Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited XT Black on Ivory
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I reciently purchased a new 2020 Outback Limited XT and my insurance bill for the first full year just came in. It has jumped up quite a bit despite the car having eyesight and a host of safety /anti theft features. I got a quotes from both LM and Progressive but am a little nervous about giving up my local insurance agent. Looking for input on experiences with either company. Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
'15 Outback 2.5i Premium
2,474 Posts
We had Liberty Mutual for years, and Prudential, which became Liberty, before that. No problems, but our rates had been inching up for years.

We had our car insurance with them and our homeowner's insurance with State Farm because neither was competitive with the other of those policies, even when bundled. A couple of years ago, after we shed a car and some teen and young adult drivers, we also wanted an umbrella liability policy, which would require the carrier to have both of those policies. By then State Farm gave us a better rate for the caboodle, so we transferred our Auto policy to them. Again, no real problem with Liberty/Prudential. We had few claims over decades, and those were handled well, but it paid to shop around.

·
Registered
5,520 Posts
I have SafeCo, which is a Liberty Mutual company. No complaints and do have a local agent.

·
Registered
2011 Outback Limited 2.5
199 Posts
I have LM for my apartment insurance and my three cars and haven't had any issues with them, got that accident forgiveness for no accidents in 5 years so I am feeling good. Their app is good, and it is easy to add or remove things needed for the cars, make payments, and I've put in claims for locked keys in the car and a new windshield right from the phone and it couldn't have been easier!

·
Registered
2018 3.6r Touring, Black, modifications: 255-55-zr18 Continental DWS06
356 Posts
I am with USAA (though I think this next statement would be applicable to most large companies), the requirement for me to have access to a local agent is not a thing any longer. With mobile apps and call centers, if I have an issue I have always been supported very well. I haven't had a local agent in nearly 25-30 years.

Some people rave about GEICO (Govt Employee Ins Company as it was once known)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Progressive had been good when we had them... and somewhat price competitive....liberty was waaay too over-priced in their quotes

·
Registered
2018 Outback Premium 2.5
343 Posts
They say that since it's a pain in the butt, most people stick with their current insurance provider even though rates increase every year. It is worth it to shop around and switch if needed.

Progressive has handled a parking lot hit & run, as well as a deer, very well.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Progressive is who you’ll get for motorcycle insurance if you go through USAA... I have had zero problems with progressive.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,304 Posts
been with progressive since 2005, no complaints

2014 legacy is most expensive 1/3/100K coverage
2010 outback 2.6R is least 1/3/100K coverage
2003 is storage only

$500 Deductible

last bill was $533 for 6 in countryside in MN

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all, I worked for the Navy for 33 years but as a civilian so I think USAA is out. I just got a great quote from both Geico and Progressive. I will likely go with one of them.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2nd Subaru owned
244 Posts
I had Liberty Mutual for many years. I always had prompt, excellent service. I have a perfect driving record. No accidents or tickets. One year my rates went up a few hundred dollars. I was offered a quote from a Met Life agent where I had some other policies. I have been with Met Life ever since. The rates have been very good with Met Life.
It does pay to shop around. Just know who you will be dealing with. Not all companies are the same. How they handle claims, Will everything is done on line ?, payment options, Do you have an person (agent) that you can see to handle a claim ? What type of parts will they use to fix your car ? You do get what you pay for .

·
Premium Member
2018 Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R Crystal White Pearl/black interior
376 Posts
It definitely pays to shop insurance every couple of years - as mentioned rates will creep up if you stay with the same company. It is best to find an insurance broker who can shop 20-30 different insurance carriers. You don't pay extra for the service. We started out with Safeco, then Liberty Mutual, then Travelers, then Safeco again. Good luck.

·
Registered
2011 SSM Outback 2.5i Premium
2,046 Posts
I shopped insurance for my 2011 a few years ago. The only difference in cost between my current policy and others was the 10% add-on I pay for in order to be assured OEM parts in the case of a collision repair. This was through my agent, who writes for several big name companies.

·
Registered
2017 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited
95 Posts
Thanks all, I worked for the Navy for 33 years but as a civilian so I think USAA is out. I just got a great quote from both Geico and Progressive. I will likely go with one of them.
I implore you please stay away from Geico at all costs. When I got rear ended last year it took over two weeks of driving a beat up car for them to get a quote and "talk" to the driver that hit me to confirm their side of the story. Shouldn't have taken that long considering the police report stated it was fully their fault.

All I am going to say is you get what you pay for. I have Safeco (Subsidiary of Liberty Mutual) and have a local agent and great relationship. You get what you pay for and Geico does not care about the person that was hit in a collision. It almost got to the point that I almost had to file on my own insurance and have them sue Geico for repayment.

Geico will never get my business!!!!

EDIT

I have a good friend who is in the body repair business and they have had more issues with Progressive and Geico than any other company.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium 2nd Subaru owned
244 Posts
Were you ever in active or reserve military service ? Anyone in your immediate family in the military ? USAA has expanded their membership requirements. My son asked me to sign up as a member so he could be qualified under me. You might check. Same with Geico. Many years ago, to they only allowed Government employees/military. Now everybody can get a quote.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Were you ever in active or reserve military service ? Anyone in your immediate family in the military ? USAA has expanded their membership requirements. My son asked me to sign up as a member so he could be qualified under me. You might check. Same with Geico. Many years ago, to they only allowed Government employees/military. Now everybody can get a quote.
I worked for the navy as a sandcrab for 33 years but no enlisted time so no USAA. That said, after some research I found Geico has provided good service to residents of my town. (People who actually had accidents/claims). I cut my bill nearly in half. All is good.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I worked for the navy as a sandcrab for 33 years but no enlisted time so no USAA. That said, after some research I found Geico has provided good service to residents of my town. (People who actually had accidents/claims). I cut my bill nearly in half. All is good.
I think that Geico has way better quotes than USAA. Talking of insurance agencies and how to sign up insurance papers with the biggest profit, I can share this informative page ( here: https://www.americaninsurance.com/car-insurance-rates-hybrids-and-electric-cars ), where authors give explanation about basic rules you should care about.

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
14,057 Posts
Progressive has been good for me for many years. My rates drop regularly, I think I pay about $800/yr for 3 cars now. The last time something came up that needed their involvement, back in 2011, everything went smooth and no hassles.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts