Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited w/ EyeSight
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the auto dimming mirror with the home link garage door buttons on my 2013. Is there any way to disable to auto dim feature, or at least default this feature to off? I find myself pressing the button every time I drive the Outback at night because I prefer to see more than just 2 balls of light in the mirror.

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,822 Posts
there should be a power button in the middle. i haven't had a homelink mirror since july, but both my subarus have the auto dimming with a compass and no homelink and if you turn it off the auto dim goes away.

·
Premium Member
2013 Outback 3.6R Ltd- Nav, Eyesight, HK, Graphite Gray Metallic
815 Posts
According to my manual, page 3-51, the right-most button turns the auto-dim feature off, and the button to its left turns it on. It further states:

Auto-dimming function
The auto-dimming function is an anti-glare
capability which automatically reduces
glare coming from headlights of vehicles
behind you.
By pressing the power on button, the autodimming
function is turned on. By pressing
the power off button, the auto-dimming
function is turned off. When the autodimming
function is on, the function
indicator will illuminate in green.
Even with the mirror in anti-glare mode,
the mirror surface turns bright if the shift
lever/select lever is shifted into the “R”
(reverse) position. This is to ensure good
rearward visibility during reversing.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,182 Posts
According to my manual, page 3-51, the right-most button turns the auto-dim feature off, and the button to its left turns it on. It further states:

Auto-dimming function
The auto-dimming function is an anti-glare
capability which automatically reduces
glare coming from headlights of vehicles
behind you.
By pressing the power on button, the autodimming
function is turned on. By pressing
the power off button, the auto-dimming
function is turned off. When the autodimming
function is on, the function
indicator will illuminate in green.
Even with the mirror in anti-glare mode,
the mirror surface turns bright if the shift
lever/select lever is shifted into the “R”
(reverse) position. This is to ensure good
rearward visibility during reversing.
I think the OP is asking if there is a way to keep it coming back on. I can turn mine off but next time I start my car it automatically turns back on.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the OP is asking if there is a way to keep it coming back on. I can turn mine off but next time I start my car it automatically turns back on.
Exactly. I hate the feature and want to find a way to turn it off and keep it off.

·
Registered
2017 2.5i Limited OB with Eyesight, Ice Silver
8 Posts
There is a sensor in the mirror, if you can locate it, you can block it, but you'll create a blind spot on your mirror. I'd just turn it off all the time if it bugs ya that much.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium 6mt
187 Posts
The sensor is the little window looking thing on the bottom edge of the mirror, next to the center button. It compares the rearward incoming light to the forward light. I suspect that a small piece of black electrical tape on the rear side of the sensor window would prevent the mirror from dimming (rear side meaning the side that faces the rear window).

You could probably even adjust the size of the piece of tape to achieve a partial dim rate. Covering 3/4 of the sensor window may produce a very mild dim (assuming these mirrors dim progressively).

I would go out and try it but I have one of the few Outback Premiums with a manual mirror (I ordered it this way on purpose).

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5 Premium 6mt
187 Posts
There is a sensor in the mirror, if you can locate it, you can block it, but you'll create a blind spot on your mirror. I'd just turn it off all the time if it bugs ya that much.
No blind spot will be created. The sensor shouldn't be in the mirrored surface.

·
Registered
2014 BMW 328xi Sport Wagon, 1984 Avanti 5.0 HO V8
92 Posts
My 2012 Premium has 3 wires going to the mirror. Hot, Ground, and Reverse. The reverse wire has 12v on it when backing up, which overrides the autodimmer. I cut the reverse wire, and connected the mirror side of it to the 12V wire. That way the mirror always thinks I'm in reverse, and it never dims.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
Why not just disconnect the mirror's power supply all together?

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Why not just disconnect the mirror's power supply all together?
As was said, I still want the homelink to work.

My 2012 Premium has 3 wires going to the mirror. Hot, Ground, and Reverse. The reverse wire has 12v on it when backing up, which overrides the autodimmer. I cut the reverse wire, and connected the mirror side of it to the 12V wire. That way the mirror always thinks I'm in reverse, and it never dims.
I'll give this a try, thanks!

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
You know that's a $300.00 mirror your going to destroy, I would go with the tape over the eye.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You know that's a $300.00 mirror your going to destroy, I would go with the tape over the eye.
Will it really be destroyed by cutting a wire that could easily be re-spliced should I ever want to reverse this? I'd rather cut a hidden wire than increase the ghetto fabulosity of the interior with a piece of electrical tape any day of the week.

·
Registered
2019 Forester Sport. Love the Orange.
4,017 Posts
Will it really be destroyed by cutting a wire that could easily be re-spliced should I ever want to reverse this? I'd rather cut a hidden wire than increase the ghetto fabulosity of the interior with a piece of electrical tape any day of the week.
The piece of tape required would only be about the size of a pencil erasure. I took a paper hole punch and punched a circle of black electrical tape to disable mine on my 2011. Took me longer to find an old paper punch than to do the fix. I'm not a big fan of splicing wires. YMMV.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
First off you don't know if that wire is used for something else down the power line or not, a small piece of tape isn't going to look that bad, then to splice it later on is just out of this world, it's a new car, it's always better to have, than not to have. I'm not a electrical engineer but I think thats a bad idea. but it's your ride.

·
Registered
'13 OB, Black, SAP
271 Posts
Dont know how to disable it but you can block the sensor... the circled part is the sensor, craft something up to cover it, and that should do it. Dont cut into any wires, IMO it is just not necessary.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The piece of tape required would only be about the size of a pencil erasure. I took a paper hole punch and punched a circle of black electrical tape to disable mine on my 2011. Took me longer to find an old paper punch than to do the fix. I'm not a big fan of splicing wires. YMMV.
I may give that a try as a short term solution. I have one of those old hole punches in my desk at work, it was there when I started the job 11 years ago and I have yet to use it...

First off you don't know if that wire is used for something else down the power line or not, a small piece of tape isn't going to look that bad, then to splice it later on is just out of this world, it's a new car, it's always better to have, than not to have. I'm not a electrical engineer but I think thats a bad idea. but it's your ride.
I'm not afraid of a little wiring. I helped put myself through school installing car stereos, sourced the parts and built my own harnesses to get the adjustable headlight leveling for a set of EDM headlights and JDM power folding mirrors to work on my 02 WRX.

Maybe the answer is to splice the reverse wire to constant power as mentioned above and put an inline switch on that line so that the auto dim function can be used if I ever want to. There is probably even enough room in the mirror housing so that I can install a switch on the back of the mirror if I can crack the case open without damaging it.

I appreciate the input and even the concern for the well being of my vehicle. I just re-read my last post and it sounded a lot more snotty than it was intended to, I was trying to rush a response while my phone was ringing.

·
Registered
2020 Touring XT, 2013 Outback Lim SAP 270K, 2003 Outback Lim MT 2.5L, 241K..
2,182 Posts
I'm not afraid of a little wiring. I helped put myself through school installing car stereos, sourced the parts and built my own harnesses to get the adjustable headlight leveling for a set of EDM headlights and JDM power folding mirrors to work on my 02 WRX.
Then I need to ask you a question.

How do I find a GOOD stereo installer - who, in the future, could change out the audio system (speakers and MAYBE the head unit) of my 2013 OB, and do a good job with the audio, AND not hurt my interior in the process.

I have been to 2 guys in the past to install/upgrade factory systems. Both had legitimate shops installing and selling after market stereos. I was HIGHLY disappointing with their lack of competence in the end.

I am an audio guy - I know audio and audio gear well - and have been amazed how little these people knew about audio gear and basic rules (like not wiring speakers out of phase) - that made me wonder how they even successfully did what they did for a living.

Id love to just buy all the equipment and do it myself - but I am clueless when it comes to all the auto wiring and taking apart the car interior without damaging things, modifying limited space to fit gear into a car.

I just dont have any confidence in who can do a good job at this anymore.
How do I find someone good, who will be good with the car AND the audio tech?

I am HIGHLY disappointed with the Harmon Kardon system in this 2013 OB. I am pretty sure over half of it is the speaker quality/crossover/and sub control, but I may want to change the head unit in the future too but dont know how to find someone who will do a good job.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts