Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering 2013 Outback 3.6L Limited (after 10 years with a 2002 Impreza 2.5RS)

I must say, mixing and matching package features is a bit of a pain. I would like
+ keyless entry
+ pushbutton start
Also nice to have but not as important
+ mirrors with turn signal
+ cruise control maintain-distance feature (Eyesight package)

But I do not like the SAP components of:
- limited colour choices (thinking of graphite)
- not convinced by brown leather, but haven't seen it in the wild yet
- do not have any interest in a NAV package. My smartphone maps are more up to date.

Three questions for the gurus here:
(1) Are any of my wants available as aftermarket installs?
(2) I believe the Outback NAV system is some what clunky and un-user friendly. Any opinions?
(3) How is the iPhone bluetooth pairing functionality? Any advanced audio controls like SHUFFLE or FAST FORWARD/SKIP Xsecs etc?

Cheers all,
Juz

·
Registered
'11 outback 2.5i premium '12 impreza sport limited
3,814 Posts
the SAP is the only way you can get pushbutton start and signalling mirrors. if you get eyesight you cannot get SAP, if you get SAP you can't have adaptive cruise control. i've never heard anything good about the factory nav, skip it. not sure about the iphone bluetooth. there are plenty of aftermarket options for all of your needs except adaptive cruise or signalling mirrors. just don't have a best buy or similar install whatever aftermarket stuff you buy...

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
My guess is Subaru will offer some or all of the SAP features on the 2014 Limited models.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My guess is Subaru will offer some or all of the SAP features on the 2014 Limited models.
Thats a good point. I saw the 2014 Forester brochure from a local car show, any clue as to when they will release 2014 Outback details or for sale? (not that I can really wait :)

Cheers,
Juz

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
+1, new features are often spread to the rest of the models in the following model year.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
i've never heard anything good about the factory nav, skip it.
I find the factory nav perfectly adequate. While it has some oddities here and there, so does the Garmin I use as well as Google maps.

Google maps, for example, put me on a loop when I was going to go pick up my OB. I was crusing down the interstate "exit at exit 59". So I do. "Turn left". So I do. "Turn left to go back onto the interstate". So, I do, thinking it was some funkey exit.

Fast forward, it wanted me to go up another exit the way I came and repeat. It had me going in one giant circle. I broke the cycle by making a turn it didn't want me to make.

Can't say the factory nav has done that to me (even when using it on the same route to the dealership)...

As a matter of fact, I love how you enter addresses. It removes any letters that are not necessary. That way, if a letter is missing, you know you've typed something wrong. Numbers, too.

I would, however, recommend skipping the traffic nav stuff. Not worth it.

·
Registered
2017 Outback, 14 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 07 BMW E-93
604 Posts
I wish memory seats would be available too. I like the turn signals in the mirrors and frankly the nav works just fine for me. I have a Garmin as well but having nav up all the time is much more helpful integrated than something stuck on the window or on the side.
I expect Subaru will provide a nav update.
I would like to know when the 14's are out too because I plan to buy another OB but will look hard at the Forester with Eye Sight first...

·
Registered
2020 Touring Onyx XT; 2014 Tribeca
399 Posts
I think that the outback announcements are at the NY auto show, so we have a month or two before we hear anything at soonest. I am too crossing my fingers that the push button start, turn signal mirrors, and eyesight will be announced for 2014. Heck It would be a novelty if the outback gets the power lift gate that the 2014 forester is, but I would only get it if it came as a package.

·
Registered
2011 2.5 Limited Cypress Green
573 Posts
the SAP is the only way you can get pushbutton start and signalling mirrors. if you get eyesight you cannot get SAP, if you get SAP you can't have adaptive cruise control. i've never heard anything good about the factory nav, skip it. not sure about the iphone bluetooth. there are plenty of aftermarket options for all of your needs except adaptive cruise or signalling mirrors. just don't have a best buy or similar install whatever aftermarket stuff you buy...

Agreed. iPhone bluetooth in my HK,non-nav was pretty good, but I replaced it with a Pioneer touch-screen unit. The signals in the head/tail lamps are pretty bright, I can see them shining off surroundings at night.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts