Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2005 2.5i Limited 5MT California & 2016 base 2.5i
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Family has a 2010 Tribeca just out of 7 year warranty they are willing to sell us . I think it's probably 90k or 95k or 100k miles.

We wouldn't mind more seating (i.e. another kid on the way). I don't know much about year to year or overall quirks of the Tribeca. Anything to avoid in particular?

If we got the Tribeca, we'd probably sell the 2016 and the Tribeca would be our primary vehicle.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,383 Posts
(doh - removed erroneous TB comment)

some people say the space inside them is not laid-out well so, maybe test fit your family and really consider the space?

·
Registered
Lawn ornament XT
14,366 Posts
Tribecas don't need timing belts. They all had either the EZ30 or EZ36 engine, both of which use permanent chains for valve timing.

Note that old Tribecas with the EZ30 engine have a thirst for premium gasoline. The later EZ36-powered models run fine on plain 87. I think they switched in 2008 along with the facelift, but doublecheck me on that.

About all I can add is that the Tribeca was a market failure because although bigger than the Outback, it wasn't bigger-enough. It seems like nobody really enjoyed it in 3-row form. Note it was also sold with only 2 rows of seats in some years/trims.

The body and interior are fairly unique but nearly everything mechanical was borrowed from the Legacy or Outback parts bins, which is good for future maintenance & repair.

cars101.com will have all the dirty details on year-by-year changes.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,387 Posts
Works fine for us, we have three small children and it's convenient for taking another person or two on trips with us. The rear seat is only usable for small people and results in limited cargo room, it is split so you can just use one at a time.

Great engines: that often reliably make 250,000 miles with just these few items:
Replace oil cooler gasket, valve cover gaskets and spark plugs, serpentine belt, and PCV valve around 100-120k (basically just once or twice in the life of the vehicle - I usually just do them all at once and then I'm done)

Then you just have oil change, air filter and new serpentine pulley bearings every 60k ($20 in parts, half hour labor, super easy)

They are about the smallest 7 passenger you can get, and handle and use gas like a big vehicle, so take note.

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 Pair: 3.0 VDC Wag & 2.5 Limited Sedan
25,963 Posts
how many kids are we talking?

I think a growing family could get more use out of a honda or a toyota minivan
with a set of 4 snows on rims for it.

such are just plain bigger. (more space for everyone, and their daily dose of luggage / groceries)

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,384 Posts
You're talking about a vehicle where the age (7 years) and mileage (100k) wil cause it to start needing some more intensive maintenance.. Plus, there's always the chance that it might need some body work from minor fender scrapes.

This is a one off, low production volume, limited production year model. The items that cross over to the same p/n for a Legacy or Outback will be OK - e.g. engine, transmission, transfer cases, etc. The other stuff may be harder to procure.

Keep that in mind. Also, check with your insurance agent about cost of coverage.

·
Registered
2005 2.5i Limited 5MT California & 2016 base 2.5i
701 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3 kids now, they are all young. 0 (coming soon), 2.5, 6.5 and of course the dog.

I think the body is pretty good on the Tribeca. They have taken good care of it and it was under the factory warranty which is nice because I imagine if there were problems they just had them fixed.

Yeah starting at 100k can be a rough time for a car, especially in Vermont where they get beat on pretty hard. I've been through the gamut of brakes, bearings, suspension, exhaust parts on my 2005.

We could also get those skinny car seats that fit 3 in a row (well 2 seats and 1 booster) and keep the 2016 Outback , I'm not super psyched about getting rid of it because we're happy with it so far. It drives nicely and does well on gas.

Good point about insurance. It's disappointingly just barely cheaper than my 2016 Outback which is worth quite a bit more money. For a car worth $10k versus $20k I would have expected a little bigger drop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts