Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Silver OB 2.5i MT
1,045 Posts
babean said:
I use the Rain-X product and am satisfied with it , However I did buy a bottle of the Rain-x anti fog tratment for the interior and found that it was very dificult to remove the hazing that it creates.I am still trying to clean it off.
yeah, the fog stuff doesn't work, I think it might make things worse!

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I definitely agree about the interior fog stuff, I used it once and greatly regretted it! Maybe it would work on eyeglasses?

·
Registered
2000 OB Limited Sedan, 2.5L, 4EAT
783 Posts
I swear by Rain-X. Put some on yesterday here when the sun was out, and guess what? Drizzle today. Hardly needed the wipers as long as I could do 30 mph or over.

I've never experienced the fogging issues that other users have described, to add another data point.

·
Registered
2002 WRX MBP
1,105 Posts
I love it. I've gotta do my "new to me" Outback when I get home. I'm on vacation now, and we brought the wife's Outback. I didn't realize she hadn't Rain-X'd her windshield in a while, and we hit snow. When she mentioned a Rain-X wipe, we stopped at a gas station, under the roof for the pumps and I applied the Rain-X while she went in for drinks or something. It made a huge improvement in visibility for the rest of the night's drive. I stopped today to buy a fresh bottle, so I could get a better coat on the windshield and do the side/rear windows as well.

I also generally use the Rain-X brand windshield washer fluid. To me, it doesn't seem to do much for an untreated windshield, but seems to help preserve the treatment on a treated windshield.

One question, I see someone mentions using it on their headlights. The bottle says not to use it on plastic, unless "Pre-approved by the manufacturer of the plastic to be treated" Anyone know if Subaru headlights are "pre-approved"....or at least if it's safe, not going to eat away the lenses or anything? I'm hoping it'll help to keep snow from building up on the lenses.

·
Registered
'03 OBW LTD Black/Black, '10 2.5i Premium Cypress Green
2,030 Posts
ivwarrior said:
One question, I see someone mentions using it on their headlights. The bottle says not to use it on plastic, unless "Pre-approved by the manufacturer of the plastic to be treated" Anyone know if Subaru headlights are "pre-approved"....or at least if it's safe, not going to eat away the lenses or anything? I'm hoping it'll help to keep snow from building up on the lenses.
I think I might have used it on one of my trucks' headlights a few years ago with no trouble. Never heard anything that officially said it was OK (or not OK) to do.

·
Registered
06 3.0R wagon, 09 WRX
1,007 Posts
I mostly use Rain X in the Winter on the side windows, as it makes it easier to get the ice off.

·
Registered
01 Outback Wagon
5 Posts
Rain-X Use

I'm a firm believer in this product. I have had excellent results using this year round. I use it probably most often during the winter as it greatly reduces the need to scrap frost off the windows.

·
Registered
05 OBXT, 02 Boxster S, 94 Miata R (for sale
156 Posts
I used to use Rain-x. Now use a product called Rainshield - spray on when it is wet or dry. Can be reapplied in the rain. Less build up than Rain-x. Just gave away a full 3 piece rain-x kit I have had in my basement for years.

·
Registered
2000 outback wagon
1 Posts
rain x rules

I live on rain x. It has taken me through storms other people are afraid of. why other people don't use it is a mystery to me.:)

·
Registered
GRP OB-XT 5MT
146 Posts
Re: rain x rules

skijunky said:
... why other people don't use it is a mystery to me.:)
Rain-X does work, but I do find it a bit of a pain to put on. I don't seem to need it on my new car--water beads and runs off as if it already had Rain-X. Older car does benefit though.

·
Registered
06 3.0R wagon, 09 WRX
1,007 Posts
I don't like RainX on the windshield.

But I use it on the side windows, especially in late fall to try and make ice easier to scrape off.

I found spray silicone to work as well or better.

·
Registered
1998 Forester S
447 Posts
I used to use rain-x, but found that every 3 washes or so (thats less than a month for me) I had to strip the windshield and reapply because it got so cloudy if there was anyone else on the road at night it was impossible to see out of. I wonder if its a climate thing since some have the problem and some dont?

·
Registered
'03 OBW LTD Black/Black, '10 2.5i Premium Cypress Green
2,030 Posts
skyphix said:
I used to use rain-x, but found that every 3 washes or so (thats less than a month for me) I had to strip the windshield and reapply because it got so cloudy if there was anyone else on the road at night it was impossible to see out of. I wonder if its a climate thing since some have the problem and some dont?
I used the Rain-X washer fluid additive when I lived in Syracuse (not terribly different climate from where you are) and didn't have that problem. Didn't wash that frequently though.

·
Registered
1998 Forester S
447 Posts
When I used th washer fluid additive, I found that it occured faster than with the wipe on wax type stuff.

It may very well have been the car, and as I may have mentioned before, my highway driving has a way of caking very hard to remove crap on the car.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts