Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone! I'm new to the Subaru world. I purchased a 2015 Outback 3.6R with 88,000 miles about 2 months ago and have been loving it ever since! In the next few days, I want to change the oil but I need some recommendations on what type of oil and brand would be best for my car. I bought the Subaru OEM oil filters so I'm set on that, but I need advice on the oil. Any information would be greatly appreciated! (y)

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,287 Posts
Any brand name synthetic would be fine. Try to stay away from oils which are KNOWN to vaporize (off gas) more than others. (like MOBIL1)

Obviously, oil which tends to have more vapors forces the PCV system to suck the vapors through the intake manifold. This is a KNOWN source of carbon build-up on the intake valves in Direct-Injection engines.

·
I simply cannot abide useless people.
2006 2.5i and 2002 3.0 wagons.
12,306 Posts
No such thing as a "best oil".

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
5,182 Posts
Best oil to me is what is the highest quality product I can get for the lowest end cost. Recently I have been buying Shell Rotella Gas Truck oil and my 2018 Outback loves it. It's around $22 for a five quart jug at Walmart, Amazon, Menards, etc and has a $10 rebate through the end of 2019.

·
Registered
2005 Outback Wagon 3.0 L.L. Bean
840 Posts
Do use an upgraded filter for the extended length synthetic oil change intervals. The oil brand isn't too much of a difference. All oils start off using base stock which comprises the bulk of the product. Brands differ manly by the additives. (anti foaming etc...) Base stock comparisons

Don't forget the new crush washer for the drain plug

·
Registered
4 Posts
As far as oils, if you have a Rural King they have 5-qt jugs of "Harvest King" full synthetic oil (made for them by the same company that makes most house-brand synthetic oils, including Walmart and Amazon) for $13.99 (an amazing deal). Sometimes they run it on sale too (I have bought for $11.99 before). It is fine synthetic oil and meets or exceeds all the typical standards as well. I have never had a problem with it, nor has my brother that routinely use it with his Toyotas. Until recently I was putting a ton of miles on my vehicles as well. They have the filters there too, but I really like the Wix. I buy the premium Wix filters online for the best price.

·
Registered
2020 OB Limited, Titanium & Magnetite Grays
743 Posts
Any brand name synthetic would be fine. Try to stay away from oils which are KNOWN to vaporize (off gas) more than others. (like MOBIL1)

Obviously, oil which tends to have more vapors forces the PCV system to suck the vapors through the intake manifold. This is a KNOWN source of carbon build-up on the intake valves in Direct-Injection engines.
Please provide your source that suggests there is a problem with Mobil 1 oil outgassing more than other oils. Thanks in advance for your response.

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,701 Posts
Maybe he's thinking of NOACK loss but that's more of indicator of oil composition makeup than a performance deficiency.

Redline oils have values of 6% because of sythentic oil basestocks but any oil that has a value of 10% or less is a non-factor.

Reactions: ArF193
1 - 10 of 10 Posts