it work. I would get to the point where it was supposed to do the download and I kept getting some error message (it's been a while so I don't remember exactly what it said). I tried it on a couple of different computers and couldn't make it work. Being so close to my departure date I ended up giving up on it. It still worked fairly well but couldn't find some places I searched for that my Garmin would find, and there were areas where the roads had changed that showed up a little different on the outdated maps. Some speed limits had also been changed recently so those were wrong as well. It still worked well enough for my needs that I never hooked up the Garmin, but I did have it along just in case. I do like the integrated unit because of the secondary info that comes up on the dash display and that it mutes the radio when the nav unit feels like talking to me.
I believe ‘17and earlier models use Naviextras and the the Subaru branded toolbox. Like my Forestor. There is always an update ever few months or so that I download on the memory card. My comlimentary subscription runs out next year. I’ll continue to use starlink or google maps via BT so it will always be up to date at no charge.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Tom Tom Update for September 2018

I just updated my 2018 Outback Starlink unit with the Tom Tom 09/27/2018 release. All went smoothly. Downloaded it to a USB flash drive and plugged it into the front USB port. Took about 15 minutes with the car in park and idling. One nice feature is now that when I long press the volume dial, it not only darkens the screen like before but actually turns the system off, so turning up the volume does not affect anything until I turn the system on again! Finally! Thank you Subaru : )

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had my 2017 OB in for 40K service and they apparently did the update to my NAV. IMHO the nav voice has suffered some kind of trauma, as it now speaks much more s-l-o-w-l-y and is not nearly as quick to calculate routes. I am looking to find a way to reset back to the prior system as this "upgrade" is anything but. Anyone else experience this?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts