Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2016 3.6 Limited with ES
2,469 Posts
The horse is dead. Very dead. People still come along wanting to take a whack at it.

To sum it up, Rain X is not a problem in any way, shape or form. Many members use it and no one has a problem. Same with using Aquapel. I've used both on my OB without a single instance of Eyesight getting constipated over it. No one else has either.

So then let's finish up on the carcas but saying the Subara doesn't approve for a very simple reason - Subara doesn't test all 3rd party products on their cars so they won't bless window treatments however even that's suspect. McGard makes the Subara wheel locks. The Subie branded ones are blessed but the McGard ones aren't leading some to say that Subie needs a bit of revenue from accessory sales and that might be one of their motives.

·
Registered
340 Posts
A number of previous posts attempted to address this subject so recommend you do a search. My conclusion is that in rain it could easily add noise to the capturing of an image. This is due to the hydrophobic surface causing droplets of water to form. These will act like small lenses resulting in the detectors receiving scattered light with the images. Apparently this effect has not been reported/thought to detect an issue. It is always prudent to follow Subaru's instructions and if you choose to use this product then provide extra oversight of all related functions when driving.
Another consideration is to mask-off the critical areas of the windshield when applying the product..

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
But maybe something has changed since the OP last made the same thread. The world is a far different place since then with the pandemic and all.
Could be a spin off with crossover episodes or flashbacks. Fear the Rain-X or something like that.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback
254 Posts
A number of previous posts attempted to address this subject so recommend you do a search. My conclusion is that in rain it could easily add noise to the capturing of an image. This is due to the hydrophobic surface causing droplets of water to form. These will act like small lenses resulting in the detectors receiving scattered light with the images. Apparently this effect has not been reported/thought to detect an issue.
If that were a problem then the cars would not come with intermittent wipers, and they would probably come with rain sensing wipers (the one piece of lazy technology I wish I had in my vehicles).

·
Premium Member
2020 Limited XT Autumn Green Metallic/Warm Ivory, Falken WIldpeak A/T Trail, OEM Skid Plates etc
235 Posts
I use and LOVE Rain-X without issue (since the mid-80's). Now on the windshield, I only do the areas outside of the wiper blades otherwise I use on ALL windows, mirrors, lights and cameras.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Update from a VERY long-time Aquapel user myself; I've still had zero issues with my Aquapel and ES, applied immediately after purchase, so going on 6 months now...
Of course, being Aquapel (mine typically lasts 12-18 months), it's still shedding water like I just applied it yesterday.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Rain-X improperly applied to a dirty windshield or not properly buffed off and used with deteriorating windshield wiper rubber can result in smears that would affect human visibility and Subaru eyesight which is an optical system. There are numerous posts all over the internet of people complaining about Rain-X causing visibility issues but I am sure that 100% of those complaints are from people who did not follow the directions and applied it improperly.

Properly applied to clean glass, and properly buffed off, used with good wiper blades, Rain-X and similar transparent coatings do not leave haze or smears and will not affect Eyesight.

·
Registered
2020 touring XT
112 Posts
I checked Japanese Subaru forum for last 7 years. They are saying using Rain-X type water repellant for eye-sight equipped windshield is not a problem. But they said we should use wiper more often. As long as wiper takes off small water pellets off the glass, they said it is ok. And also as silver onix said, apply it right.. buff buff buff.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I checked Japanese Subaru forum for last 7 years. They are saying using Rain-X type water repellant for eye-sight equipped windshield is not a problem. But they said we should use wiper more often. As long as wiper takes off small water pellets off the glass, they said it is ok. And also as silver onix said, apply it right.. buff buff buff.
I just put on a layer of Glaco I had from years ago:

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited 2.5i
201 Posts
Ours has a Jade Ceramic treatment on it. No issues whatsoever.

·
Registered
2013 Outback 3.6R Limited
499 Posts
My dealer also said it wasn't recommended. Could clog the thin tubing that Subaru uses in their fluid lines. I use the concentrate every other fill. No problems
Well, that is a new reason for some folks to worry. ;)

·
Registered
2020 Outback XT Touring
9 Posts
Just think for a second, the system has to cope with dirt, grime and rain whether you do or don't have any water repellant. The system copes well even with a windshield crack going thru the sight area( i had a windshield crack on my 2017 OB). You think rain-x will affect anything?
Used it on my 2017 and using it now.

·
Registered
2019 2.5 Ltd.
70 Posts
Use and prefer rainx for years. No issues noticed eyesight or other except except...I see way way better when it rains no matter how good shape the blades are.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts