Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did quite a bit of Christmas traveling over the last few days. A trip that should've taken about 8 hours ended up taking nearly 11 due to severe blizzard conditions. Combined with the below zero temperatures, my Outback looked like a popsicle. The last 120 miles was 2 lane stuff that had snow drifts big enough to get anything without AWD stuck. I imagine it would have too if it wasn't 2:30 in the morning.

I filled up in one of the last towns before the MT/WY border and obviously turned off the car. When I finished filling up and started the car, I had a ton of lights on. Eyesights was disabled, traction control wasn't functional, the CEL was on, and the red BRAKE light was flashing. I've read about this and figured I didn't secure the gas cap well enough, but I did.
I'm back in Billings now and went to the dealer after getting the front windows tinted. They told me the code that got thrown was an emissions one that they'd seen 5 times today already. Apparently the evap canister is in a really vulnerable position and has been freezing. Subaru has made a relocation kit and my car will be going in next week.

I didn't ask if this was exclusive to 2013 models, but if you live in the snow belt, it may be a good idea to have this taken care of preemptively.

·
Registered
2013 Outback - 3.6R Limited, EyeSight/Nav/MoonRoof/Kitchen Sink.
683 Posts
Were you able to drive the car from that point? Or did you have to have it towed?

·
Registered
2007 Chrysler 300C built 5.7
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes you're still able to drive. But cruise control is disabled and I wouldn't want to drive back to Missoula without that. It's more alarming and annoying than it is problematic.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 2.5i CVT 2002 Impreza Outback Sport
15 Posts
I'm tryin to find my evap canister for my 2012 outback and can't find it, where did they put those **** things, and I'm curious where they moved yours to keep it from freezing, I'm havin issues with mine malfunctioning too

1 - 4 of 4 Posts