Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Batteries seem to last by time more than miles. Fewer miles over the same time will be prone to an earlier failure.
Batteries that go into discharge will fail faster than the same battery that does not see "discharge" Keep your battery charged to maintain a longer life.
Battery lifetime varies by brand. I had an Interstate test out bad at 2 yrs 2-3 months and at the sametime I had a Kirtland going strong a few months short of 7 years old. Both batteries were purchased at Costco years apart; the counter person agreed that Interstate was having more returns than the old Kirkland brand.
Buy a battery at Costco and you will be returning it early; the best part is that there will be no questions asked when it is under the 3 yr warranty. You will be installing you battery if it came from Costco.
Buy a battery at Walmart/Sam's and it should last longer and they will test and install the batteries. I am currently committed to Costco battery for my other vehicle.
My 7 yr battery was purchased with more amps from a different group. I found higher amp batteries do not discharge as easily which I contribute to longer battery life.
So in conclusion, get a battery with a higher amperage and good reviews.

·
Registered
2016 Subaru Outback 2.5i Touring
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
So i was at Costco today and looked at the batteries section;
The size 24 (not 24F) is slightly longer but have reversed poles compared to the 25 ????

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited w/ES
2,768 Posts
The size 24 (not 24F) is slightly longer but have reversed poles compared to the 25 ????
No, check again, Group 24F (which tends to be easier to find in stores) has the terminals reversed relative to the stock Group 25. Group 24 is a little over 1 inch longer, but otherwise the same size.

·
Registered
345 Posts
These are bottom 25, and top is 34
About 2 inches wider, will it fit in my tray? View attachment 479416
Suggest you use a tape measure to check your tray dimensions and estimate the extra height just in case. My Toyotas trays all had extra length, >1", and flexible tray lip allowing overhang. Battery dimensions, by group, are easily found on line. Don't forget to compare the height and terminal locations. Battery trays can be found on eBay.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,722 Posts
These are bottom 25, and top is 34
About 2 inches wider, will it fit in my tray?
The OE battery is BCI Group 25. Group 24 (NOT 24F) and Group 34 (NOT 34R) are both drop-in replacements that a lot of people (including me) have used. Group 24 is the same height as Group 25, but Group 34 is 22 mm (7/8 inch) shorter. Many Group 34s come with a snap-on 22 mm spacer to match the Group 24 or 25 height..

·
Registered
345 Posts
That's the size 24 (not 24F) they have
View attachment 479414
Where did you find the Kirkland brand? Our Costcos stopped this brand and went to Interstate brand. My first Interstate was bad after about 2 years and the Costco auto counter said they were getting more returns than when they had Kirkland. Just want to know where they are selling Kirkland Batteries today.

"Costco's Kirkland car batteries were once the darling of experts and car owners -- the best bargain battery around, boasting a super-long life and an equally super warranty. Unfortunately, Costco has quit selling them. The stores now offer Interstate brand batteries in their place.Sep 28, 2017 "

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Where did you find the Kirkland brand? Our Costcos stopped this brand and went to Interstate brand. My first Interstate was bad after about 2 years and the Costco auto counter said they were getting more returns than when they had Kirkland. Just want to know where they are selling Kirkland Batteries today.

"Costco's Kirkland car batteries were once the darling of experts and car owners -- the best bargain battery around, boasting a super-long life and an equally super warranty. Unfortunately, Costco has quit selling them. The stores now offer Interstate brand batteries in their place.Sep 28, 2017 "
I'm from Nova Scotia, Canada.

I've seen Kirkland batteries in every Costco store I've been to all over Canada

·
Registered
2015 Outback 3.6R Package 23
1,619 Posts
We live in central Maine and got 8 1/2 years 110,000 miles out of the original battery in our '11 OB.
Unless you knock the battery completely flat a few times, that's normal cool climate battery life. If you live somewhere molten like Phoenix or Vegas, 3 years is a miracle.

I've knocked the battery dead a couple times on my 2015 3.6 + NAV. I left a map light on once for a couple of days and I had the rear dome light on for a couple of days. There were a few things the car forgot where I had to reprogram them but it wasn't a big deal. The one I remember is the EyeSight setting to stop it beeping when it acquires a car in front of you while cruise control is enabled.

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'm from Nova Scotia, Canada.

I've seen Kirkland batteries in every Costco store I've been to all over Canada
Wow, wish we still had the Kirkland. Purchased my last one in 2013 and it went with the car I just sold.
My advice is to check the fluid levels and top with pure water when needed. Also charge batteries that have not been run for a week.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 2.5
575 Posts
t will fit - I've never come across any reports of it not fitting.
[/QUOTE][
QUOTE="AvidHiker, post: 5942550, member: 227209"]

I replaced mine with a 34 but had to remove the heat shield so that it would fit.

·
Registered
2011 outback 3.6R LT. 2015 Outback 2.5 (white) eyesight, tow pakage, skid plate, moon roof
393 Posts
so my 2016 Outback (around 90,000km = 55k Miles) battery is getting old and weak, i'm noticing specially in colder days below -15 C (below 5 F) that it hesitates a bit to starts, or if parked for couple of days. Question is:
1/ do i need to take any precaution steps before/while changing the battery so the car doesn't throw any codes or confuse the computer, ...etc. ?
2/ do i really have to go with a Subaru battery from the dealer or any other brand will do? my only worry is sometimes i have to leave my car parked in the winter for a week or two or more due to work ( #ArmyLife ), any preferred battery type or brand that won't die out if left in the cold parked for couple of weeks?

Thanks a bunch
so my 2016 Outback (around 90,000km = 55k Miles) battery is getting old and weak, i'm noticing specially in colder days below -15 C (below 5 F) that it hesitates a bit to starts, or if parked for couple of days. Question is:
1/ do i need to take any precaution steps before/while changing the battery so the car doesn't throw any codes or confuse the computer, ...etc. ?
2/ do i really have to go with a Subaru battery from the dealer or any other brand will do? my only worry is sometimes i have to leave my car parked in the winter for a week or two or more due to work ( #ArmyLife ), any preferred battery type or brand that won't die out if left in the cold parked for couple of weeks?

Thanks a bunch
Any battery is better than a Subaru Battery. If it fits in the tray be sure the polarity is correct. I had 2 subaru battery failures in 50 K. I put a yellow top in . No problems. Had to reprogam drivers window was all.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
3,530 Posts

That's the size 24 (not 24F) they have
View attachment 479414
Just to muddy up the battery size issue a little more, that is not a Group 24 battery in the picture. It is an Group H6. The "24" appears to be a fitment code, whatever that means. I don't know if the fitment code is a Costco thing or a Kirkland thing or a Canadian thing, but it seems to be different than the standard battery group sizing. A quick search didn't tell me much but this picture this is from a Kirkland Battery Fitment Guide. It shows for sure that the Group Size and Fitment Code are two completely different numbers.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I did end up buying the size 34 battery which fit right in no problem.
Surprisingly the 34 (higher capacity and cranking amps) was cheaper than the 25. ?

·
Registered
2016 Outback Premium 2.5 CVT w/EyeSight+SRVD
6,722 Posts
Surprisingly the 34 ... was cheaper than the 25.
Probably because Group 34 is a lot more common, used in more vehicles over many years. It would be interesting to see relative production volume information for Groups 24, 25, and 34.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts