Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have had 4 f150s and now a Crosstrek for the last 2 years (4th Subaru). Looking at either another f150 or the Outback XT. Was wondering if anyone else jumped ship from a truck.

·
Premium Member
2019 3.6R & 98 Forester Atlanta, GA
526 Posts
I had a 95 Tacoma V6 5spd extended cab that I traded in on my first Subaru. We still own that Forester.

·
Registered
2016 2.5i
1,618 Posts
We have both (F150 and 2016 Outback) and need both. They are such different vehicles that shine in completely different areas. I am surprised you'd as that question.
IMO it's an easy question to answer: if you don't need the F150 for hauling or towing, get the Outback. Much more practical for everyday use, more fun to drive, better gas mileage.

·
Registered
2017 Outback 2.5i Limited
119 Posts
I didn't really jump ship but I temporarily own a 2003 F-150 to help haul junk off the property I purchased a few years ago. My automotive history is all small cars or wagons so a truck is well outside my norm. My take... How do people daily drive those things? I had to daily it for two weeks when my wife's Jeep was down waiting for a driveshaft. I couldn't wait to get my Subaru back! Much better handling, smaller and a lot less thirsty at the pump.

I will admit that the interior of my truck (despite having lots of wear, tear and screw holes from it's life as a former fleet work truck) has no squeaks and rattles while my Subaru interior sounds like it has a million miles of squeaks, creaks and rattles...

·
Registered
2018 Outback 3.6R Limited with Eyesight, Forest Green
81 Posts
I went from a 17 year old F150 that I was the first owner of to a 2018 Outback. Basically happy, but miss having a bed and the even more upright seating. I don't want a truck bad enough to get rid of the Outback though. My wife's VW is getting close to time to replace and she might end up with the Outback and I'll get a smaller pickup. We really do like the Outback, but there are things I miss.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
83 Posts
I kept my Suburban when I bought my OB. I still use it to move my 11000 pound sailboat from the yard to the crane. I can put 4X8 sheets of material in it and close the doors.
A Subaru is not a replacement for a truck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yup, I agree not a replacement. The reason I sold my truck is that I became disabled from an autoimmune. Was hard getting in and out and was hoping to be able to move a little better by now to get in a truck. Sold my 21' bass boat as well as I was a Capt for over 20yrs and now not fishing since this happened. Just cant stand not having my truck although this Crosstrek is a nice little vehicle. lease is coming up and looking at options. just wanted opinions.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, 2019 Ford F-150 Ecoboost (3.5)
35 Posts
We own both - 2019 Subaru Outback Limited with the 2.5 and a 2019 F150 Lariat Crew Cab with the 3.5 twin turbo.
Before this last pickup, I've always owned pickups with a V8. I have toys I use the pickup to tow/haul, thus one of many reasons for me on a pickup. I will say, the 3.5 with the 10 speed in the pickup is a blast to drive. As others pointed out, comparing the two is like comparing apples to hamburgers....(about the only common theme they have are they are both vehicles) For a family of 4, the outback is comfortable to travel with, but my F150 does it better with a larger cabin both front/back and with the tonneau cover carrying capacity is that much more for longer trips.

I enjoy my wife's outback, and she loves driving it, but I prefer sitting up more than sitting back (if that makes any sense)

If I was in your shoes where I didn't need a full size truck, me personally I'd probably be giving the mid size trucks a look before an outback just from the fact of hauling items from yard waste to gardening tools, gas cans, hunting...etc.

The Outback is highly respected by me, but only you can decide what all you need it to do and if it will fit that. If you lean towards the F150 for whatever reason, but don't need the large towing capacity....I have heard a lot of positives about the 2.7.

Steve

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
83 Posts
When I was looking for a new vehicle, it was down to an Outback of Honda Ridgeline. I still have second thoughts on my choice to get the OB.

·
Registered
2018 3.6R Limited
83 Posts
When I was looking for a new vehicle, it was down to an Outback of Honda Ridgeline. I still have second thoughts on my choice to get the OB.
Even with the Suburban I don't have an open bed to carry tall items or load loose sand, mulch etc. I have to pull a trailer .

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, 2019 Ford F-150 Ecoboost (3.5)
35 Posts
So, I went back and read the added responses (including the one I am quoting here)….I probably got so excited about adding something since I owned both of them.

As for a midsize truck....I haven't sat in many of them, however I did have to drive a GMC Canyon as a rental when my wife hit a deer with her car before we got the outback. From the standpoint of getting in and out, I actually found my full-size truck easier to get in and out of than the mid-size.

But the real reason for this post was you touched on having to sell your boat and giving up fishing.....I feel for you on this one. Grew up fishing MN and ND, and shortly before I was asked to relocate to South Dakota, I sold my boat in the spring time to maximize the profit looking to upgrade in size for a growing family. I put the boat purchase on hold until we got ourselves down here and settled in. I went without a boat for about a year and on the weekends, I just didn't feel right. Seeing others heading to the lake and pictures on facebook….it stunk. Most of the weekends, I drove my wife nuts being around 24/7....until she finally had enough and told me to get the darn boat!

From one fisherman to another, sending well wishes, and I hope you get better to the point of getting both a pickup and a boat!

Steve
my truck is that I became disabled from an autoimmune. Was hard getting in and out and was hoping to be able to move a little better by now to get in a truck. Sold my 21' bass boat as well as I was a Capt for over 20yrs and now not fishing since this happened. Just cant stand not having my truck although this Crosstrek is a nice little vehicle. lease is coming up and looking at options.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, I went back and read the added responses (including the one I am quoting here)….I probably got so excited about adding something since I owned both of them.

As for a midsize truck....I haven't sat in many of them, however I did have to drive a GMC Canyon as a rental when my wife hit a deer with her car before we got the outback. From the standpoint of getting in and out, I actually found my full-size truck easier to get in and out of than the mid-size.

But the real reason for this post was you touched on having to sell your boat and giving up fishing.....I feel for you on this one. Grew up fishing MN and ND, and shortly before I was asked to relocate to South Dakota, I sold my boat in the spring time to maximize the profit looking to upgrade in size for a growing family. I put the boat purchase on hold until we got ourselves down here and settled in. I went without a boat for about a year and on the weekends, I just didn't feel right. Seeing others heading to the lake and pictures on facebook….it stunk. Most of the weekends, I drove my wife nuts being around 24/7....until she finally had enough and told me to get the darn boat!

From one fisherman to another, sending well wishes, and I hope you get better to the point of getting both a pickup and a boat!

Steve
Just found a 2010 Platinum with 39809 miles. hmmm, asking 24500.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My first Subaru was a Forester that replaced my Yukon Denali. I had to rethink things a bit and downsized from an 18 foot side console to a 16 foot tiller for my fishing needs. The tiller ended up being an excellent change and I don't think Id ever go back (albeit I do want a larger tiller). In between the Forester and my current Outback I had a Dodge Ram which was great but I missed my Forester the entire time.

I have access to a truck when I need one but everytjing else I can easily do with this Outback. I will be taking it moose hunting in the fall and get all sorts of scratches on it but the only limiting factor on those old logging roads will be puncture resistance of the tires I have.

I doubt I will go back to a truck after this but with Subaru discontinuing the manual transmission I may be driving something other than a Subaru

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yup you are correct. My wife kept telling me the same thing. You can always borrow a truck if needed. We are getting a limited XT. Thanks

·
Registered
37 Posts
Unless you are hauling stuff regularly you don't need the extra expense of running a truck. So many people buy F150s nowadays just for the macho factor and they rarely ever haul or pull anything. I have an F-350 for bigger stuff but 15 years ago I bought a 4x8 trailer for the Outback. Often I don't even need the trailer because of fits in the Outback. With a towel on the dash I can fit 10' long 2x4s in the Outback and still close the rear gate. Using the trailer on long trips hauling a quad, furniture, car parts or whatever is so much cheaper in the Outback than a truck. We haul the 48 Indian to road runs around the country in a small enclosed trailer. The gas saved vs a running a truck is significant on a long trip.
Last year my brother was hesitant to sell his F-250 4x4 for fear of not having a truck. After some convincing from me he bought a smaller aluminum trailer and a hitch for his Forester and sold the truck. After a year he has had zero regrets and glad to be free from the upkeep costs of the truck that wasn't used that often..

·
Registered
2010 2.5 CVT Premium
949 Posts
A trailer does an outstanding job of hauling anything you might put into a pickemup truck.
Renting one for a day is usually about $20. Enclosed or open trailers are available from uhaul and they have a lower loading deck than a truck. Less convenient than having a truck in terms of just going and getting done what is needed but the advantage of not having to store, care and feed a truck or trailer is a good trade-off for me.

·
Registered
868 Posts
A trailer does an outstanding job of hauling anything you might put into a pickemup truck.
Renting one for a day is usually about $20. Enclosed or open trailers are available from uhaul and they have a lower loading deck than a truck. Less convenient than having a truck in terms of just going and getting done what is needed but the advantage of not having to store, care and feed a truck or trailer is a good trade-off for me.

having had many trucks and enjoyed the convenience of loading and going, I opted for an outback class vehicle with a hitch and trailer for those times when I need to haul something of bulk or weight that can’t be hauled in the OB. It’s a reasonable trade off..... I have and 8’ all aluminum trailer that is low to no maintenance.... npwhen needed, I just insert the drawbar to the receiver, attach the trailer and go..... this way, I has
e the best of both worlds 👍

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have had 4 f150s and now a Crosstrek for the last 2 years (4th Subaru). Looking at either another f150 or the Outback XT. Was wondering if anyone else jumped ship from a truck.
Just did the same. I miss being able to load anything in my truck. Maybe a trailer is the answer to hauling now. :cautious: I do like my’15 ob.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts