Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback, (Base)
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any reason to worry about "personal lease" in Carfax history when buying used?

Dealership has a coupe of these 2014 and 2013 available. Carfax report says the Type of Owner was "Personal lease". I'm wondering if there's any reason that should be a red or yellow flag.
E.g.:
Used 2014 Subaru Outback Valley Stream NY, near Manhattan | VIN: 4S4BRBAC2E3279309

and

http://www.gregorissubaru.com/used/Subaru/2013-Subaru-Outback-for-sale-Valley-Stream-NY-1f59714a0a0e0a1725c5dc92c3706768.htm?searchDepth=2:2

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
Fresh Out of Outbacks!
14,495 Posts
These are cars that went out for a 36 or 39 month lease and have now come back in.

Lease cars are often well cared for. Sometimes the maintenance cost is built in, so there's no reason for the original lessee to have skipped it. As always, check it out and look closely.

I wouldn't hold a personal lease history against any of them, because some of the cleanest and least-beaten used cars come from lease returns.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,627 Posts
Would you worry about my leased 2018 Outback when I trade it in during calendar year 2020 should nothing be wrong with it?

·
Registered
2001 Outback, (Base)
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm just new to the used care dealer world and wanted to make sure this wasn't something more than what it seems, or exactly what you describe, Kevin.
Thanks!

·
Registered
2013 3.6R Limited
1,138 Posts
I purchased our 2005 Jaguar S-Type sedan in December 2008. It was a 3-year corporate-leased vehicle in the Miami area with only 18,000 miles on the odometer so the guy obviously spent more time on airplanes than he did in cars. It was essentially spotless and had been well-serviced under Jaguar's 4-year / 40,000-mile complementary maintenance plan. Due to the severe economic depression at that time, I managed to purchase the vehicle for about one-third of its original MSRP. I know it is unlikely that I will ever be able to negotiate a better auto acquisition deal again.

We still own the car, it has been my daily driver since my wife got her 2006 Jaguar XK8 convertible in February 2012 and subsequently passed the S-Type on to me, and it now has 102,400 miles (with typical DIY maintenance performed by me) and is still going strong.

As always, perform your due diligence before deciding whether or not to pull the trigger. A full set of service records on any used vehicle you are considering is worth its weight in gold.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts