Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
05 OB XT 5EAT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The stock turbo in my 05 OBXT blew and I just replaced it with a GSP 16G turbo and 3" cattless up pipe. I bought a Cobb AP and am going to get a tune, but before I do, I want to get new plugs and maybe wires if it'll help. For stage 1 boost levels, what spark plugs should I get?

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
From what I've seen, people are using the stock plugs or possibly going one notch colder.

I'd probably skip the platinum/iridium premium plugs- the reason for using them is to go longer between changes, but on a tuned machine you'll probably want to change more often anyway.

The XT is a coil-on-plug design, so you "never" need to change wires- but occasionally you'll need a new coil pack. I say replace as needed and not before.

Disclaimer: mine is on stock tune and stock plugs, just sharing my research.

·
Registered
05 OB XT 5EAT
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep researching and see what other people are doing and if that's the general consensus.

·
Registered
2005 OBXT 5MT
183 Posts
stock plugs. no need to bother with anything else. NGK "SILFR6A", you can order them on amazon. They come pre-gapped, but no harm in checking them pre-install.

·
Registered
22,802 Posts
From what I've seen, people are using the stock plugs or possibly going one notch colder.

I'd probably skip the platinum/iridium premium plugs- the reason for using them is to go longer between changes, but on a tuned machine you'll probably want to change more often anyway.

The XT is a coil-on-plug design, so you "never" need to change wires- but occasionally you'll need a new coil pack. I say replace as needed and not before.

Disclaimer: mine is on stock tune and stock plugs, just sharing my research.
^ he's got it backwards
Wires you replace after a while they start to break down and cause shorts however if kept clean no oil splashed on them etc they may last you 100+K. Go with high quality OEM or same wires not your parts store junk subarus are picky about plugs and wires. Plugs are NGK only use NGK other brands are known for causing lots of issues with our picky subarus.

A coil should last the life of the car unless its built by VW which case you might go through 10 or 15 of them before a class action lawsuit forces VW to stop using cheap crap in their cars. ;-) yep on our 3rd set of coil's one per spark plug on our 1.8T- VW was sued by the State of CA and a few other states and forced to replace them. Though not before most people had replaced them at least once.

·
Registered
Somebody Else's XT
14,437 Posts
^ he's got it backwards
Wires you replace after a while they start to break down and cause shorts however if kept clean no oil splashed on them etc they may last you 100+K. Go with high quality OEM or same wires not your parts store junk subarus are picky about plugs and wires. Plugs are NGK only use NGK other brands are known for causing lots of issues with our picky subarus.

A coil should last the life of the car unless its built by VW which case you might go through 10 or 15 of them before a class action lawsuit forces VW to stop using cheap crap in their cars. ;-) yep on our 3rd set of coil's one per spark plug on our 1.8T- VW was sued by the State of CA and a few other states and forced to replace them. Though not before most people had replaced them at least once.
I think you're thinking of the old high-tension wires, in which case I'd agree wholeheartedly. The new low-voltage ones with the coil-on-plug setup aren't nearly as sensitive to age, heat & oil contamination.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts