Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
'01 Outback H6 LL Bean
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tire choices are getting confusing for me. What was great a few years ago are okay or unavailable today. One of the best features of my '01 LL Bean is ride quality. Smooth is the right word. Handling well can require "gas-on" in the turns or understeer occurs. Staying on the gas causes a fine quick turn-in. The LLB does not lean.

I also have an '02 WRX with Conti Extreme Contacts; now the DWS types. The WRX has neutral steering; a true point and shoot car. Ride quality is nice but harsh on bumps; as expected on a sportscar. I love these tires but they are not available in the touring tire size 225/60/R16 that my Bean calls for. I am thinking of going to the 225/55/R16 with it's thinner sidewall; thus about 1 inch shorter height ! I can deal with the speedo reading higher. However, I am very concerned about the lower profile, stiffer sidewall affecting my smooth Bean ride. There are just too many bumps in the roads here in the NE. I already have another car, my WRX, that lets me know every bump.

My question is whether this tire size downsizing can be a good thing with the soft sprung LL Beans. Also, has anyone tried 215/60 or 55/R16s on their LLB ? Thanks for any and all replies...

·
Registered
01 Subie Outback-base
117 Posts
No help here, but in march I plan on going to 215/55/16, mainly because I'm switching to wrx rims.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,040 Posts
There's so very little justification here for changing from the FACTORY INSTALLED size. Its almost always a bad idea.

225/60R16 is one of, if not thee MOST common tire size. Surely you can find something in that size you like. I LOVE my Yokohama AVID Ascends in the summer. Handle very well, and do well enough in the rain and in the dry. Super quiet, too. And low rolling resistance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts