Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Outback of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
'17 OB 2.5i Limited w/ES
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I mentioned in the "What did you do with your 5th Gen Outback?" thread, last Thursday, on the way to work, a bear ran out in front of me. Now, I've seem lots of people hit a deer, but I hardly ever see bears around here, let alone hit them.

Star-link worked great, auto called the cops and a tow truck for me, called my wife and in general was very professional. Eyesight kicked in and auto applied the brakes, but the 1 second between detection and impact, when I was going 55, didn't prevent impact, but I am sure it helped reduce the damage. Overall, very pleased with the Outback's performance during the accident.

The shop says there is no uni-body frame damage, lots of parts and repainting, a new headliner because the air bags deployed and of course, resetting all the air bags. So, a total of slightly over $8K, all but my deductible covered by insurance.

One item was a bit disconcerting, while the shop said there was no uni-body damage, they did say that the "inner frame" was slightly damaged and will need some welding repair.

Questions:

1. Ah, what's "the inner frame?"
  2. Should such damage require re-calibration of the eyesight system?
  3. Any other Subaru specifics to make sure get done?
  4. Anything else I need to make sure they do?
  5. In answering, keep in mind, I tend to keep cars, if they will hold up, for 10+ years / 200,00+ miles

Attachments

Reactions: JeffinVA

·
Registered
05 GT wagon, 09 Spec B, 18 3.6R Outback
1,316 Posts
Glad your ok. The inner frame may be the frame piece under the engine. Ask the body shop, they'll be able to tell you.

·
Registered
OBW H6 VDC, Tribeca, XT6
12,385 Posts
That is just what the fender is bolted to.

That's a very minor repair. They wouldn't need to cut and weld at all for a repair but fairly normal for them to want to replace the radiator cross members and maybe the front of the inner fender to be perfect and professional.

I could easily stitch that together in my garage,a quality shop will have no issues. I've done way worse many times.

·
Registered
'17 OB 2.5i Limited w/ES
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad to hear you're fine but what happened to the bear? :)
It was a suicide bear, perhaps radicalized by watching too much "Yogi" on YouTube ...

Attachments

·
On the Super Mod Squad
2002 3.0 VDC Wag + 2018 2.5 Leg Ltd
27,054 Posts
edit: how fast were you going when you actually hit it, 35mph?

______

once I had to stop short on a rural road for a large adult mother black bear crossing slow as there were wire guard rails on both sides, (which she climbed over)

following her: 3 small baby bears a few months old,

and one younger smaller mother. (presumably an adult daughter of her's paired up to watch and feed all those cubs between the 2 moms).

no camera at the time. (they all crossed like 10 feet in front of the car).

_____

in the same spot in the road I had to stop for a 180lb white tail female deer. jumping over the guard rail and almost on to the hood of the car with her hoofs. and I wondered how that deer lived so long to get so big.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited - Magnetite - LP Adventure lift
508 Posts
Years ago -just over 20 - I hit a bear on 81 in Va. I was 18 at the time. 86 Jetta. Totaled it. Big black bear. We were coming back from either Natural bridge or Arcadia. It was dark. We thought we hit a human till we saw it.

·
Registered
'17 OB 2.5i Limited w/ES
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A little hard to know speed of impact at the actual time of the impact. I was driving along at 55 mph. Eyesight had one second or less to detect and apply the brakes and I do remember hearing the collision avoidance alarm, so it was trying ... Likely Eyesight did have some effect, as I agree, the damage doesn't look like what I would expect from 175 lbs of bear being hit at 55 mph.

How much did eyesight slow me down before impact? I'll never know.

·
Registered
06 3.0R JDM facelift SI Drive-shift paddles. 87 Brumby EA81 (Brat) 4MT D/R
609 Posts
Just managed to avoid hitting a deer yesterday morning at 4am going to work.
Hit a goat in my Brumby (Brat) a few years ago (which i still have) on the same road.
Luckily have bull bars on front so no damage. - no obvious damage to goat either, it got up an ran away - tuff to kill - introduced to NZ along with deer so regarded as vermin.

·
SubaruOutback.org Founder
2021 Outback Limited 2.5L - 🍦The Ice Cream Man🍦
5,631 Posts
When I talk to people about getting Eyesight to avoid accidents I always mention what they could run in to...

Pedestrian
Bicyclist
Another car
Deer
Bear (I lived in Alaska!)
Meteor
Etc.

·
Registered
2017 OB 2.5 Premium w/ES 2002 2.5 OB 142k mi
301 Posts

______

once I had to stop short on a rural road for a large adult mother black bear crossing slow as there were wire guard rails on both sides, (which she climbed over)

following her: 3 small baby bears a few months old,

and one younger smaller mother. (presumably an adult daughter of her's paired up to watch and feed all those cubs between the 2 moms).

no camera at the time. (they all crossed like 10 feet in front of the car).

_____

in the same spot in the road I had to stop for a 180lb white tail female deer. jumping over the guard rail and almost on to the hood of the car with her hoofs. and I wondered how that deer lived so long to get so big.
Sounds like a good spot for a wildlife tunnel.

·
Registered
493 Posts
My father hit a charging horse trying to commit suicide back in the day in a head on collision.

The horse bounced in the air and successfully committed suicide.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
A little hard to know speed of impact at the actual time of the impact. I was driving along at 55 mph. Eyesight had one second or less to detect and apply the brakes and I do remember hearing the collision avoidance alarm, so it was trying ... Likely Eyesight did have some effect, as I agree, the damage doesn't look like what I would expect from 175 lbs of bear being hit at 55 mph.

How much did eyesight slow me down before impact? I'll never know.
How did you determine it weighed 175lbs?

·
Registered
'17 OB 2.5i Limited w/ES
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
How did you determine it weighed 175lbs?
That was the estimate of the deputy sheriff. The actual accident report said "young male bear, 1-2 yrs, approx, 175 lbs. " ...

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
It actually looks to be around 125lbs at most judging from its size compared to guardrail...... which in reality is good for you as a 175lb bear would have done far more damage...... I've hunted bears for quite some time and taken many...... my daughter bagged a 200lb bear last year. If I could upload the pic you'd notice the big difference, especially in the head size. 175-200lbs isn't much difference. Bottom line is if it were 175, you'd have totaled your OB and possibly yourself in the process. I got it to load....the guy in the picture is 6'3" and my daughter is 110lbs with her 200lb bear.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 30 Posts