Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Outback wagon AWP auto
3 Posts
Blue Ridge OBS,

I've had my Outback for 9 months now, and won't ever go back to driving a regular car again. I've got a Seamist Green 2003 Outback Wagon with the All Weather Package and AUTO. The options I have are: Automatic Dimming Mirror with Compass, Trailor Hitch, Tweeter Kit, Upgraded Door Speakers, Security System Upgrade, Air Filtration System, Rear Differential Protector, Wheel locks, and last but not least Leather Shift Knob. I'm a computer geek by profession, a Systems Analyst for a hospital. The Outback is perfect for my lifestyle. When I'm not working, I split my free time between working out, tai chi, mountain biking and roller-blading. I've got a hitch-mounted back rack from Saris. I can install the rack and have my bike mounted on the rack in about 5 minutes, which is one of the primary reasons I bought the Outback. I love this car and could kick myself for not buying one sooner. My last car was a 2 seat coupe. Living in the South in sunny Louisiana, most people think you don't need all-wheel drive here because we don't get much snow. Wrong !!! We get rain and tons of it all at once. I was really impressed the first time I took my Outback on a road-trip on my vacation. I had the Outback really loaded up with gear and my bike rack and bike loaded on the back of the car, and I still got between 28 and 29 mpg on the highway. Try getting that gas mileage with an AWD SUV. When I bought my Outback, I used Subaru's VIP Partner's program through IMBA. I ended up paying $1000 under invoice; there was a $1000 cash back to dealer rebate at the time. It was the easiest, most trouble-free car buying experience I've ever had, and the only way I'll buy a car from now on.

·
Tokyo's between my toes
2001 Wintergreen Outback 5MT
6,684 Posts
Something odd about Outbacks, they still handle well under full load. Maybe it has to do with the spring rating.

Not long after I got my 98, I had five people in the car while driving around an old part of downtown called German Village, where the streets are still brick, and very uneven. The handling was still fine, it never bottomed or swayed around.

OTOH when I carried a load of stone (pic in gallery) I could tell that it was well past capacity. I played a bit with the steering at about 40 on a straight level road, and it felt like the center of balance of the car was 3/4 of the way to the rear. But I was still able to take it into a forest, across a small hollow, and up to the campsite.

·
Registered
'04 Colorado, '90 Legacy sedan
137 Posts
Virginia Beach, VA

That's South of the Mason Dixon Line!

Todd

·
I need a fog horn, ,
2004 Outback Sport
213 Posts
wow! action in the South forum.

I just moved about 20 miles south last weekend

·
Registered
'04 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport H-4 4EAT Platinum Silver Metallic
195 Posts
Guess we aren't known for being slow in the Deep South for nothing, only saw this forum just now after having joined the talks in other forums this past week. Good to see others here are scattered around in the SE.

I'm in north-central Alabama. To be a little more precise, nearby the Marshall Space Flight Center where the International Space Station mockup was put together (Saturn V moon rocket, too) and one of the Space Camps for kids at the Huntsville Space and Rocket Center. Actually, all those are about 15 miles from here.

I was born around here but lived in FL by Cape Canaveral (Kennedy) as a kid and next near Seattle WA for 15 years, finally back here.

I probably could have put the Impreza OBS to better use in WA, with its Cascade and Olympic mountains. Maybe even FL with its swamps. But since this is only a AWD and relatively low to the ground it should be perfect for the little hills and valleys, occasional snows and the more often flooding rains.

Can't wait for a challenge. The regular road driving has already proven to be very nice in this car.

·
Registered
99 OB wagon 2.5 manual trans
6 Posts
Yeah, all my life ... In fact mooresville (besides a 5 year stint in Boone) is the furthest north I've lived. Woo! Race track!

·
Registered
2002 Outback Wagon
38 Posts
Concord NC here. The Outback is the wife's car but we both love it. Only thing I would like better is a turbo diesel in it.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2018 Outbacks, Grey Premium & Silver Limited
4,781 Posts
osidak said:
Only thing I would like better is a turbo diesel in it.
You and every right minded person on this site wants a diesel Outback ;)

You should check out the BMW diesel thread in our Car Lounge forum here :)

1 - 20 of 190 Posts