Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
Bought a 2018 Outback Limited 2.5i 50th Anniversary Special Edition, 2/17/2018
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have logged every mile driven and gallon used, earlier in xls, nowadays in RoadTrip app (which I then download into xls). It is interesting to see how accurate the car's mpg computer is vs real-world (actual).

My 2 B5.5 Passats ('01.5 & '05), were usually within 1-2%, pretty good (car optimistic). My 2003 BMW 530i was ~7-8% optimistic over 100K miles. Now with my new OB 2.5, I only have 2-3 tanks under my belt, but can already see that it is about 5% optimistic. I have always thought it would not be difficult for the manufacturer to enable some method of entering a calibration factor to make the readings closer to real-world. Whether that is user adjustable or only by an authorized service center/tech. Don't care. There must be a way to program that into the car?

Does anyone know if there are any factory-authorized or after-market tools/procedures to do this?

Thanks in advance for any insights!

·
Registered
2012 OB , 2017 Impreza
3,293 Posts
If the 2018 is anything like the GEN4 outback, the answer is YES!

Put into "dealer mode" and one can apply a 'fudge factor' to the MPG calculator or the outside temperature reading.

I would suggest you use the SEARCH function to get more details regarding "dealer mode"

===Copy from previous posting regarding "dealer mode"============
Go fast...ignition on
turn headlights on
hit trip meter 5 times
headlights off
hit trip meter 5 times
headlights on
hit trip meter 5 times

Now you can adjust the MPG reading on the first option screen. Default is zero I set mine to -2 and its much closer.
===============================

In a related subject.... out of all the vehicles I have owned, SUBARU has the most 'easter eggs' (surprising ways to change options). As an example, the annoying seatbelt chime can be silenced. The lock/unlock beep can be silenced. There is a special 'diagnostic connector' under the dashboard to test all kinds of things..... etc

·
Registered
2018 Outback
52 Posts
SUBARU has the most 'easter eggs' (surprising ways to change options). As an example, the annoying seatbelt chime can be silenced. The lock/unlock beep can be silenced. There is a special 'diagnostic connector' under the dashboard to test all kinds of things..... etc
Do you have a list you can share?

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Premium Lapis Blue
4,275 Posts
In a related subject.... out of all the vehicles I have owned, SUBARU has the most 'easter eggs' (surprising ways to change options). As an example, the annoying seatbelt chime can be silenced. The lock/unlock beep can be silenced. There is a special 'diagnostic connector' under the dashboard to test all kinds of things..... etc
The one I liked the most so far is the setting so the rear wiper comes on when the car is put in reverse, even if the rear wiper switch is in the off position. I had the dealer turn this setting on a while back.

It is a neat idea that isn't all that useful in reality. Unfortunately it only works when the front wipers are on the continuous setting, which I rarely use. If the fronts are on intermittent the reverse interlock doesn't activate. A good idea that fell short of awesome.

Even without this feature turned on, if you have the rear wiper on intermittent it will switch to continuous when you put the car in reverse.

·
Registered
89 Posts
If the 2018 is anything like the GEN4 outback, the answer is YES!

Put into "dealer mode" and one can apply a 'fudge factor' to the MPG calculator or the outside temperature reading.

I would suggest you use the SEARCH function to get more details regarding "dealer mode"

===Copy from previous posting regarding "dealer mode"============
Go fast...ignition on
turn headlights on
hit trip meter 5 times
headlights off
hit trip meter 5 times
headlights on
hit trip meter 5 times

Now you can adjust the MPG reading on the first option screen. Default is zero I set mine to -2 and its much closer.
===============================

Really? I have followed the steps but I don’t see anything like it.

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2016 Tungsten Outback 2.5l Premium w/ES, OP 14, PP #4
501 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Subaru Outback Touring 2.5
49 Posts
So is it possible on 2018 models? I know it is possible in 2017. But someone said that in 2018 not possible anymore...

·
Registered
89 Posts
It is possible on 2018. The dealer did it last week. he adjust it by 8%. I will validate this after a few fuel up, but it looks now more realistic.

·
Registered
Outback 2018 2.5i Premium
168 Posts
Hint of a future "fix" for combo meter MPG readout ?

I took my 2018 2.5i in for service today because of head unit problems. I also asked if they would adjust the MPG on the combo meter down about 4%. I handed him a copy of the "user customizing" service manual page from here in this forum. He wasn't sure the technician had ever done it but said they would give it a try. A couple of hours later they had the updates taken care of but did not adjust the combo meter at this time. Service man explained to me that the Technician did look at it and decided to call Subaru for assistance. Subaru advised him to post-pone that adjustment (for now at least). Per the service write up (8-8-18).

-----Called Tech and was advised don't change anything due to combination meter run more than fuel efficiency and would mess something else up. Tech is aware of problem and hope to have bulletin out in a few weeks to fix problem.------

I could take this two ways... 1] Subaru would make it safer to adjust the meter MPG. 2] Subaru would make the MPG readout be more accurate without an adjustment.

At any rate, this wasn't a big deal for me but would be nice to see the mpg more accurate. Wait and see?

Just thought I'd pass this on.

·
Registered
'18 OB 2.5 Ltd, No Eyesight, No Nav
2,852 Posts
I had the dealer recalibrate the average fuel economy readout by -4%. The was not a DIY way in Gen 5 vehicles.... read thru this discussion for details: https://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/138-gen-5-2015-present/358450-gen-5-adjust-mpg-s.html
Be prepared to "educate" the service writer. Mine argued they could not do it.

Yep, the dealer lectured me today. I could tell he did not even understand what I was talking about, but he thought he was schooling me. I just left without getting it done. I did not feel the debate was worth my time. This is one example of why I avoid going into the dealer at all. I was in there for recalls.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts