Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd like to have the stock wheels pushed out a little towards the outside of the fender for better looks and a little more lateral resistance to body roll. I've seen the spacers you get at the auto parts store and I'm not sure I would like those being on the car. I do however like the machined ones that replace the stock studs or bolt to the stock studs and then attach the wheel.

I have spidertrax 1 1/2 spacers on my FJ and they have worked great. I had to get the wheels out some to clear the big tires.

Anybody put something on their car that they liked or didn't like?

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
I was just looking at spacers yesterday for the same reason. I too would like to add maybe 10mm spacers, but I would like to see what others say. Ideally I'd just get new wheels with a 35-40mm offset, but i kinda like the stock wheels.

My only concern is if they put extra strain on the bearings from being pushed out farther from the hub. Or is there no differnce compared to running lower offset wheels?

I had 15mm spacers on another car for years without trouble. It's best to get hubcentric ones so that they are always centered and won't get unbalanced. The ones I've seen at auto parts stores look pretty cheap. I had Ichiba spacers that came with longer studs to accomodate the spacer and have enough thread left to properly bolt on the wheels.

edit:
Here's an interesting read
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/legacy-gt-wheel-spacers-need-some-insight-159673.html?amp;

edit:
these look legit.
http://www.perrinperformance.com/subaru/sti-06-07/wheels-spacers-tires/15mm-perrin-wheel-spacers-psp-whl-115

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was just looking at spacers yesterday for the same reason. I too would like to add maybe 10mm spacers, but I would like to see what others say. Ideally I'd just get new wheels with a 35-40mm offset, but i kinda like the stock wheels.

My only concern is if they put extra strain on the bearings from being pushed out farther from the hub. Or is there no differnce compared to running lower offset wheels?

I had 15mm spacers on another car for years without trouble. It's best to get hubcentric ones so that they are always centered and won't get unbalanced. The ones I've seen at auto parts stores look pretty cheap. I had Ichiba spacers that came with longer studs to accomodate the spacer and have enough thread left to properly bolt on the wheels.

edit:
Here's an interesting read
legacy gt wheel spacers... need some insight - Subaru Legacy Forums;

edit:
these look legit.
PERRIN Performance — — 15mm PERRIN Wheel Spacers

I like those bottom ones but $$$$ $160 for two spacers? Double that and you'd have an entire new set of wheels! I was looking at the Ichiba ones as well. They look to be the same setup as the Spidertrax ones I have just not as wide. Mine were only $75 a pair though for 1 and 1/2 inch size six lug.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I am confused why you think spacers give you less body roll. They're not a part of the suspension. If you want less body roll, change springs, shocks or sway bars.

As I'm sure you're aware, be careful with spacers. Check lug nut torque often. It also puts more stress on the bearings, which could make it fail a lot sooner.

That said, I do wish the wheels were more flush with the body. I may go for aftermarket wheelset with less backspacing and keep the stockers with snow tires. No spacers for me.

·
Registered
2012 2.5i Premium CVT
921 Posts
I am confused why you think spacers give you less body roll. They're not a part of the suspension. If you want less body roll, change springs, shocks or sway bars.

As I'm sure you're aware, be careful with spacers. Check lug nut torque often. It also puts more stress on the bearings, which could make it fail a lot sooner.

That said, I do wish the wheels were more flush with the body. I may go for aftermarket wheelset with less backspacing and keep the stockers with snow tires. No spacers for me.
In my case, I claim temporary illiteracy and didn't read the original post well enough. I only want the aesthetics of the wheels sitting more flush. I'm fine with the 19mm RSB to increase roll stiffness.

Wouldn't offsetting the wheel more outside actually give it more leverage to compress the spring more easily compared to the wheels sitting more inside?

At any rate, I lean more toward not installing spacers.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
In my case, I claim temporary illiteracy and didn't read the original post well enough. I only want the aesthetics of the wheels sitting more flush. I'm fine with the 19mm RSB to increase roll stiffness.

Wouldn't offsetting the wheel more outside actually give it more leverage to compress the spring more easily compared to the wheels sitting more inside?

At any rate, I lean more toward not installing spacers.
10 MMs on either side really aren't going to do much honestly, and body roll really wasn't the correct term. However putting the tires on the ground at a wider stance effectively widens the track of the car. Imagine putting a box on a skinny wheelbase. It's easy to tip over correct? Now put a wide wheelbase under the same box. Harder to tip. This makes the car slightly more stable on the road, however again 20MMs on either side isn't going to do a whole lot on a car like this. It's mainly for looks and partially for larger tire clearance in my case.

Spacers won't put any more stress on the wheel bearings than a set of wheels with more offset. The contact point on the car still remains the wheel hub. If the car tends to fail with the tires set 10 MMs out further than stock, id be concerned about reliability of everything else as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts