Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Outback premium. Tungsten metallic.
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sure did, in fact I didn't bother to test drive the '19 Forester because it had s/s. On 9/27 my Outback was side-swiped by another car, and luckily my insurance company decided to have it fixed for $14,400.. If they had "totaled" it, and because my area's '19 models were all sold, I did not know what I was going to do. Normally I would have just paid a bit more for a new '20. I may be keeping the '19 longer than I planned, unless Subaru starts making s/s EASY to turn off for a given trip (instead of fooling around with the touch-screen).

·
Registered
2019 Outback
14 Posts
I sure did, in fact I didn't bother to test drive the '19 Forester because it had s/s. On 9/27 my Outback was side-swiped by another car, and luckily my insurance company decided to have it fixed for $14,400.. If they had "totaled" it, and because my area's '19 models were all sold, I did not know what I was going to do. Normally I would have just paid a bit more for a new '20. I may be keeping the '19 longer than I planned, unless Subaru starts making s/s EASY to turn off for a given trip (instead of fooling around with the touch-screen).
I upgraded from a 2016 for these exact reasons: annoying start-stop and my infotainment unit was all possessed.

·
Registered
2019 Limited 2.5
42 Posts
I was worried about direct injection as well, but if I’d known about the stop start that would have been another reason to buy my 2019.
I have to admit the main reason I like my 2019 better than the 2020 is I’m enamoured with the classic outback big round fog lights 😊

·
Registered
313 Posts
Port injection, the 3.6 vs. a turbo, no start/stop, a head unit with buttons, dials, and touch functions, and generally a model with bugs worked out. Those are attributes I value based on direct experience with the alternatives.

That and I really like the 2019 overall just as it is. It’s one of the best vehicles so far (7,600 miles) I have owned.

EJ

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's one of the reasons I bought a 2019 3.6r. I hate the start/stop. I rented a 2019 I think it was BMW X3 when on vacation a couple of weeks ago and it had this feature. I hated it with a passion. Thankfully the disable button was right below the start button or put the car in sport mode. Kudos to BMW for making it easy.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 2.5i
227 Posts
I avoided the 2020 for other reasons. I actually had a touring XT on order, the dealer was going to swap out with my 19 for no charge, just cost difference. When it came in and I test drove it, I felt the interior was a bit 'cheaper'. The dash was a harder, cheaper seeming touch material, same with some of the trim elsewhere in the vehicle. I wasn't a fan of the HU either, but I could have gotten used to it. The real turn off for me was during my test drive the dash had a terrible buzzing sound and just didn't seem well put together. Also the emissions specs on the XT are horrible with 4 times the NOx and two times the CO levels of my 2019, 2.5. I thanked the dealer for the offer and passed keeping my 2019 2.5 touring. Rock solid, although I'm having the transmission ground cable rattle noise now that it's cold. I picked up a pack of zip ties to tie it down this weekend.

As far as start/stop, I didn't mind it. It would have been nice to be easier to turn off, like my old BMW was. The Forester has a button on the dash, I don't know why they didn't do that with the Outback. But the implementation was pretty good really. You stop with normal force on the brake pedal and it doesn't engage, but then give it a bit extra shove and it engages. I could get used to that. S/S was hardly my reason for passing on the 2020 XT. The thought of not having to deal with direct injection is nice too. My wife has a Forester XT, and I know at some point she'll need a valve cleaning.

·
Registered
2019 Outback Limited 2.5i
71 Posts
the main reason I like my 2019 better than the 2020 is I’m enamoured with the classic outback big round fog lights 😊
This.
And the loss of physical controls on the dash and more crap chrome trim. I liked the look of the XT but have made the wife's new nineteen look even better minus the funky trapezoidal fog lights, and without the gas guzzling and emission spewing turbo, which I'm sure would be fun(ctional) at times. Would have wanted a Limited XT for the black leather and acoustic side glass.
We traded in a Prius and I have a Gen 1 Insight in the garage so start/stop I know, but it can't be the same with an ICE engine cranked up by the starter and 12V every time. The hybrids spin it up with the electric motor and it's running instantly. Some anecdotal comment on google: "But the restart process with the new Outback is quite abrupt and unrefined (the system in the 2.4-liter turbo version was smoother)." So, someone with an XT, what is smoother than "abrubt and unrefined" like?

·
Registered
313 Posts
I left out that my 2019 OBT has a sleek, “add on” style of roof rack instead of the tinker toy thing on all the 2020s. Also, far less “look at me, I’m an outdoor guy” black cladding.

EJ

·
Registered
2018 2.5 Outback Limited and 2010 Forester Premium
137 Posts
On a trip to Iceland a few years ago, I rented a VW six passenger van, manual transmission, diesel (I think). It took me a couple of days to even realize that it had stop/start, it was so subtle about it.

I haven’t tried the new Subies with this feature. I’m surprised some find it so annoying.

·
Registered
2019 Limited 2.5
42 Posts
I rented a Chevy Traverse with 3.6 L v6 and the stop/start on that was almost unnoticeable. My 2019 F150 with 5L V8 is just the opposite - very abrupt and annoying. It all depends on the execution I think.

·
Registered
2019, Subaru Outback Limited 3.6R
579 Posts
Add me. I absolutely hate start / stop on any vehicle.

·
Registered
2019 Subaru Outback Touring 3.6R, Crystal White Pearl
487 Posts
No did so to avoid possible first-year problems and like the h6.

·
Registered
2017 Outback Premium, silver
406 Posts
Wife and I purchased a '19 Mazda 3 hatch in early Sept. I just yesterday learned it too has stop/start, what Mazda calls "I-Stop". It's completely unnoticeable, but as I've learned with Mazda, they do things smarter than Subaru, this seems one of those times.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Port injection, the 3.6 vs. a turbo, no start/stop, a head unit with buttons, dials, and touch functions, and generally a model with bugs worked out. Those are attributes I value based on direct experience with the alternatives.

That and I really like the 2019 overall just as it is. It’s one of the best vehicles so far (7,600 miles) I have owned.

EJ

Pretty much sums up why we went 2019 Limited 3.6 vs. waiting.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts