Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, a guy in a Subaru truck, wearing a Subaru shirt/hat/badge, came by my house looking for my WRX. Evidently, he is tasked with replacing pass side airbags. Of course, my car is 30 minutes away with me at work.

Didn't say anything about my wife's Outback (which has had a like-for-like swap already) getting an upgrade. She didn't know enough to ask.

Seems to be out of a regional office in Georgia? not sure

When I do the airbag thing, much rather do it at a local dealer. Easier to go back if they mess something up.

·
Registered
17,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I do get letters and emails from Subaru every month or 2 about my airbags. If one of those mentioned this visit, I missed it. Somewhat freaked-out my wife. But I think it's legit, wonder what member @Carl Abrams or any other Subaru employee could findout about it? Maybe NHTSA is pressuring manufacturers to speed-up the work? Any other make of cars getting house calls?

·
Registered
17,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
2001 VDC/SC One of a Kind
13,700 Posts
If the dude has a notebook with SSM on it, ID and knows you own the car, then all you have to do is see if he has your VIN loaded in his notebook with appropriate software updates for the car. He would also have had the part and know that the air bag hasn't been replaced yet.

Who is going to go that far as to have a new pricey part, tools, a computer and dress up as a rep to scope the house. (That could be a movie theme.)

·
Premium Member
2016 Outback 3.6R Limited w/ EyeSight
268 Posts
Well, I do get letters and emails from Subaru every month or 2 about my airbags. If one of those mentioned this visit, I missed it. Somewhat freaked-out my wife. But I think it's legit, wonder what member @Carl Abrams or any other Subaru employee could findout about it? Maybe NHTSA is pressuring manufacturers to speed-up the work? Any other make of cars getting house calls?
Why ignore the communications?

I didn't know Subaru made house calls. Rofl.

·
Registered
2016 Outback 3.6R Ltd. w. Eyesight
200 Posts
May be worth checking with your regional SoA rep and/or your local police department. Sounds extremely scammy.

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,080 Posts
we are in the land of Subaru here and I have NEVER seen anyone come up and offer to recall repairs in my driveway. Better lock that car up in the garage and chain it to something.

·
Registered
17,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Why ignore the communications?
Yeah, I am very lax in taking care of the issue. It is extremely rare for me to have a passenger in my WRX and I guess I'm just not convinced the situation is all that dangerous for me here in N Tx. Also, it seems if I HAD done this earlier, I would be RE-doing it as the first program was a like-for-like swap. Indeed, I may take our Outback in before my WRX as we often have 2 people in it. It has had one swap already.

·
Registered
2020 Outback, 2020 WRX, 2011 Legacy, 2005 Legacy GT wagon
22 Posts
Yesterday, a guy in a Subaru truck, wearing a Subaru shirt/hat/badge, came by my house looking for my WRX. Evidently, he is tasked with replacing pass side airbags. Of course, my car is 30 minutes away with me at work.

Didn't say anything about my wife's Outback (which has had a like-for-like swap already) getting an upgrade. She didn't know enough to ask.

Seems to be out of a regional office in Georgia? not sure

When I do the airbag thing, much rather do it at a local dealer. Easier to go back if they mess something up.
I am from WV down in GA working. I have one Subaru that still needs that airbag replaced, Its in storage in Wv, but I am getting letters about it to my GA address. Maybe Ill start looking for a Subaru trucko_O

·
Registered
17,413 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
LOL - what if the Subaru airbag truck was like an ice cream truck! Just blasting a tune rolling up and down neighborhoods hoping to find some work.

what tune would it play? I vote for Horse Outside by Rubberbandits

HA!

·
Registered
2010 Outback 3.6R 2014 Legacy 2.5i 2003 Legacy L special edition (retired to backup)
1,080 Posts
Wait...Subaru makes a truck?!? ?
Just got my replace-the-replacement recall letter yesterday. Interestingly, this one does not have a warning about sitting in the passenger seat.

well technical you could they used to make trucks. One could classify a BRAT and a Baja as a truck.. as they both had beds that were somewhat usable

1 - 20 of 35 Posts