Subaru Outback Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now I know it's winter and I live in Michigan. But my new 13 2.5i premium has 1400 miles on it and it is averaging just over 20 mpg. Most driving is suburban areas. I could see 2 mpg down from 24 cause its new and cold out. But 20mpg is way too low. I bought this car excited about the mileage and I am not happy at all. Love the car otherwise, and it seems to run/ drive fine, but 20 mpg is really bad. Anyone else.

·
Registered
2013 OB 2.5i Premium/DDD Graphite Gray Metallic OP#2 Weathertec Window Deflectors
405 Posts
Not only it's cold, but we are buying winter gas now (reformulated) Are you running your defrost all the time? Did you try different fuel?

·
Registered
2013 Outback 2.5i 6MT
27 Posts
Now I know it's winter and I live in Michigan. But my new 13 2.5i premium has 1400 miles on it and it is averaging just over 20 mpg. Most driving is suburban areas. I could see 2 mpg down from 24 cause its new and cold out. But 20mpg is way too low. I bought this car excited about the mileage and I am not happy at all. Love the car otherwise, and it seems to run/ drive fine, but 20 mpg is really bad. Anyone else.
Hi! Congrats on the new Subi! I had the same issue in the beginning during the initial break-in period, but since then my mpg's have since leveled off.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
You should see a better numbers the closer you get to 3000 miles. The only caveat is snow and ice covered roads combined with running additonal accessories and your gas stations winter mix are all going to combine for lousy mileage. Before winter rolled around I was getting about 27mpg around town. Now I'm around 22.

·
Registered
2019 2.5i Touring (Wilderness Green)
376 Posts
I get a little more in heavy traffic city-style driving. Not much more though. But to be fair, my 2001 was rated about 21 city and I got 17mpg when I had to do a lot of driving like this. The 2013 seems to hate ultra-short trips. I find it very easy to rev up the 2013 and it requires a light foot when cruising. Running the heater when the engine is cold eats extra fuel, more than I would have expected. Enough to make it hard to stay above 21 mpg. All these variables make it hard to pinpoint how much each contributes, to be honest. And you haven't said much about your driving habits.

Have you been able to get a rough measure on the freeway mpg during a single trip? I can get 31+ including a bit of surface streets easily. In winter it is harder, but still doable.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback Premium 2.5i All-Weather+Moonroof Venetian Red Pearl W/ Ivory Coth
571 Posts
It gets better with mileage. We are at 7200 almost ready for the first service and now getting better mileage. 2.5 Outbacks especially love gently rolling state hwy diving 60-65 mph. I was able to get 35 mpg on a gently rolling hwy a few times. I agree with you drigin on snow and ice really cuts the mpg. Also the Outback is one of the heaviest 30 mpg hwy vehicles on the market so use your momentum to your advantage, i.e. if you know a big hill is coming up (you ive in Michigan so unless you are driving up the driveway to Boyne mountain Resort there arent many other hills other than coastal bluffs : ) gradually increase your speed before getting to the hill. Also I have found that cruise control with a CVT is a detriment to mpg. Its more convenient but doesnt get you the best mpg. I havve also heard that once you get your first oil change the mpgs go up a little. Subaru uses a lot of white grease in the crankcase as well as around the pistons (my guess is that this is the prevent ceasing on crated motors from japan at the plant in Lafayette). The oil change will get this grease out. I have seen photos of floating white grease in used oil especially on the first change
Jon

·
Registered
2020 Outback Limited, 2.5, Non-Turbo
113 Posts
Poor 2013 Mileage So Far versus 2011

I too am getting poor mileage so far in my 2013, but only 2,500 miles so far. That said, the mileage is REALLY low...compared to my 2011 at the same miles. I'm lucky to get 20 mpg in suburban driving (forget 24 in city driving!). Granted, I have the big roof carrier. But I did also on my 2011.

The poor mileage is in warm So. Cal. weather, not snow.

In snow, the car also does worse...much worse. On trips to my cabin, I used to get 30mpg, even with snow and some slow mountain driving. Now I'm lucky to get 27mpg on the exact same trip.

I am going to be patient, but it seems like something isn't right.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the land is pretty flat here. I drive with a light foot, and according to the gauge it gets much better once warmed up. I have had 30 ish on the freeway. But for 3 tanks of fuel figured out manually it's 20-21 mpg average. I'm really hoping it improves after the first oil change. Ill probably run amsoil as well. ( Might help .25 mpg, lol. That should be once it warms up too. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited, PZEV, Satin White Pearl, SAP, OEM Hitch, Body Side Moldings, Door Edge Guards, Wheel Arch Moldings, Splash Guards, Rear Seat Back Protectors, Rear Bumper Cover, Pin
88 Posts
I had WAY better mpg's on my 2011, 2.5 Outback with almost 20K on it, than I am getting with my 2013 with 1800 miles on it.

Everyone says it gets better, let's hope so. I think it will;)

·
Registered
2013 2.5i Limited w/ EyeSight
106 Posts
2013, just over 5K miles and I get below 24. In fact, the only time I got over 24 was on a drive from Los Angeles to Sacramento. I had the cruise control set at 75MPH and got just under 25MPG on the last leg of the trip after I had gotten through the stop and go traffic in SoCal and after I had gone over The Grapevine.

I do not wind this thing out at all and I can't even hit the low end of the mileage scale.

·
Registered
2012 Outback 2.5 i Premium
474 Posts
75 is a little fast for the Outback especially if you have any add ons that create drag. I've found that the sweet spot is between 60 and 65 for 30+ figures unless you like tailgating. Running the AC at full blast hurts my mileage as well.

·
Registered
557 Posts
it will get better after the first oil change and more mileage.

for now check your tire pressure, too.

when the winter blend gas goes away we will all be happier :)

joel

·
Registered
2019 Outback 3.6r Limited
162 Posts
Only have 400 miles on mine. Averaging 20.7mpg in 50/50 mix of highway and rural roads. Sure hope it gets better!

·
Registered
13 Outback 2.5 Premium CVT
340 Posts
Just over 4000 miles and my worst tank was 27.1 my best was 31.4

Every car board I have ever been on I always read the mileage, power, ect ect gets better and I have never found that to be the case, any increases I got was a result of learning what the vehicle likes and dislikes, not some magical mileage on the odometer.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
2013, just over 5K miles and I get below 24. In fact, the only time I got over 24 was on a drive from Los Angeles to Sacramento. I had the cruise control set at 75MPH and got just under 25MPG on the last leg of the trip after I had gotten through the stop and go traffic in SoCal and after I had gone over The Grapevine.

I do not wind this thing out at all and I can't even hit the low end of the mileage scale.
Cruise control set at 75 will net you about 25mpg out of a 2.5. At least that's what mine gets. If you want 30mpg, try doing 55-60 and not using the cruise control.

·
Registered
106 Posts
75 is a little fast for the Outback especially if you have any add ons that create drag. I've found that the sweet spot is between 60 and 65 for 30+ figures unless you like tailgating. Running the AC at full blast hurts my mileage as well.

The speed limit is 70MPH on the freeway I was on and I do not have any add ons on the vehicle, I even took my bike rack off for the trip and folded the cross bars back in to the rack. I usually try to stick to within 5MPH of the speed limit.

Around town, I get about 22, commuting (50% highway) I get just under 24.

I don't expect to ever see 30MPH, and I don't care if I never see that. I just can't justify any reason that I can't hit the city driving MPG on a mixed use tank, unless the figures were fudged or there is a problem with the car.

My previous vehicle was a 4door Jeep Wrangler, I was somewhere between the city/highway mileage estimates from day one.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Cruise control set at 75 will net you about 25mpg out of a 2.5. At least that's what mine gets. If you want 30mpg, try doing 55-60 and not using the cruise control.
I don't want or care about 30, I just expect to be within the city/highway estimates unless I am lead footing it around town. If I ever feel the need to do that, the outback is not the car I am picking from the garage.

·
Registered
2004 Outback Wagon, 2.5, 4EAT, All weather package.
1,036 Posts
You take fuel estimates with a grain of salt. My Outback should get 19 in the city (most of my driving is city). Realistically I see about 16-17mpg this time of year. Highway it is supposed to get 25, I've seen 27 on an all highway trip.

Now my old '95 Grand Prix was supposed to get 18 city. In the winter, I'd see more like 14. But on the highway I would see 30mpg though it was rated at 26.

Always keep in mind though, this time of year you have a LOT of things negatively affecting your fuel economy:

1. Winter blend fuel does not burn as efficiently and nets you less mpg.
2. You are letting your car run longer so it can warm up
3. Ambient temperatures are cooler and by nature your car will run a more rich fuel to air ratio than when warmed up.
4. Snow tires increase rolling resistance significantly
5. You are running the defroster, which runs the A/C compressor, which increases drag, and causes a loss of power and economy.

·
Registered
2011 Outback 2.5i Premium, CVT, Steel Silver, all-weather package. Upgrades: Tweeter kit, BlueConnect, media hub, remote start, Curt 2" receiver hitch.
1,127 Posts
I agree with most of you. I see no reason I shouldn't get at least the city number!
Depends a lot of your commute. I used to live 30 miles from work, and I got 28 MPG most of the time. I recently moved to a house that's 2 miles from work, and I get 20 MPG. The engine is not fully warmed up by the time I get to work (often just reaching 190-195 degrees), and I basically leave my community, zoom up to 50 MPH, and then hit a series of traffic lights... Make a U turn, zoom back up to 50 MPH, and then turn into the parking lot at work.

I spend a LOT less on gas now, but my mileage is terrible.

Before, I was averaging 75 miles per day at 28 MPG, which cost me about $9.37 a day. Now I drive about 8 miles a day and get 20 MPG, which costs me $1.40 a day.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts