Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering, I've used it for years (though not always) and just put a fresh round on the windshield of the OB a few minutes ago .. as the sky darkens...

I use it on windshields, side windows, and headlights.

·
Super Moderator
2007 Outback H6 LL Bean - Champagne Gold Opal
6,009 Posts
I used the washer-fluid add-on type back in '00 on my old Dodge...it was great when it rained, but it made my windshield very "cloudy" and I got more damage from small stones and things than I ever had before I used the product...so I stopped using it from that point forward.

I always see it and remember how great it made the water bead away, but I can't bring myself to give it another chance.

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
I'm with 'Greeny. I have a full bottle, haven't really used it in years. I found that in the long run it's more of a hassle than useful. What I do is strip my windshield with No Touch auto glass stripper every once in a while to take all the wax, tar and crap off. I find that if I do that, the wipers work much better and longer.
I still have the original wipers on my '02 with 23k on them and they still work perfect. I keep the blades clean and strip the windshield every once in a while-no need for Rain-x. Brian

·
Superb Moderator, ,
MY12 WRX, MY07 FXT
6,186 Posts
Yeah, kinda like Rain-x:D It is in a little black bottle, you rub it into the glass good, let it haze, then hose it off/wipe. I just did it again a couple days ago. And if you have build up on the glass, it is a night and day difference. I guess it lightly polishes the glass.
I would recommend it to anyone wishing for a clear view. The brand is No Touch and it's called auto glass stripper. They also make an anti-fog product too. Brian

Here is a pic, a couple products downNo Touch auto glass stripper

·
Registered
194 Posts
I have been using a Rain-X window washer fluid in all my vehicles this winter. Seemed to work very nicely.

Now in summer I hardly use anything. When I put Zaino on the cars, I just do the windshield too. Works even better than Rain-X!

And Lizard, check your e-mail.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Done, check your PM's

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Reply sent.

·
Registered
Formerly 04 Outback 3.0R VDC, now 2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS DiD
1,617 Posts
Personally I'm a great fan of Rain-X or anything equivalent. I find if you do ALL the glass on the outside you can see much better in heavy rain, which we tend to get lots of here in summer. I also love driving down the highway in light rain with no wipers needed as the water just beads up and blows away :D I've never seen Rain-X make a windscreen cloudy...

The glass stripper sounds like the BMW glass cleaner I've been using, it most definitely has a Rain-X like component in it.

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
Jondalar said:
love driving down the highway in light rain with no wipers needed as the water just beads up and blows away
Same here. In fact, I had first started using it when my GMC wipers kept stopping due to a faulty wiper control module. I didn't need to worry about them not working with Rain'X added to the washer fluid bottle. I drove without fixing it for a couple years before I found out I could repair it myself by resoldering several points on the circuit board. 20 minutes to do the whole procedure. Fixed my Dad's GMC, too. We missed out on getting the well-known recall on those control modules but should have been included.

Only time Rain'X isn't a good thing is when vehicle speed is insufficient to keep the droplets off and nighttime because of external lights. Mostly just street lights and passing cars to one side or the other. Oh, but if wipers are working anyway... And in super heavy downpours there seems to be much less water for the blades to push around.

I've never put any on the other windows, back window of the truck never needed anything really. I think I'll follow the rest of you and try using it on all my OBS's glass, mirrors included.

Had not seen fogging, unless the defrost was on cold air. Maybe it's a climate-specific thing. Inside surface always got fogged in either rain, high humidity or cold weather; already seen same happening in the OBS, so I need to check into using a defogger too.

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
antifogged too

Update about getting Rain'X for my new OBS.

Got the washer fluid add-in and a canister of wipes with anti-fog.

It took a while to get the windshield to repel water the way I knew it worked on my old truck. Not sure if because of mixing with the original washer stuff or what. I had been using it only added to plain water before and I think it was fairly instant.

Was a different bottle this time, too, since the other had a measurer atop it and you'd just squeeze the bottle to fill it first then pour that out. I really liked that, so it's a good thing I still have a tiny bit left in that one so I'll move the new Rain'X over into that one.

I was lucky enough to be in rain immediately after I used the wipes inside and out. I should have cleaned the glass first, they left smears that I could see in the sunshine later on, but I just bought it and used right away. Still needed the defogger/defroster turned on in the midst of the heavy downpour on the freeway with A/C and blended air.

Maybe it'll be better when cleaned up then redone. It certainly wasn't as bad as I had already seen happen on warm, humid mornings/evenings.

·
Registered
'05 Outback LLBean Ed., 3.0 VDC, 17" Toyo Proxies, Brembo drilled brakes, Goodridge braided lines, Yakima rack. 1 bike: Cannondale
143 Posts
I'm a big fan/user of Rain-X myself. There is a process to using it effectively. I know we don't like to read things but it's a good 3-4 step process, and may take a couple applications to be as effective as you think it should be.
I'm not so sure about the use on headlights as one poster had, unless in winter conditions where it may assist in preventing buildup of ice or snow on your headlights... but your typical rain shouldn't "stick" per se to where treating the headlights would be of large benefit, but that's just my $0.02
I've used it in my resevoir, but I think prefer to use the cloth and ensure it sinks into the pores of the glass basically to get a good covering.
Occasionally treat with am occasional damp towel to clean any imperfections in visibility.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT Ltd 5MT Champagne
2,715 Posts

·
Gallery Ninja, ,
2004 Outback "Bluebaru" & 2005 Outback XT
5,195 Posts
In addition to an occasional Rain - X application, I have found that sometimes I have to use a minerial and hard water remover on the windshield. The subis still new enough that it has not yet been used, however in my old honda we had some wierd chemical reaction between the minerials built on the windshield and the glass cleaner I was using. Could not figure out what was going on, that is, untill we tried the the aformentioned hardwater treatment.

Thanks for all the product information guys, I will give them a try as well!

·
Registered
2006 Silver OB 2.5i MT
1,045 Posts
I swear by Rain-x, don't know why people would drive without it or something similar...if I'm driving 50+mph and it's pouring I don't need wipers at all

·
Registered
'06 Outback 3.0R Wagon
294 Posts
FastSly said:
There is another product that I find to be much better then Rain-X, it's called Aquapel. It is hard to find and expensive, but well worth it.
Tire Rack carries it: http://www.tirerack.com/accessories/aquapel/aquapel.jsp
I got a free sample of this stuff when I bought Valeo wiper blades from Tire Rack. (They're the best wiper blades I've ever used - highly recommended)
I forgot that I had it and only recently applied it to the windshield. Haven't had any rain since then to test it.
What do you find to be much better about it? Longer lasting? Ease of application? Better beading characteristics?

·
Registered
'03 OBW LTD Black/Black, '10 2.5i Premium Cypress Green
2,030 Posts
I just found my bottle of washer fluid tank Rain-X additive, I'll have to start using it.

As for wiper blades, I really like SilBlades (disclaimer: my father used to work with the guys who formed the company, and sold them the Silicone for a while until he retired), but they are quite pricey. They actually have brough the price down some, best bet is to find a retail outlet that sells them as opposed to buying direct.

·
Registered
05 Outback LL Bean atlantic blue/silver
156 Posts
I use the Rain-X product and am satisfied with it , However I did buy a bottle of the Rain-x anti fog tratment for the interior and found that it was very dificult to remove the hazing that it creates.I am still trying to clean it off.

·
Hokey Pokey Champion
'05 Gold OBXT Stg2+
3,594 Posts
My latest Rain-X endeavor is the wiper fluid additive. I just dump a few ounces in my wiper resevoir and I'm good to go. So far, it seems to work pretty well. I think I am about due for new wipers though.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts