Subaru Outback Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2006 OutBean, 2005 LGTW
1,187 Posts
I recently received a stern letter from DOT requesting me to go in for the recall on my Legacy GT. I hadn't gotten one of those before. Every so often I still get a letter from SOA. I really don't want my local dipshits touching my car if I'm honest. I considered pulling the dash apart for them to replace the airbag but other projects have taken precedence. I'd like to wrap the top of the dash while it's apart anyways. I should probably get to that but I think it would be hilarious if someone showed up to do it. Maybe I'll wait :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,172 Posts
I suppose the local dealer service operations could be overloaded with this added recall work, but if that were the case, they really ought to be telling owners in advance that they have authorized an independent contractor to come directly to your location and do the work, and to offer an opt out.

The way this unfolded - with no prior notice given - is rather creepy. Even if legitimate, once word of it gets out, it could spawn look-alikes in fake uniforms walking around neighborhoods with lots of Subarus in driveways, ringing doorbells, and asking for your keys to do the recall.

Imagine how that police report would look: "A guy came to your door, asked for your keys, you gave them to him, and he got in your car and drove it off? Have I got that right?".

I do wonder how much work they get.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Limited Forester (hers) (4th Subie), 2014 Impreza Premium (mine)(#5)
2,295 Posts
Well, I do get letters and emails from Subaru every month or 2 about my airbags. If one of those mentioned this visit, I missed it. Somewhat freaked-out my wife. But I think it's legit, wonder what member @Carl Abrams or any other Subaru employee could findout about it? Maybe NHTSA is pressuring manufacturers to speed-up the work? Any other make of cars getting house calls?
From the looks of his business card, he works for Market Source, which is a legitimate company out of Alpharetta, Georgia. It appears that, as we're getting into the newer and newer cars that need airbags, due to the concern for older cars simply not having the work done, they're simply doing this to GET them done. I'd guess third party, hired to do the work, because you can't be bothered to actually get the work done - and I know that they HAVE to get a certain percentage of them done.

·
Registered
85BRAT97SVX03Baja5mtHonda's
2,165 Posts
I have 2-3 letters for my BAJA passenger airbag recall. I also got a call, from a lady representing Subaru. and I quote, she said " your BOJJA has a recall". She couldnt even pronounce BAJA correctly. No joke.
I told her i took the airbag fuse out and disabled the system, and that nobody but me drive the thing or rides in it. 7 months of the year my BAJA is undriven, and uninsured, and I sure dont have time to take it to a dealer 70 miles one way distance.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I actually now work a little closer to the only dealership I have much faith in so, I will try to schedule the work soon. I'd rather have a physical place nearby than have some issue from the work crop-up later and not be able to figure who to contact or have them get into some finger-pointing war.

·
Registered
2008 OB Limited 2.5i, Portland OR USA
5,172 Posts
.... I know that they HAVE to get a certain percentage of them done.
This would explain why they're going after the recall work so aggressively, I guess. I wasn't aware of any such requirement on the manufacturer, and it would seem that they're rather at the mercy of the car owners cooperating, if that's the case.

My wife's 2011 Prius had a safety recall in 2018, 18V684000, involving SW control of the Hybrid Synergy System. They had had some of these systems shut down at speed, resulting in accidents after loss of control, and they were much more assertive about doing the recall than I ever remembered Toyota being with their other recalls (there have been 6 total). After our ignoring the letter for a while, they actually called us twice from some (guessing here) telemarketing firm hired to contact owners - which I thought was a scam until I realized they weren't selling anything, but they were online live with the local dealer's online service appointment system and were actually booking the appointments then and there. Once I realized it wasn't a scam and they were that concerned about getting it done, we finally took them up on it.

·
Registered
Outback 2011 3.6R Premium
1,041 Posts
In Australia there have been two deaths from faulty air bags being deployed. One of them was in a Honda CRV where the driver had is jugular vein sliced open from the shrapnel of the passenger side air bag!

Car companies here are now buying back pre 2000 model vehicles that there are no replacement model air bags available for.

The car industry here is taking this very seriously, I suspect this is due to the potential of a law suit.

Seagrass

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Once I realized it wasn't a scam and they were that concerned about getting it done, we finally took them up on it.
I'm pretty sure it's only the legal department concerned about getting it done.

I've been getting letters, emails and phone calls for the last 5 years from GM to bring the Camaro in for the ignition key recall. Now it's become a joke and waiting game to see how long they continue with their efforts.

My wife currently has one on her '17 Forester for the possibility of the passenger side airbag being deactivated. Subaru sent out a nice letter explaining the recall. Loved the last paragraph stating that oh by the way, the parts are not yet available to repair the issue and look for another letter. So far have not seen another letter.

·
Registered
03 H6 OBW & 06 WRX Sportwagon
17,321 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I think Carl's post explains it. He works at a dealership and I trust his analysis/investigation of the situation.

Dunno who is nuts enough to print door hangers,cards and puts a decal on their car and makes a badge to get access to a 14 year old Subaru with a mis-fitting bumper and messed-up clear bra. Plus, not 'casing' the target well-enough to know what the work schedule is of the driver. 'possible' scam? yeah, but very unlikely. Just weird. If Ford or Chevy did this in Texas, someone may have had a gun waved in their face !

21 - 31 of 31 Posts