Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Outback, (Base)
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I've seen quite a bit of bad news about Bill Kolb dealer in Orangeburg NY. But almost all of the posts are from before 2010.
Does anybody have any recent experience there?
Is it possible for a dealership to improve from such a bad reputation?
Thanks.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
26,951 Posts
Bill Kolb,...that place the reskins cloth seat cars with local custom leather, and dumps the factory subaru radio for something presumably better
. (or as they call it= Elite sedans, and Estate wagons)

I can't remember anyone from rockland county on here with many posts.

@Glen1959 might have a opinion, or know something as I think he has bought from west of hudson dealers and in north jersey.

other places to skip for service: Kingston, Middletown. (I would flatbed a subaru to a chrysler dealer before those).

edit: and @C973 bought new, and carefully in north jersey recently (you might look back into her posts and see if she stated where).

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
737 Posts
I've shopped Bill Kolb, liked the sales model and salesman knew the product back in 8/2015. I was not impressed with their sales price and they were pushing a lease, that car was for my 78 year old Mother that drives 3k or so a year. Bought her car at Hudson Subaru in Jersey City ( I had connection with that dealer and was able to order her car with a phone call at a fair price extended 7/70 SAS at their cost. When I decided to check into trading my 2010 I shopped the net and sent emails re; 2016's on the lot while 2017's were also on the lot and scored a very good deal at Ramsey Subaru basically bout in via emails and call got a fair deal on my trade before they had sean it they actually upped the offer. The trade was in great shape and I had done all the service a month before myself, brakes all fluids etc.

eagleye;
I have to say I have had 2 very good experiences at Johnstons in the last 2 months. First was getting a seatbelt ordered and replaced under warranty for a 2002 Forester I picked up for my Son and drove to Orlando to drop it off (only had 68k on it one owner with all service recpts) the other getting a tire replaced on my 2016 14k under SAS gold. No questions and done quickly.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,951 Posts
I've shopped Bill Kolb, liked the sales model and salesman knew the product back in 8/2015. I was not impressed with their sales price and they were pushing a lease, that car was for my 78 year old Mother that drives 3k or so a year. Bought her car at Hudson Subaru in Jersey City ( I had connection with that dealer and was able to order her car with a phone call at a fair price extended 7/70 SAS at their cost. When I decided to check into trading my 2010 I shopped the net and sent emails re; 2016's on the lot while 2017's were also on the lot and scored a very good deal at Ramsey Subaru basically bout in via emails and call got a fair deal on my trade before they had sean it they actually upped the offer. The trade was in great shape and I had done all the service a month before myself, brakes all fluids etc.

eagleye;
I have to say I have had 2 very good experiences at Johnstons in the last 2 months. First was getting a seatbelt ordered and replaced under warranty for a 2002 Forester I picked up for my Son and drove to Orlando to drop it off (only had 68k on it one owner with all service recpts) the other getting a tire replaced on my 2016 14k under SAS gold. No questions and done quickly.

maybe they fired a whole bunch of them at johnstons, but would have had to fire people at both the subaru and the toyota dealer to convince me they are not just a pack of pick pockets behind a service counter.

·
Registered
2016 Outback Ltd 2.5 eyesight Nav push button Hole in roof, Lapis Blue
737 Posts
Eagleeye, re; Johnstons
Perhaps my experiences with them has to do with knowing what I expect them to do, knowing how to explain it and what they are responsible to perform. I've been handling customer service issues for my customers as a tech for 40 years. With regard to my tire issue the ware was very close to having all 4 replaced a bit less than 2/32 worn they stated I could just buy 1 tire ( I reminded them of the SAS coverage) I left called SOA and they said based on what Johnstons recommended 1 tire would be fine so I returned and they covered it 100%. Two days latter I received a gift from SOA unannounced a Yeti cooler was sitting on my door step.

I believe it all revolved around attitude and respect on both sides. Got to say I love this company.

Johnstons has a deal till months end prepay $99 and get 3 oil changes (syn included) with rotations good for 1 year, since I'm having a knee replaced next week I do think I'll take them up on that as it may be some time before I'm up to doing it myself and between oil and filters I can't loose.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
26,951 Posts
Eagleeye, re; Johnstons
Perhaps my experiences with them has to do with knowing what I expect them to do, knowing how to explain it and what they are responsible to perform. I've been handling customer service issues for my customers as a tech for 40 years. With regard to my tire issue the ware was very close to having all 4 replaced a bit less than 2/32 worn they stated I could just buy 1 tire ( I reminded them of the SAS coverage) I left called SOA and they said based on what Johnstons recommended 1 tire would be fine so I returned and they covered it 100%. Two days latter I received a gift from SOA unannounced a Yeti cooler was sitting on my door step.

I believe it all revolved around attitude and respect on both sides. Got to say I love this company.

Johnstons has a deal till months end prepay $99 and get 3 oil changes (syn included) with rotations good for 1 year, since I'm having a knee replaced next week I do think I'll take them up on that as it may be some time before I'm up to doing it myself and between oil and filters I can't loose.

I took the car in there to get a alignment $80 with a coupon, (feders that year), I sit in the new cars,

they put the car up on the rack, showed me they could not align the car as it had too much rust on a few hundred of parts in the back of the car, no bill. printout of list of parts,

I take it home, take it to my own mechanic, get a list the same parts and a few others, buy the parts new and cheaper from the dealer on line in CT, install the parts locally,

I get another $80 coupon for alignment. my car is running OK, had not been really using it since the parts were put on, and I knew it needed an alignment after those parts were put on.

johnstons label is outside now, the rack has moved down to the toyota dealer, so the subaru shop could have one more bay at the time, (this was pre-expansion).

I drop the car as they request, they give me a impreza which I use for a couple hours while they take my car down to the toyota dealer with the rack, and a couple hours later they hand me the same crap about not being able to align the car as the parts on the back of the car are too rusty and they print up a list of the parts that I already installed.

so a $80 coupon for a alignment is a reason to up-sell parts,...even if they are brand new. and I asked one of the people behind the counter to look at the nice new parts under the car and he did. I was polite.

I took my car home and had it aligned at a local shop for $100.

that was a few years back,

this year I reported it to SOA, when I was calling them about another car,
(I had never ever called the corp office before for anything). Corp office could see that I bought the parts for my Vin # from the dealer in CT.

but hey its your nickle,...and I am happy anyone that is currently working there has not done anything wrong by you.
(except that oil plug gasket issue from a few years back).

·
Registered
2001 Outback LL Bean and 2016 Outback 3.6R Wilderness Green
82 Posts
I bought my Outback from Steve Moyer in PA. I was considering Ciocca, also in PA. But when I asked Ciocca for the best price, it was higher than Steve Moyer's. Then, when I said I got a better offer, Ciocca said they will match it. No thanks. I went with Steve Moyer. Everything was done via email.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts