Subaru Outback Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 2013 OB Limited and I'm sure there is something wrong with the allignment of my rear hatch. It never closes easily and from time to time when opening it I feel it flexing around, almost like the allignment is off.

I'll get the dealer to check it out during my next service. I only have 3870 miles on my car. Anyone else having this issue?

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Get and install the rear deck grab bar! There is nothing to hold/grab, when you are closing that rear deck ... I have/had it on all my Subarus - third car in a row now...

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I'm embarrassed to admit this but the first couple times I tried to close the hatch it wouldn’t stay shut until I realized my finger was hitting the release button as I was placing my hand on the grab handle to shut. Now I'm just careful where I grab the hatch when I close it.

·
Registered
514 Posts
The handle/latch system doesn't work as well as it should. Almost since the beginning, my latch handle stays stuck in the "open" position, like the springs in there are not quite strong enough to pull the mechanism back to the "closed" position after slamming the back door.

I have had to actually pull the handle back out when it has become stuck like that. I realize I live where there is much salt on the roads many months out of the year, but hey, this car is **SUPPOSED** to be built to take that kind of driving, isn't it?

I ended up pulling all the interior panels off to look in there and the best I could see there was some rust on the little rods that come from the latch handle, I ended up spraying lubricant on all the moving parts and all the hinged-parts that the latch handle pivots on. Still, the thing doesn't work all the time like it should.

To pay the amount I paid for this car, I should not be having problems like this almost since day one. Now, if I had purchased a new car for 12K dollars, I might expect things to be chinsy, under-constructed, but I didn't, we spent nearly $30,000 for our car brand-new. The car should be built better in a lot of respects (like the leaky head gaskets and the leaking valve covers on the 2.5i engines)!

·
Registered
921 Posts
fleuger99,

It seems that there are some answers in here that answer a question that was never asked, but that's how forums go...

Are you parked on some sort of uneven ground that would cause your car to torsionally flex? That seems to be the cause for people with that same problem. Its the nature of cars or vans with large cargo areas to flex a bit under these conditions that may cause what you're experiencing. That has been discussed here previously.

But if you mean that the hatch just doesn't seem to close all the way (does the door open light come on in the dash?), then a simple striker adjustment will fix that. Just pull off the plastic trim to reveal the striker plate, loosen the bolts and move the striker plate a tad closer to the rear. Tighten the bolts and check the door. I have done this and the door can close without having to slam it anymore. (There I go with an answer to a different question :D)

·
Registered
921 Posts
There's also recess built into the bottom right side of the rear hatch meant for you to stick your fingers in to shut the hatch. If you use that you don't have to get your hands all dirty by touching the outside of the door.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Get and install the rear deck grab bar! There is nothing to hold/grab, when you are closing that rear deck ... I have/had it on all my Subarus - third car in a row now...
More info, please? I have no issues with my hatch latching, but I hate watching my wife put her hands on the finish, when she closes it. I use either the license plate, or the tail light.

·
Registered
921 Posts
More info, please? I have no issues with my hatch latching, but I hate watching my wife put her hands on the finish, when she closes it. I use either the license plate, or the tail light.
See the post right above yours. There's a place to grab the door built into the bottom. No need to touch the paint.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
See the post right above yours. There's a place to grab the door built into the bottom. No need to touch the paint.

Well, I use that all right, but that only pulls the hatch down.........if you leave your fingers in there when you push the hatch shut, you will be visiting the emergency room.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Well, I use that all right, but that only pulls the hatch down.........if you leave your fingers in there when you push the hatch shut, you will be visiting the emergency room.
Ahh, I see. My hatch will close itself by the time I let go of the inside recess/handle thingy. But I park on level ground most of the time. Of course, YMMV.

It's kind of like the way people shut the hood. You can hold the hood about 8" from closing and let gravity do the work, or you can be the type that gently puts the hood down and then presses the hood shut. I guess it lies within one's personal tendencies.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
I'm with ya. That's why I was disappointed to see the Chrome Rear Garnish discontinued in 2012. I thought it looked sharp and was in the perfect spot to use as a "helper" without flexing or scratching.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Just move to Vermont and drive your OB all year round. Guaranteed, after several years, you won't care too much about hand prints and dirt all over the exterior of the rear door. :(

You WILL BE happy just to have a vehicle that goes and gets warm inside.

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Look above... and, if you don't like chrome, they also have it in black ABS plastic...

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
Ahh, I see. My hatch will close itself by the time I let go of the inside recess/handle thingy. But I park on level ground most of the time. Of course, YMMV.

It's kind of like the way people shut the hood. You can hold the hood about 8" from closing and let gravity do the work, or you can be the type that gently puts the hood down and then presses the hood shut. I guess it lies within one's personal tendencies.
Problem is, when the car is dirty and you want to "press it gently" your hand will be full of dirt, salt, etc etc. Rear deck has nothing to grab other than the small hand openning inside the rear gate panel. A woman's hand with long nails would have hard time closing it "slowly and gently"... in my opinon!

·
Premium Member
7,529 Posts
I use the logo. It's large, central on the hatch and I won't damage the paint while closing the gate.
Subaru logo on 2013 is actually not on a rear deck - it's on a trim panel that is affixed to the rear deck. That trim panel is not that sturdy and, if I am not mistaken, there are some problems with that panel (see previous posts) whereas the panel moves or expands at high heat and chips the paint around the rear brake lights. There is a service bulletin or even recall on those flimsy panels...
Closing the rear deck by grabbing the Subaru logo is therefore not advisable... in my humble opinion!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
About this Discussion
24 Replies
12 Participants
rockthebeef
Subaru Outback Forums
Welcome to the Subaru Outback Owners Forum, we have tons of information about your Subaru Outback, from a Subaru Outback Wiki to customer reviews.
Full Forum Listing