Subaru Outback Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ever since we bought our 2013 Outback (new) it has needed about 1/2 Qt of OW-20 between oil changes. Everyone from dealer to our independent auto guy said its the nature of the synthetic fuel. But now in last 3months (130,000K mi) it has been taking 1/2 Qt/wk- wk +1/2 average without extra driving or the like and no oil stains. Now I was almost 2,000 over in getting the oil changed - today (my bad), so I had the mechanic go over everything looking for any possible leak - none found. He said it's just eating oil. Any thoughts or similar with your old Outty.... Could it be simply once you push the limit on oil change it eats more or am I stuck with this problem now?
We're going to keep her for now and get rid of our '99 Legacy for a new Outback, so was wondering if anyone here knows if we're stuck with this same problem in the newer models. We'll be going to automatic this time from manual trans ?if that makes any difference??
Love to hear your thoughts.

·
Premium Member
2020 Onyx
15,396 Posts
Sometimes a piston ring cleaner will help restore the functioning of oil control rings if that's the source of the problem.

Also replace the PCV valve because if it's partially clogged it can increase crankcase pressure.

During the pandemic some people have decreased their driving and are going by miles not time, but generally 6k miles or 6 months is good - don't exceed time just because miles are low. Short trip occasional driving is hard on the oil.

Reactions: Bomonti

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sometimes a piston ring cleaner will help restore the functioning of oil control rings if that's the source of the problem.

Also replace the PCV valve because if it's partially clogged it can increase crankcase pressure.

During the pandemic some people have decreased their driving and are going by miles not time, but generally 6k miles or 6 months is good - don't exceed time just because miles are low. Short trip occasional driving is hard on the oil.
Thank you for this information. I will pass it on to my mechanic if the problem persists with this new oil change.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i
3,326 Posts
look for leaks also last time you put a PCV valve in there?

common area for F25 is front timing cover, spark plug tube seals, cam carriers

·
Registered
2001 Outback 2.5L, 2005 Outback XT Limited
32 Posts
I’m pretty sure there’s a service bulletin for 2013 outback’s consuming oil. Something about bad piston rings. Probably out of coverage as of this year. I almost bought a 13 and went into Subaru and asked about the bulletin. They said it is not covered after 8 years.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 3.6R Premier w/206K miles.
122 Posts
I’m pretty sure there’s a service bulletin for 2013 outback’s consuming oil. Something about bad piston rings. Probably out of coverage as of this year. I almost bought a 13 and went into Subaru and asked about the bulletin. They said it is not covered after 8 years.
If it's a known issue then I would recommend contacting SOA to see if they'll make an exception. Can't hurt to ask.

·
Registered
2015 3.6R Limited
408 Posts
Sold my 2013 2.5i because of excessive oil consumption and other issues. My wife's 2013 Forrester 2.5x consumes oil at an even more alarming rate. Maddening to say the least.

·
Registered
170 Posts
i see the same oil consumption that you are seeing on my 14 OB 2.5 usually only after long highway stints. around the city it usually holds the oil. from what i read this is "normal"...nature of the boxer engines. i try to keep an eye out on oil levels every month.

·
Banned
213 Posts
The oil consumption issue on the early F series engines is well known and well documented, so much so that Subaru came under a class action lawsuit for it. The lawsuit led to Subaru extending the engine warranty out to 8 years/ 100k miles along with an "excessive oil consumption" test where the dealer would run tests on your engine (for a cost I believe, some may have gotten this waived) and if it met Subaru's (fairly stringent) criteria for excessive oil consumption they would replace the piston rings or in some cases the entire short block free of charge.
Here's some good info on the whole thing:

Subaru Oil Consumption

·
Registered
2014 Outback 2.5i M/T
46 Posts
Yes. Just live with it. Subaru isn’t going to give you a new engine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
my 2009 Forester had this oil leak issue and my mechanics service writer claimed it was the head gaskets. I sold the car to a Lexus dealer and got a 2010 OutbackPremium . I took it in for timing belt change,and they told me a seal inside the cover was bulging and hitting the crankshaft gear.If it were to rupture, I would have a serious oil leak. $350 more to fix that. Now I seem to recall my old Forester had no obvious oil leaks even tho it kept vaporizing on me , except there was oil on the cross member under the timing belt cover and the cover was all black? I am betting it just needed this same seal replaced inside the timing belt cover and NOT the head gaskets. The old Forester had a really rough ride vs the Outback Premium. But the Outback did not like to be parked on sloped driveways, trans shifter would almost lock up when parking .. 2015 Outback no problem, except now the left front end klunks on rough roads. Subaru claims this is normal but its driving me crazy. Drove a brand new Forester, same klunk on rough pavement. BUT, a used ASCENT drove smooth and NO front end clunks at all. I will try doing the Power steering spring replacement I found out about on this forum, see if it helps at all.

·
Registered
2013, OB Limited, 2.5, dark gray. July 2016 - approx 55,000 miles.
68 Posts
my 2009 Forester had this oil leak issue and my mechanics service writer claimed it was the head gaskets. I sold the car to a Lexus dealer and got a 2010 OutbackPremium . I took it in for timing belt change,and they told me a seal inside the cover was bulging and hitting the crankshaft gear.If it were to rupture, I would have a serious oil leak. $350 more to fix that. Now I seem to recall my old Forester had no obvious oil leaks even tho it kept vaporizing on me , except there was oil on the cross member under the timing belt cover and the cover was all black? I am betting it just needed this same seal replaced inside the timing belt cover and NOT the head gaskets. The old Forester had a really rough ride vs the Outback Premium. But the Outback did not like to be parked on sloped driveways, trans shifter would almost lock up when parking .. 2015 Outback no problem, except now the left front end klunks on rough roads. Subaru claims this is normal but its driving me crazy. Drove a brand new Forester, same klunk on rough pavement. BUT, a used ASCENT drove smooth and NO front end clunks at all. I will try doing the Power steering spring replacement I found out about on this forum, see if it helps at all.
Interesting about that knock. My outback (gen4) got a front knock/rattle over bumpy surfaces at slow speed, from maybe 50,000 miles, and it was worn front brake slide pins. I finally worked that out with help from here and replaced at 95,000 miles.

But that wouldn't make sense if you had the same noise in a brand new Forrester.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had my front brake calipers replaced this week, low speed knocking noise still there, but my undiagnosed severe right front wheel CRUNCH noise on hard braking, has disappeared finally, yippeee !!

·
Registered
4 Posts
i had those greased, had no effect on front end klunks....I had a horrible CRUNCH noise in front right corner of car on hard braking. My mechanic could hear it but could find nothing wrong and he said my used car had new brakes. Last week, I decided to get the front calipers replaced and the CRUNCH disappeared finally, $400 fix. No on to the horrible klunks under the car at low speeds.It was just on rough roads but cold weather has made it worse than ever on all roads now. Subaru says if I install the tiny little spring in the steering gearbox and it cannot be adjusted properly afterwards, that I will need a whole new steering rack? Fortunately, I bot the 2 year bumper to bumper warranty with this car so might as well make use of it here I guess...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts