Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Our 4th of July contest is live! Enter HERE for your chance to win a $400 Walmart gift card.
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2017 outback touring 3.6 for the past 11 months and the new sound insulation in the 2018 model interests me.The extra functionalities like auto lock feature [bothers me the most],directoinsa; headlights and Car play are nice to have. I was wondering if anyone had tried to trade in a 2017 model to get their hands on the 2018.If so, I would appreciate your thoughts on 2018 model and if it's worth the hassle.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I did. I'm waiting for mine to be delivered to the dealer next week

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
298 Posts
Mind sharing how much the vehicle depreciated?3.6 or 2.5

2.5 limited with eyesight, no accessories (pulled them for the new car) was traded in at 30000. The new 2.5 limited with eyesight and rear bumper protector was 32250 no dealer fee. I should mention that the car is mint condition and was professionally detailed and dealer maintained every 2000 miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 Outback Limited 2.5, Twilight Blue/Ivory, Eyesight. Also 1995 BMW 525i with 240,000 miles
2,438 Posts
I considered the trade because of the noise improvements. Most other changes, while nice, were not as important. Did not see enough differences in noise reduction to justify. Instead decided to soundproof my 2017. While still in progress, my improvements have been very helpful regarding road noise. If interested, I have a post on the process. Just search.

·
Registered
2020 OB 2.5 Limited
203 Posts
I have been trying to work the trade of my 17 2.5 Limited fully loaded 6K miles, 7 mos old. Was having a problem getting a decent trade price....I have been offered a low of 27k from one dealer to a high of $29250 from another on end of august deals. Was told the trade was lower than KBB because they still have so many 17s left on the lot to sell. I was looking to at least get 30k so as not to take on anymore loan than I have to. The best price I have been able to get for the new limited was about 33800 so I am still trying to find a deal that the numbers will work before I put any more miles on. The car is in pristine condition.

I have to say that I still prefer the looks of the 17 over the 18.....what is really drawing me is the android auto since I use it frequently and the LED headlights although while they may be much brighter I am not sure if they will be as nice as the HID as far as distance and width of the beam spread. I have not had a chance to take one out at night to see.....plus some of the other little upgrades see nice. One thing I did notice is that the density of the seat bottom is not as firm on the 18 as it is on the 17..I sort of like the firmness of the 17 as an orthopedic lower back support.....driver seat was the best part of the car..

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
552 Posts
I'm hoping to seal the deal by the end of this month. Main reasons for trade are *Lack of confidence in 2.5 engine when fully occupied or when need to pass
*Problems with 2.5 reaching CVT operating temp during cold months
*Good improvements - windshields, noise reduction, Apple/Android

As for trade in value - since it has been a year, I'm eligible for Subaru GTP. I don't see how anyone can pull $30k for 2017 2.5 Limited. maybe $28k.

What worries me is torque converter issues, more pronounced on 3.6.

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
1,016 Posts
I'm hoping to seal the deal by the end of this month. Main reasons for trade are *Lack of confidence in 2.5 engine when fully occupied or when need to pass
*Problems with 2.5 reaching CVT operating temp during cold months
*Good improvements - windshields, noise reduction, Apple/Android

As for trade in value - since it has been a year, I'm eligible for Subaru GTP. I don't see how anyone can pull $30k for 2017 2.5 Limited. maybe $28k.

What worries me is torque converter issues, more pronounced on 3.6.
I would wait(if possible) for Gen 6 or maybe the new Ascent or Forester. The SGP platform makes a big difference in NVH and overall ride and handling. My lease is up on my 16 outback in June of 19 so I will be looking at the Forester (which will be bigger than this generation) for my next choice and purchase. The Ascent is really to big for me and my wife(1 grandkid). I could also buy out the 16 which is really nice(loaded limited) for about 23k

·
Registered
17 OB Premium, White w/black
105 Posts
...I should mention that the car is mint condition and was professionally detailed and dealer maintained every 2000 miles...
Professionally detailed and dealer maintained every 2000 miles?

Care to explain that? I'm curious what each consisted of.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I bought my 2017 only a couple months ago thinking I could get a better deal on a 2017 than a 2018, although according to the Prices Paid thread, it looks like people are still landing some solid deals on the 2018 with 0% financing, some of which are close to what I paid or maybe 1-2k higher than what I paid for the same trim.

I've considered trading in but the upgrades aren't that significant to me. Noise reduction would be nice but I have since upgraded to A/T tires and a roof rack which all adds noise anyway. Also to me there seem to be a lot of threads regarding some bugs in the 2018, which may or may not be significant. And for now, I seem to like the looks of the 2017 over the 2018.

Also, 2018 doesn't have Lapis Blue Pearl

I'll wait until the 6th generation OB on the new SGP

·
Registered
2010/2016 outback
1,016 Posts
I bought my 2017 only a couple months ago thinking I could get a better deal on a 2017 than a 2018, although according to the Prices Paid thread, it looks like people are still landing some solid deals on the 2018 with 0% financing, some of which are close to what I paid or maybe 1-2k higher than what I paid for the same trim.

I've considered trading in but the upgrades aren't that significant to me. Noise reduction would be nice but I have since upgraded to A/T tires and a roof rack which all adds noise anyway. Also to me there seem to be a lot of threads regarding some bugs in the 2018, which may or may not be significant. And for now, I seem to like the looks of the 2017 over the 2018.

If the current model is the one you want wait until late 19 ,besides the WRX it will be the only model not on the new platform. Savings will be huge!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Is the noise improvement of 2018 OB over 2017 that significant. I am so used to the noise of old car (2002 OB) that the 2017 sounds fine to me.

·
Registered
2018 Dark Blue Outback 3.6R Touring arrived 8/31/2017
343 Posts

There are absolutely bugs in the 2018 Touring head unit (it's a bugfest), and it sounds like the assembly line has had issues with alignment of hoods (seems corrected on mine, or I'm lucky) and perhaps some other parts.

I would have gladly gotten Lapis Blue Pearl, ended up getting Dark Blue Pearl sight unseen (I've read it was on 2016 Imprezas, but far too much work to find it) and I've found I love the dark blue, thankfully. However, what you like is what you like, and you really need to see car paint colors in person.

The AC improvements are also worth a bit to me, due to allergies/asthma.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts