Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
@GokuOutback2012 Whats the fitment like? Looks like it overhangs the climate control?
Yes the fitment overhangs a little at the bottom I haven't had a chance to work on it, but it doesn't bother me. overall I'm very happy with the unit, its not a prefect unit it has it's minor glitches here and there a simple reboot should fix it and rarely comes back.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'd love some pics of folks that did this with the factory navigation/Harmon Kardon set up and details. I'm looking at a kenwood double din with a non HK bezel to make it fit the dash.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'd love some pics of folks that did this with the factory navigation/Harmon Kardon set up and details. I'm looking at a kenwood double din with a non HK bezel to make it fit the dash.

Put a Kenwood DMX 7706s in a couple weeks ago and am very happy with it... though I wish it had an actual volume knob but not even close to being a deal breaker... really nice

·
Registered
15 Posts
Pics are sketchy because my Iphone takes horrible pics, sorry.

The "bezel" or stereo surround is also available in silver I believe, I prefer the black myself, which is what I ordered
Awesome. Where did you get it? Do you have the HK system? Of so, where did you get the middle compartment? How are the steering wheel controls?

·
Registered
29 Posts
I bought it at Best Buy ($320)

No Harman Kardon, I had the basic audio setup for the 2014, just the little 4" LCD screen, no navigation
The little middle compartment was always there, it's factory

I've not hooked up the Stereo Controls yet, I'll let Best Buy do it, I bought the radio a while ago and the soonest install appointment they gave me was March 19th.
I installed it myself as I wasn't willing to wait, but I kept the appointment anyway, I discovered the steering wheel control adaptor (Maestro SW) was more than I wanted to get into so i'll let best Buy deal with it (i've already paid them the extra $60 they charge for SWC's on top of their "free" install)

If I had to do it over again I'd have simply used a local shop small shop or ordered from Crutchfield, and planned from the start to install it myself as it was actually really not that complicated at all (except the SWC's)

If you do it yourself pull the factory unit FIRST and look at all the connectors and harnesses you will need, that's the best way to figure out what you will need, Best Buy sold me the wrong harness that I didn't even need.. yes I typed that correctly

They also sold me the wrong antenna adaptor

I researched a lot of head units (I wanted Apple CarPlay) and went with this one because it's a 2019 model, some others online look fine (sony, Pioneer etc...) and were less $$$ but were older models, my impression (I could be mistaken) was that some weren't going to support Waze and Google Maps in Carplay, the Kenwood does

Sorry for the rambling response hope it was helpful

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, '08 Volvo V70
19 Posts
I installed a used Pioneer AVH1300NEX in my DIL's 2011 Outback and I used the silver Metra dash kit. I agree that the small ledge at the bottom is very useful to steady your hand while you push the buttons on the HU. And my experience with the Metra/Axxess ASWC1 has been flawless; that little device will detect the SWC in your car and program itself with the touch of a button. It's extremely well made. I also bought it used on ebay. (Pioneer HU, $80, Axxess ASWC1, $30)

I added a $20 backup camera but kept the OEM speakers. She's very happy with the result and added that the backup camera will be a huge help when connecting their pop-up camper.

Attachments

·
Registered
29 Posts
I installed a used Pioneer AVH1300NEX in my DIL's 2011 Outback and I used the silver Metra dash kit. I agree that the small ledge at the bottom is very useful to steady your hand while you push the buttons on the HU. And my experience with the Metra/Axxess ASWC1 has been flawless; that little device will detect the SWC in your car and program itself with the touch of a button. It's extremely well made. I also bought it used on ebay. (Pioneer HU, $80, Axxess ASWC1, $30)

I added a $20 backup camera but kept the OEM speakers. She's very happy with the result and added that the backup camera will be a huge help when connecting their pop-up camper.

Looks good... you got a great seal on that stuff used!

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 premium
90 Posts
pretty much the same as Bill above, but different Pioneer model. Here's the install thread - if you want pics, just ask

21 - 35 of 35 Posts