Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2008 OB 2.5i 5mt
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

They advertise themselves as an independent Subie shop, but I haven't found anyone on here who recommended them while searching for indy shops. I want someone who will work with me and understands that I might want to do some work myself while still valuing their expertise for diagnosis and repairs that would be over my head. If you've taken your car there, let me know what your experience was like!

·
Registered
08 Obxt 5MT
57 Posts
I think because subaru are so popular out here, there are fewer people on forums and stuff, as odd as that sounds. I haven't met another person with a legacy gt from the boards and I don't think I've seen an obviously modified obxt driving. They are all just owned by old people.

I think to many they are just a car, almost everyone I know just takes theirs to the dealer, much to my horror. I can't say much for direct subaru work but met over at det's auto (the names confuse me) is a great, super blunt, easy to work with guy. I worked with him a lot when I was in repair shops.

If it's above my head though, I take my stuff to Adam over at Larry Miller used cars off 90th. I know him personally and he's been a mechanic for 22 years. I'm friends with his wife and they are building a lifted 08 impreza wagon with a custom rebuilt ej253 and different compression ratio to change the torque band. He also does a lot of custom turbo work on big diesel trucks. Not what you'd expect considering where he works.

Det's might be cheaper. Adam is dealership prices.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2008 OB 2.5i 5mt
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks @Nonamedude I appreciate the input. I guess I see your point about the counter-intuitive popularity of subarus in the area, it seems like they are practically the school uniform around here, but yeah I can imagine most of these driver's aren't what you'd call 'enthusiasts'. I actually ended up taking my car to the dealer (Nate Wade) recently for reasons I'd rather not get into too deeply, but were documented in detail here:

Jist of it was in troubleshooting my ongoing oil leak I discovered that the shop that replaced my short block had, to some extent, swindled me. Invoices showed multiple charges for the same parts. Folks on the forum recommended going to the dealer for service in order to get authoritative documentation that might be useful in contesting some of the charges. Anyway, the dealer sucks and I very much did not feel like they were "on my side" so to speak.

I couldn't find a Det's Auto when I searched online but I did find a Met Auto and Truck... maybe the names are confusing me too though! lol...

Sounds like Adam must really know his stuff based on the scope of the impreza project you described. Money is tight for me right now and at least for the moment the car is functioning and not creating any smoke when I park lol, so I think I'm going to try to "not fix what ain't broke" for the time being, but will definitely keep this info in my back pocket for the future!

·
Registered
08 Obxt 5MT
57 Posts
Yea det works at Mets auto. Assuming he's still alive.... He wasn't exactly in top health.

That's a shame about nate Wade. Dealer is always rough I feel like, I've had good luck with their parts department but after getting tired of dealing with places even for easy stuff, I started doing my own work. Partly because I'm cheap and partly because it's sometimes less hassle.

I'm not on these forums as much just because all my rebuild stuff was over in legacy gt. Next time you need some help, and me a pm. I did everything but time and separate the heads on my outback xt after the engine blew 900 miles after purchase. Decided I kinda like working on cars so have most of the tools and even a project bmw now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts